Horsepower Fans ... Rejoice!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AnonymousOne, Aug 7, 2008.

1. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

This is one of the most well done videos I've seen in a while ... and honestly ... who doesn't want to see a 1300+ horsepower car tear things up?

Oh and just for all you American Iron guys ... That 1375hp car is a Supra! :D

Streetfire - QB2 Productions

This is just mindblowing.

2. Jayce

Gold Member

Smoke from burning tires gives me a hardon.

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

Hell, I'm an old American iron lover, but I like my rice rocket too.
    Those guys in the video must love the sound of their rev limiters, most of the ones drag racing weren't shifting till they were coughing out too. Dragging straight out of a burnout... not sure how they got the times on that without staging. I wish they would give me a running start at the tree.:lol

My bad ass little MP5 - Grocery getter (covered with South Carolina spring pollen)
    [​IMG]

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

They weren't staging. On their blog they had the ad for the event, they just rented the drag track for a night and were doing 1/4 pulls from a roll rather than a dig. Also, remember that running a 91mm turbo, that puppy is going to spool up like a motherfucker at high revs on the 2JZGTE engine in that Supra, you build boost in 1st until that thing fully kicks in ... and when it kicks it will obliterate you.

5. HardRocker

Gold Member

Yeah that's true, I didn't think of that. Gotta to be the funnest way to drive a turbo. Wish I had some boost on my Mazda, but I love it anyway. Great vid, A1.

6. Jayce

Gold Member

I'll take my 2001 elantra which is in need of an oil pan and new front axle any day of the week!

140 horsepower, man. ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY. If that doesn't sound better than sex, I don't know what does.

7. HardRocker

Gold Member

Hey, 140hp at the crank is okay for a runabout if it weighs less than 2800lbs/1270kg and has a manual tranny. Probably putting 110hp on the pavement. I have a 2007 Sonata LS with a 235hp V6 and it runs like a scalded dog. Great passing power for those back road beach trips.

P.S. Don't forget to check that engine cradle for rust.

8. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Heh ... 102 hp ... crank ... when it came out in 1994.

Still, the little bastard gets ~40mpg highway. Given Gas prices ... I can't bitch too much.

9. heelfetish

Gold Member

Talk about a narrow powerband. :down That Supra was a dog until that huge-ass turbo spooled. Sorry, but I'd take one of those Vettes any day. Impressive, yes. Just not for me. :)

10. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Wow...that is impressive for sure A1....:eek
    But I'm afraid I'm with Heely.....even though I drive a turbo'ed 6 cyl. car with just under 1000hp less.....there's just nothing like cubic inches and the sound of a V8...
    Sure they go pretty hard,but most sound like someones just stepped on a cats tail.:hyper

11. HardRocker

Gold Member

You must be running some awesome boost, Hot Wheels. Is this an engine you built?

Yeah, nothing beats cubic inches except more cubic inches. That's puttin' Meat On The Street. :cool The biggest engine I ever built was a Plymouth 440 for my friend's '67 Barracuda. That was a cool car, especially the way the back folded flat and you could lay down stretched out and still have plenty of room to maneuver. :D

My old race car was a '67 Camaro with a little 4 bolt mouse motor and a Muncie Rock Crusher 4spd, but it ran good and took punishment with no tears. Ran low 13s. No dynos and fancy shit, just blood sweat and tears one man production. Learned as I went along.

12. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Ssee I must just be part of a newer generation.

The banshee scream of turbos is music to my ears!

13. heelfetish

Gold Member

Each has their place. Not a fan of hearing them bounce off the sky-high rev limiter though. I like the Supras posted, but that peaky power just couldn't be much fun to actually drive day to day. The more linear power of a big V8 would be so much more drivable. :)

14. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

You can get V8 style performance with a proper turbo build.

A great example is the Twin turbo VQ35DE engine kit made by APS for the Nissan 350Z.

It all depends on turbo size, tune, fuel, etc.

15. HardRocker

Gold Member

Hey, I'm up with the times too, I like turbos, just don't know how to work on them. Superchargers are good. :D I'd like to trade my MP5 for a MazdaSpeed 6 hatchback.
    I just feel more of accomplishment to get raw HP out of a normally aspirated engine... that's just me.

16. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Actually one of the guys on a car forum I'm a part of is building a Mark I MX5 for the Nurburgring. He's looking at getting a small turbo and low-comp pistons for the miata. Looking at around 260RWHP in a car that weighs ... nothing.

17. heelfetish

Gold Member

Oh I realize that. And I *heart* the look of the 350Z. I was just referring to the monstrous Supras in the video. :)

Please don't think I'm demeaning the cars, we all have our preferences. :tup

18. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Of course not. Honestly, the VQ is a decent engine, but I wanted a Z that wasn't the size of a freakin' whale!

The problem is that you can't get much above 450 flywheel on the VQ without having to pull the engine apart! :(

19. heelfetish

Gold Member

My cousin used to have a nice 300 ZX Turbo. Just stock, but man that car was fun to drive. :) I'm trying to remember the year for certain, but for the life of me I can't.

20. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

If i ever have money and time I want to buy an OLD 240z Datsun, restore the exterior and drop an RB26DETT into it.

Something along the lines of this:
    [​IMG]