How do I deal with stuff outside my job description?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I'm an R&D engineer, my job description explicitly states that and states that I am involved in the entire development process.

Now they are trying to get me to act as a QA engineer and an installation engineer and the post-development process. It's only temporary, but I'm not qualified or willing to do either job. I told them that they needed to move me back to my job as outlined in my written description, or renegotiate my contract, where I would demand additional compensation.

Is there anything else I can do to make sure that my employer respects the job description that I was hired for? I'm more than qualified to find another job, but other than the past month, I like where I am.

2. Dogooder

Dogooder New Member

Well I'm a bit old school. I believe as long as your not asked to do anything illegal, immoral, or unethical you do what's asked of you. I'm sure that's not the answer you were looking for so let's move onto option 2. Talk to your boss.

By that I mean to sit down and discuss what your and his expectations are not for just now but the future as well. This will probably be difficult because let's face it, interpersonal communication skills aren't exactly the strength of an engineer or an engineering Mgr. You're gonna have to work hard on this one.

Ok now this is where I get a little pissy with you. I've worked with and for many a r and d engineer. There's the selfless dedicated type that do what ever it takes to arrive at their objective. Doesn't matter how much time and effort it takes, they'll do what ever is required. But for everyone of them there's the Lazy Ass Primadonna type who feel entitled to whatever they want because " I'm the RD engineer and your not. So which are you?

Told ya I'd get
    pissy.

#2 Dogooder, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. 12barblues

Gold Member

Being a blue collar kinda guy .... I'm in a different world.. You either do what the boss asks, or they train another monkey to do your job...I suspect you may have a little more leverage in your field.....

4. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

At least you like the job that you are at. I've been stuck in my current career/job which I hate with a passion and finally graduated college last year and for almost years worth of job hunting almost everyday...I have yet to find anything decent or get a call back or interview despite being told my resume and skills are great. In this economy I guess you gotta do a bit more to stay in a job or get ahead. I'm in the same situation at my job...now they have me acting as our on site IT guy but I don't get extra pay for it...but I haven't gotten canned yet like others have in our firm.

5. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

Maybe if you don't know what you're talking about, should just take a hike. Do you even realize that R&D and QA and installation are all completely different skill sets? That's like asking the architect to do the construction or a construction worker doing the electricity. Just because they are very similar does not make one qualified to do the other, and those who are qualified to do both, get paid more to be qualified to do both.

Software development has a cycle, it goes through a lot of people.

Marketing > executives > software architects > software engineers > programmers > QA testers > installation
    My job are the three in the middle, my job IS done, it's the next step in the pipeline's job. It's not my job to do QA testing any more than it is marketing's job to make executive decisions about it. Why don't you look at what the job I mentioned actually is instead of insulting me. You said you did R&D... if you did QA too, then you did not do R&D. Developers should not be the same people doing acceptance tests because we will just copy our unit tests. Would you write a paper, you edit it, but then as the last step, you have someone else take a second look at it, and they always find more mistakes because they have a different viewpoint on it.

I pity your view. The people have worked really hard to get rid of the class system, yet people like you keep it propped up. A boss isn't entitled to ask you to do something you weren't hired for any more than you are entitled to choose to do something you weren't hired for. You talk about entitlement like it's the workers who pretend they have it, yet you just said you think bosses are entitled to ask whatever they want. If that were true, what the fuck was the point of signing a contract?

#5 ninja08hippie, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  6. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

You've only been out of school a year, keep with it. A few more years of technical experience and you'll be able to go anywhere. Hirers just don't want inexperienced people ;) You'll be able to leave soon, I had to do crap that wasn't my job when I was starting out too.

7. HotForHoney

Gold Member

For someone asking for opinions, you seem harsh on the ones who offered them. It's almost if you wanted people to agree with you.

If you don't feel qualified doing the other job, you should discuss that with your boss. Otherwise, I think you should be happy you have a job. Job descriptions change over time. If my boss told me he wanted me to stand holding an apple for 8 hours I would if it meant I had a job.

If you think it's so easy to go get another job, quit and get another job.

8. Plate

Plate Member

My position is this; if they can get you to do just a few things outside you job description, then they'll have you responsible for more. Then you'll be staying over to complete the work, then then then. . .. . Where do you stop? When an employer has you jumping through hoops, getting to work before breakfast and staying til late in the night? Do you pull your bosses shoes off and massage his stinky feet too? Just because the American politicians sold out the American worker and unemployment is common place, do we need to do what ever they say? How much do we give up? Are we to all be slaves at minimum wage, renting because we've all lost our houses, walking because we've all lost our cars to the repo man? When and where do we say, " that's not my job, I was hired to do this"

9. SWOJLO

Gold Member

I'm with Dogooder and 12BB for the most part on this. I also employ quite a few people. Running a firm involves managing people which is mostly matching tasks to skills. Everybody within the firm trusts and relies on my decisions and guidance for their livelihoods as well as the overall strength of the company. That's how I've earned my leadership roll. I don't know anything about your employer and I never will but I know how long people with your attitude have lasted working for me and those of us left in my business are better off today as a group than we would be if I had kept them.
    You asked for honest opinions and got one from Dogooder. Take it for what it is and don't get bent out of shape over it or just don't ask for it. I'm pretty sure you and I are never going to agree on much. However, I will at least listen to your point of view and try to learn from it. Learn how to either deal with you or possibly change my opinion and agree with you. I think the world needs a lot more of that.

10. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

I've got 11 years of experience in my current field...I'm trying to get out of it and into the one I went to school for and get into a new career field that is a more interesting line of work and rewarding. It's tough though when you have 11 years of architecture/engineering experience and you want to transition into criminal justice or behavioral health.

11. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

What is the point of signing a contract with a written job description then? It's just a formality in the US?

I'm not bent out of shape that some people think jobs are whatever the boss tells you, I got bent out of shape when he started calling me a lazy prima donna. I just thought a contract was supposed to be honored both ways, I don't know what that's considered lazy. I always would consider making someone do two jobs for the salary of one is exploitation.

#11 ninja08hippie, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  12. Plate

Plate Member

What they are saying is that you're suppose to honor the contract but the boss can do whatever they want because, "jobs are hard to find" so anyone should be lucky to be taken advantage of by their boss. What they mean is if he tells you tomorrow your job now includes making his morning coffee, shining his shoes and giving him a blowjob, well hell, be glad you got a job. If he tells you, take this package down the street to the guy in the black sedan, don't ask what the hell it is, just be glad you got a job.

13. Country_Lily

Gold Member

Job positions evolve over time and maybe they want to see if you can do it and then they may offer you a promotion of some sort. I'd do it for a little bit to show them how good I was but only if I felt capable of doing what they ask and then I would ask to renegotiate my position description and pay. Though it sounds like to me you don't feel qualified to do what they are asking so just tell them you would like more training before doing the extra work they are asking of you perhaps??