how are you feeling our us recession?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rys, Aug 30, 2008.

1. rys

rys New Member

I have noticed that more and more I am seeing cars and boats and dirtbikes type things for sale in peoples yards. when i am at school people talk about not being able to find a job, when others mention they have one there are always two or three asking if they can get them a job (i am at university level)

i have been reading at recession.org and though we are not in an exact recession right now it is obvious that something is looming

gas prices are still double what they were three years ago and i just lost full time status at my job because instead of laying us off they are just moving us to 32 hours per week but with messed up days and schedule which is really screwing with my classes

so anyway how are you feeling this recession, i am afriad barack obama will become president and then we will be deeper in the hole becuase of free healthcare BUT if we would jujst stop these senseless wars and bring all of our troops home we could afford it all

I am just scared and worried about what my friends and family will do even if I can tough through the storm and wonder if others feel the same way as me

2. Pestostyle

Pestostyle New Member

Hi I'm Pestostyle. We shouldn't be too concerned with matters like that which are out of control. Debt runs high and fast. I saw a stop sign with a label reading 'worrying' under the word stop. Concern really grows when I see local things like that. The issue may be out of our hands though sometimes.

3. bsxy420

Gold Member

in our area its mainly bigger trucks that are for sale. with the gas prices so high people cant afford those. and food prices just keep jumping up! its crazy. lunch meat use to be the cheapest thing to buy. now we (at my store) are carrying some thats 8and 9 bucks a pound.
    i just bought a new car so i am struggling a bit tryin to swing all the payments that we have taken on and still being able to buy gas for the car and groceries. as for the free health care that would bennifit me. so it sounds good to me. if more of the imigrants had to pay our taxes and for the health care that is being given out now was limited to the ones who actually needed it then we might be better off. but i am only speaking of my area. i dont know how the rest of the world does their help.

4. Dreama

Gold Member

Thank goodness hubby and I don't drive is all I have to say. :)

5. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

We're not in a recession at all. A recession is 2 quarters back to back of negative GDP growth, or a net fall in GDP.

We're not even close to that. Last quarter GDP was something like +3.3%.

So if you want to talk about a recession do it elsewhere, because we're not in one and we're not close to one as of right now.

As to rising gas and food prices I'll re post something from my blog:
    Thank you and have a nice day.

-A1

6. igor

Gold Member

Free health care ain't gonna happen.

7. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Nothing's free ... ever.

8. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Yes, that's true. Here in Sweden, we pay out of our asses in taxes for our "free" health care but it's considered way worth it. People here are more concerned about the well-being of their fellow human beings than about having a little more money. I do know that many Americans care only about themselves and would therefore refuse to pay taxes to support a health care system that would benefit everyone. The private heath care system would have to be abolished for such a plan to work.

Now we come to the main reason why I cannot live in the US at present and continue to live in Sweden.

Two little words: pre-existing condition.

I'm uninsurable in the US. This private health insurance companies are more concerned with making money than they are with helping people with chronic medical conditions who need regular doctor's visits and medications. Due to the high cost of medical care in the US, I simply would not be able to afford my medical care there, and since the insurance companies refuse to insure people who really need insurance, I'm basically screwed. I could suffocate in my sleep in the middle of the night (a distinct possibility for me without my medication) for all they care.

So anyway, here I am.

9. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Well, we are not in recession, but higher gas prices and the price of food are really a pain in the ass. I am still fortunate enough be be able to afford anything I need or want.

10. Katprr

Katprr New Member

Things here arent bad at all even with me recovering still.

11. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

First off, Being concerned for other's well-being doesn't justify the theft of people's wealth.

Second, we don't have a privatized system, it's heavily subsidized and regulated, and controlled by a monopoly known as the AMA.

Third, Puss you know better than to take a cheap shot at the greed of Americans with me around. :tsktsk

Fourth, we couldn't refuse to pay those taxes, the Government, and agents thereof, would put a gun in people's faces and tell them to pay up or they will throw you in jail or just take your stuff and sell it until they get what you "owe".

Lastly ... here is a short bit from an interview with a Swedish Economist who essentially states that without the US system, all of the socialized medical systems would fall apart because the US is where most of the advancement and cutting edge research is being done.

Socialization/nationalization creates more bureaucracy, more waste, more problems, and less productivity than a privatized one. Hell I'm currently uninsured and there's no other system in the world I'd rather live under right now.

12. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I'm not sure you'd still feel that way if you suddenly developed a chronic medical condition requiring constant medical care and expensive medications. How would you afford it? Everything you wrote may indeed be true, but you haven't yet addressed the problems of individuals like me.

I guess the government and the insurance companies must think that people like me going to die soon anyway, so why bother insuring us?

13. cbrmale

Gold Member

As someone who worked in our health industry I disagree with this statement. It is amongst the most efficient and effective in the world, and has generally better health outcomes at a cost that is a lower percentage of GDP than in the US.

Like Puss in Boots I have a chronic medical condition that requires ongoing treatment. My condition is probably genetic, and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. In my country I do not have to worry, as my out-of-pocket medical costs are well contained, especially in regard to my pharmaceuticals. The maximum I pay is $30 per prescription, and as diabetes is one of my side-effects, that's quite important.

On the bigger picture, recession is a long way off. I remember the oil price shocks of the seventies and eighties, and things then were very grim. I am amazed that our economies have stood the current stresses and continued to grow. I know people are doing it tough with rising prices against static incomes, but I also know that it's a much better scenario now than in decades past, and much better for all of us than anyone living in the third world right now.

14. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

*sigh* here we go again... *hands out ponchos*

As for how our lovely economy is affecting me...

Hows about me finally getting a job after being unemployed for 4 months? Yah, my lovely restaurant management degree is doing me wonders working at Best Buy... Basically the restaurant industry is in a world of hurt right now because of the aforementioned rising food and gas costs. not only did the cost of food go up, but many of the delivery companies such as sysco, sygma, et. al. are now tacking on "fuel surcharge" fees to their deliveries, so the restaurant industry is getting screwed twiceover. Many small independant restaurants have been forced to close, leaving existing managers forced to take lower paying "entry level management" jobs that are usually taken by wetnosed graduates like me.

15. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

The system is only effective because you've built it on the back of US ingenuity. And if you think socialization is effective I recommend you take a look at the likes of Britain or Canada. Canada, as a nation has only 60 something Uterine Oncologists. That means government rationing, and that means waiting lines to get care. Do not fight with me on this, please. People in Britain can't get timely dental care because the NHS system 1. Doesn't encourage people to get into medicine and 2. it can't handle the number of people. I can cite journal article after journal article after published Econ papers that show that socializing medicine does nothing to bring the cost down and does everything to increase the red tape. As for your work in the industry, anecdote =/= evidence.

Do I think there are problems with the current US system? YES

Do I think that we need to get rid of a bunch of stupid shit like the FDA? YES
    (after all it takes +1 billion US dollars to get a drug through FDA testing, not to mention the actual production of that drug)

Do I think we need to get rid of the AMA? YES! It's a monopoly in the medical community that carries WAY too much lobbying power in Washington.

And No Puss, I don't think that you're worth less because some insurer thinks you are going to "die soon". Goddamn, you know me better than to accuse me of that sort of crap.:mad

16. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

You are quite on the mark here actually! I work in the land development industry, and also as a new business consultant. Rising gas costs have driven up the cost of all raw goods, including building materials, landscaping materials, etc. etc. etc. Subcontractors have raised prices, builders are having to cut home prices because the loan fiasco has scared the shit out of buyers, even those of $8k to $1M+ homes like we sell. The poor realtors are not making commission, so it is very sketchy for all involved right now. We are not selling lots, so we are not making a profit. Thank God our owner has endless pockets!

On the other side of my particular coin, the same owner/investor is bankrolling a startup in a different industry that also has government funding. That operation is a research concern, and we have found that we are getting great deals on start up costs because the vendors need the business. We live in a high cost real estate market, and in one of the top medical research and technological centers in the country. We found major rental space for pennies per square foot. The lack of new start-up companies and those driven out of business lately has been a bonus for us.

So some win, some lose. I hope you find a job soon, hun. Come on down to NC. There are plenty of new jobs here for your industry, and our city is one of the best for young people to work, live, and be social! ;)

17. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

You know, just as an aside, even though I'm not working in the industry I went to school for, thanks to the economy, I actually am better off for it. Many people hate retail, but for me, its heaven. Less stress, less chaos, MUCH better hours than the restaurant industry...And working for a major company like Best Buy has huge advantages in terms of benefits, room for advancement, etc. In terms of pay, I'm making the same as a lowly salesman as I did as a shift manager at a cafe in san francisco. So I guess you could file that under the "some win" category. I've found something that I not only enjoy but also isn't heaping stress on me by the truckload like the restaurant industry.

18. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Oh come on, A1. I never said or implied anything of the sort. What I did say is that the government and insurance companies in the US must think that people like me (those with chronic medical conditions) are not worth insuring. As far as I know you aren't associated with either of those entities, and I never said you agreed with them. The only thing I said that was directed right at you was that you might change your mind about thinking the US system is the best system in the world if you suddenly found yourself in my shoes.

19. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Nope, even if I found myself in those shoes.

20. Dreama

Gold Member

I wouldn't mind contributing to the well-being of other people. I actually think it would be cool. At least I'd know where my tax dollars were helping out, instead of riding down the highway and thinking, "Roadwork again? We just finished renovating this a year ago! It was fine! I pay my taxes for this???"