Honeymoon Cystitis? REALLY?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by I.Hollywould, Aug 9, 2007.

1. I.Hollywould

I.Hollywould New Member

So yes. I just started having sex. And when I say that, I mean REALLY having sex. Six times in three days. Sounds awesome, right?

NO. VERY WRONG.

As a result, I've come down with "honeymoon cystitis," also known as a Uterine Tract Infection. It is caused by frequent sex, as often experienced on honeymoons.

Anyone have some home remedies for me? I can't go to the doctor (too far - plus, I don't want to move at all). I know about the cranberry juice thing and have a friend on the way with some.

Any other solutions? I'm so very miserable and I just want it to go away. I'm missing the last day of my summer class because of this. It really sucks.

2. xplodez

xplodez New Member

since your new to having sex, you should know, that after each round of sex you should go pee, force yourself to uninate if you have to but rite after sex do that, it prevents bacteria from getting into your urethra and causing a UTI, ALOT of girls do that, you obviously never learned that part, my gf does it EVERY time. and she never has any UTI's

3. I.Hollywould

I.Hollywould New Member

I did learn that part and I did it - before AND after. Don't assume I'm an idiot just because I got sick; things sometimes happen regardless of how careful people are. I had UTIs before I started having sex. Your girlfriend is very lucky if she never gets any.

I merely posted for others' suggestions, not to be told in effect that lack of knowledge was what ultimately doomed me to this fate.

4. xplodez

xplodez New Member

i do apologize, did not mean to offend, some girls are not aware of that fact.. well its not a perfect preventor obviously, just was not sure if you were aware.. ah, if you already have them before you started having sex then your much more likely than girls who usually dont get them, because some girls dont get them at all except for sex, while others get them all the time.

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Cranberry juice doesn't always work but it's certainly worth a try. You should get the strongest stuff you can from the health food store, preferably without any added sugar. Ocean Spray won't cut it. Drink the whole bottle and then drink a half cup of water every half an hour until it no longer hurts to pee. If it still hurts after a day or two then suck it up and go to the doctor. The doctor will ask you to pee in a cup and if the test is positive he will hand you a prescription for antibiotics, which will clear up the infection in a matter of hours. Take the whole bottle of pills, even if it no longer hurts.

If I was in your situation I wouldn't even bother with the cranberry juice but would go straight to the doctor. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

6. Brad

Brad New Member

Am I right to think that you haven’t gone to the doctor?

If so, how can you be you really sure that it is indeed an infection of any kind?

I only ask because it might be something different.

Being male:

When I first started having sex wearing a latex condom, I could never understand why I had such an intense pain at my urethra after prolonged sessions. It was dreadful and lasted ages.

Only later did I discover that it was the latex that I was allergic to.

And with 6 sessions over 3 days, (as you mentioned), perhaps you have taken a bit of a pounding and suffered a bit of bruising which might explain the discomfort.

Puss in Boots gave good advice.

7. Barbwire

Gold Member

Urninary tract infections are not the sort of thing you want to self-medicate for. I strongly urge you to see a doctor, ASAP.

8. eandvk

eandvk Member

All the advice given here is exactly what my wife does.......she used to get UTIs from us having too much sex. Especially about peeing right after sex,regardless if she has to or not..........she hasnt had a UTI now in a very long time.

9. Cora

Cora New Member

Drink as much water as you can without feeling like you need to throw up. Going to the toilet with a UTI hurts a lot less that way, and the more you need to go to pass a higher volume, the more you pee the infection right out (I'm not guessing with that, that was advice directly from my doctor whenI had a UTI). Cranberry juice and sachets from a pharmacy are good, but they treat the symptoms not the cause. They alleviate pain when urinating etc... but you still have the infection.

I've had quite a few UTI's. And you can get rid of it, if catching it early, with the high volume of water etc... but not if it's gone too far already, and that can be deceiving. It can affect your kidneys if not nipped in the bud... so see a doctor early if you have any doubts about how it's going.

10. peta pumkin

peta pumkin New Member

Unfortunatly UTI's are a fact of life for many of us ladies. I have read and agreed with all the above replies , especially from Cora, but let me give you the benifit of my experience. I, despite the peeing bit was frequently affected with acute Cystitis, and I mean so acute that I had to urinate a few painfull drips every few minutes. It's incredibley debilitating and painfull. Several times I consulted doctors and was treated with the usual range of Anti biotics and also anti spasmotics, invaribly things cleared up quickly but before long another bout of the "Dreaded Lurgi". A Urological specalist diagnosed a strictured Ureatha and subsequently performed a dilation procedure[ouch]. (allowed a fuller stream of urine to flush the bacteria.) All was ok for a long while but AGAIN back to square one. Another consultation with a different Urologist and she prescribed an old fashioned Sulfa drug. This worked, apparently the UTI was resistant to the various Antibiotics. Despite being sexually active I have now been free of any problems for more than two years. I recall that during my bouts I could get some relief by drinking a full litre (quart) of water every hour and with each drink bicarbonate of soda (ENO) to reduce acidity of the urine. One tends to think that it would be better not to drink thus less pee, thus less pain but this is not so. I also take Cranberry tablets every day, they are supposed to protect the lining of the bladder and prevent any infection spreading there.
    Please let us know how things go for you, you may get some usefull new treatment from your Doctor

11. Bluesy

Gold Member

Ooh, I had a nasty UTI a few days after having sex for the first time (and there were at least 20 episodes of mad love-making in between ;)). I was away from home and didn't want to go to the hospital, so I put up with the pain and constant sensation of having to pee--bad idea. Nothing bad came of it, but I would advise you to not be as mule-headed as I was because that sort of infection can spread and cause even worse problems. Get the antibiotics.

I've never had a recurrence, but if I ever get another UTI I'm calling the doc first thing!

12. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

The first time I had a UTI, I was able to cure it by using the method Cora described, drinking lots and lots of water. But the second time I tried to cure it myself but almost ended up in the hospital. I had a minimum wage job and no health insurance and didn't go to the doctor right away. Eventually I got so sick that I had no choice. I went and the doctor yelled at me for waiting so long. One more day and I would have had an acute kidney infection, which would meant a hospital stay, and which would have been really expensive to cure.

The doctor prescribed sulfa drugs and this stuff called AZO Standard, a painkiller that turned my urine really bright orange, almost red, and made it look like I was peeing blood.

13. I.Hollywould

I.Hollywould New Member

A lot of great advice. I know that I should go to the doctor, but that is impossible at the moment. I'm due at a wedding all day today (it's going to be hard to get into a dress and feel attractive when I'm secretly in a lot of pain). Additionally, some of you mentioned that the doctors prescribe sulfa-based drugs - unfortunately I'm allergic to those.

I may go to the doctor tomorrow, but that is my birthday - of course, I suppose all the more reason to get the damn thing out of my system . . . but oh well. I think that this time, all I can do is just bear it. I've had a physical scheduled for Monday, so if things are still not-so-good, I will have ample opportunity to discuss this with the doctor.

I just can't believe the timing of this all. The UTI coincided with my last day of class, causing me to miss a good chunk of it. Plus, I have to be in a wedding 2.5 hours away, and my birthday is the day right after. Luckily, I feel almost normal at the moment and can just hope that the infection is gone (I did drink over 80 oz of cranberry juice, 64 oz of water, 10 oz of pop, and 10 oz of milk, so I had plenty of fluids in addition to the AZO someone above mentioned).

14. Cora

Cora New Member

Keep going with the water even if yoou're feeling ok now... you're not out of the woods as soon as you feel better with a UTI. You'll have to lay off the alcohol and still keep up other fluids even when at the wedding and your for your birthday. Try and have a good one anyway though!

15. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

In the meantime- along with drinking lots of water, many pharmacies carry over the counter Azo tablets. I would totally recommend you pick some up.

I have not gotten UTI's from too much sex, but my bf and I found that I get them from oral sex unless he brushes his teeth and tongue before we get to it

16. Dreama

Gold Member

I've never had a UTI. I didn't even realize I would get one from too much sex. Wow. I'll keep that in mind for the future. I don't think I'll stop having sex though.