How do u feel about pit bulls...?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 12barblues, Jul 18, 2012.

1. 12barblues

Gold Member

If someone living next to u owned one....would you be comfortable with that? Any real concerns with the breed or are they simply misunderstood?

2. OverSinged

Gold Member

depends on how they treat it. If it's the family pet and they're constantly getting attention and such, you should be fine. Just don't be threatening towards their owners, they tend to not like that.

If they're just left outside to basically fend for themselves, you might have cause to worry.

3. 12barblues

Gold Member

Thanks singed....I'm hoping to get lots a feedback on this...I want everyone's opinion please...so give me your 2 cents folks...thanks

4. Splendid_Thoughts

Gold Member

Most agressive animals are victims of their upbringing. Any animal has the potential to be a problem if it is not treated properly...they are all originally wild animals after all.

Having said that, some breeds are more prone to aggressive behaviour...check the family history/breeders records if you are not sure.

Treat them right and you'll have a friend for life

5. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Can't say much different than what's been said. A lot of dogs called pit bulls aren't even pit bulls, and the breeds generally aren't any more predisposed to being aggressive than any other breed, it's all about the upbringing. It's a lot like the "assault weapons" ban. Many of the guns banned aren't even "assault weapons" they just "look mean and dangerous", which is what happens to a lot of breeds of dog. They "look like they could be mean and do major damage" and people get all uncomfortable. Proper pit bulls, AmStaffs, and other "bully breeds" can be incredibly loving gentle and loyal animals. They just have to be raised right. Just like peoples kids.

You can find further evidence of this by looking at vids on youtube. Lots of evidence of perfectly adjusted dogs on there, laying around with toddlers, playing with cats/kittens, etc.

6. Super

Super New Member

I have kid so I'm a little more paranoid. With pitbull its what happens when they do attack that you have to worry about. Theses dog are breed for fighting and can be vary aggressive. Personally I would not trust the dog.

7. Barbwire

Gold Member

One thing you need to consider is, if it's an unaltered male dog or not and if he has been used for breeding.

I've worked with dogs of all breeds both professionally and non-professionally and the dogs that I watch out for most are breeding males. In my experience, intact dogs tend to be much more territorial which can lead to aggressive behavior.

Also, and this is where I might butt heads with pitbull lovers.......pits were bred to do a job and their conformation shows that. They have massive jaw muscles and the ability to lock on like no other breed.

They also have bred into them a tendency to be "bull" headed, i.e. once they are onto to something, they are ONTO it. They require a firm hand and commitment by the owner to always have the upper hand.

So, yeah, pitbulls, are bred to be fighting machines but, thank god, proper training can make them the most delightful of dogs.

Would I want to live next to a pitbull? That would depend on if it was a trained one or not.

8. Courtbear

Courtbear Member

I have owned several pit bulls in my lifetime. My mother trusted me home with the dog more than most babysitters. They are loyal dogs and get a bad rep from people that do not understand the breed. A feral pit bull is just as tame as a pit bull that has been put through obedience school.

The "bull" headed tendencies come from the people that fight or abuse the dogs. It is a learned behavior more than natural bred attribute. They tend to protect their human family by barking quite loudly. I have seen abuse cases where the pit bull only wants love and attention and then others where the abuse was so bad that the dog wanted to chew everyone's hands off.

Basically, the breed got a bad rep that they do not deserve. If you are not sure about how to interact with any type of dog, you shouldn't try to play with it or pet it. ALL DOGS CAN BECOME VISCOUS IF TAUGHT THE WRONG THINGS. Working at a no kill animal adoption center, I have seen my share of breeds and to be honest I am more terrified of a Jack Russel than a full grown pit bull or doberman pinscher.

9. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

All comes down to the owner. They tend to be a little more aggressive than other dogs, but they still have to be taught to be mean. I know a couple who after having a baby got one simply because pitbulls look scary (for extra security.) It's the sweetest thing though if you go up to it and pet it.

10. 12barblues

Gold Member

Thanks guys....I guess what scares me is the potential for harm if the dog decides to go after someone...I can kick a jack russel across the room ( if it went after me )but a pit bull? I've had the chance to work with one a bit..and honestly it was the strongest dog I ever worked with and it wasn't even mature...just look into the mouth of one...it's nothing like looking into the mouth of a collie. And then there's the news reports that we always hear..where the owner says the same thing all the time, " he was soooo gentle, he wouldn't hurt a fly, I just don't know what triggered him" ..usually said after the dog mauled a 2 year old child...
    I understand that any animal can bite, or attack. Any breed , but a pit would kill my 8 yr old daughter in a flash if it wanted to....

#10 12barblues, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  11. osaruomo

osaruomo New Member

12. Super

Super New Member

A+ on you last post 12.

13. 12barblues

Gold Member

It's just my opinion as of now...but I'm kinda hoping to be talked out of it....I love animals, dogs in particular. Rots and dobermans got a bad rap for a while too but then that seemed to change with time...

Please keep the comments coming , as I'm very interested in everyone's opinion on this....thank you.

#13 12barblues, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  14. Kulprit88

Kulprit88 Member

I've had a few pits and been around a lot of them. Currently have a 10 month old pit. Her name is cupcake. She is treated with respect and we get nothing but love back from her. They are awesome dogs when raised right.

In example. My mom had one when i was in high school. Perfect dog. My friend across the street had a male from the exact same litter. He left his outside and threw it scraps every now and then. He had to have it put down cause it was to mean.

15. Kulprit88

Kulprit88 Member

I don't hesitate to have my dog around my kids.

Pit bulls at one time were considered nanny dogs. The parents would go work the fields and the dog would stay behind with the kids. It's not the breed that is bad it's there owners.

And yes, they are strong. Very strong.

16. GreyGoose

Gold Member

They are great dogs it's the assholes that mistreat them and fight them that give the dig it's bad rep

17. Kulprit88

Kulprit88 Member

Highly intelligent, they want to please there master. They don't like to be in trouble.
    They can be protective of there family's. And the best part, no matter how friendly they are people are intimidated by them. I lOve the look on a sales mans face after they knock on the door and she's there growling with her fur standing up. Once I stand up and open the door the tail goes crazy, back to wagging.

18. 33stack

Gold Member

One of many "loving nanny dog stories u can google":

The Nanny Dog
    UPDATE 06/19/12: The mother of an infant killed by a pet pit bull last week called the baby's death a "tragic accident" and expressed disbelief that the Nanny dog pit bull that seemed to "watch over the infant like a protective parent" would kill the baby. "Never in my life I thought that would happen," the mother said in an interview Monday. The 27-year old mother moved into the single-story apartment 2-years ago with a girlfriend who owned three male pit bulls.

After Tyzhel was born, the mother said she had no worries about letting the dogs interact with her son. "They loved him from the beginning," she said. The fatal bite occurred as baby Tyzhel was playing in a room across from his mother. When he crawled into the bedroom, where his mother and roommate were, a pit bull named Zulu suddenly bit him on the head. "It just happened so quickly," she recalled. Sheriff's detectives continue to investigate the baby's death.

Notably, all three male pit bulls, Blue and his two offspring Hercules and Zulu, were separated at the time of the incident. One was fenced in the backyard and the other was in a crate in a different room. The owner of Zulu agreed to put the dog down; it was euthanized Tuesday. The other two dogs were released back to their owner. Outside of killing two cats that entered the fenced backyard, the dogs had been friendly and well behaved, according to both women.

19. Kulprit88

Kulprit88 Member

Shouldn't leave ANY infant around a dog unattended. Hell I wouldn't leave a infant around my cat unattended.
    Any dog is capable of doing that. A pitbul could have been playing. It doesn't take the strength of a pit to crush a infant.

But since it's a pit bull it makes the news, people spread it and the bad rap continues.

No one will ever evaluate where the mother was when this was happening. The story above contradicts itself. Saying that the fatal bite occurred in another room then he crawled into the room where mom was.

Either way. It's the dogs fault.

20. Kulprit88

Kulprit88 Member

Pit bull isn't the most likely to bite or attack. But due to its strength it's most likely to f**k you up when it happens. That is the main reason why pit bull attacks are so frequently known. You never hear about a man hospitalized by a chihuahua. It's not gonna happen. But I've been bit by numerous chihuahuas. In fact, our pit was bit by one.