Hockey

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by backcheck64, Jun 25, 2013.

1. backcheck64

Gold Member

#1 backcheck64, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

Great sport. I'm partial to the college game.

3. backcheck64

Gold Member

Both my son and daughter are goalies and want to play D1...preferably U of Mn.

4. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

A friend of mine went to the fights the other night and an ice hockey game broke out..... :lol
    Why dont you get the kids into something a bit safer...like UFC or something;)

5. backcheck64

Gold Member

USA Hockey closely monitors youth hockey, and you don't get it. This sport harkens to the gladiator days. We've got players that hide casts under jerseys and still play. It's a passion like no other sport has. During the playoffs, one player played 40 seconds ( doesn't seem long, but time it) with a broken leg, and still got off the ice, Shaw took a puck to the face at close range, knocked his ass out...next period he was stitched up and on the ice. With both of mine, they just have rock hard pieces of rubber flying at them at 75 to 90 miles per hour, though each are involved in at least one fight a year.

6. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Err...yeah right.....
    Hiding plaster casts, trying to play on with a broken leg and getting your face smashed by a flying puck.....sure sounds like awesome fun.....:eyes
    Where do we sign up?....:lol

7. backcheck64

Gold Member

You Aussies don't play hockey do you? I'm 49 and still play...and occasionally fight (have cut down from every game though)

8. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

I'm going to take sides with back check on this one. Its a beautiful sport. The skating is amazing to watch there are a lot of sports and everyone can't like all of them. I don't like rugby or australian rules football. I can't say that they are worthless. That's just selfcentered. Pick a fight somewhere else with BC. This one isn't worth it. He isn't wrong.

9. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

And btw, good luck with the college recruiting process. I've seen it from a few angles. Next fall when my son starts swimming D1, he will join 4 cousins who are college athletes. 2 of them are on athletic scholarship and went through the recruiting process. Since your kids are good students you will have an edge. One of my nieces is on half athletic scholarship and half academic. It made things easier for the coach since often they have worry about how many scholarships they have available. If they are good enough to consider minnesota then this advice is superfluous , but don't totally discount D3. I have another niece who is on an academic scholarship and is DR all american. When she graduates her resume will say "NCAA all american". That looks good no matter what.

10. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Yeah, we do actually.....on normal rinks in big arenas.....recently had a major tournament played here in Sydney....
    Also played on grass fields with a ball and just as competitive as the ice stuff...
    Nah mate....not picking fights......just stirring up backcheck a little....he takes the bait so easy but seems like a good sport....:D
    I can appreciate the skills involved in the game.....when you see figureskating you see obvious talent but when your doing basically a similar thing dressed in all that protective gear, swinging a hockey stick and theres a bunch of other people on the ice at the same time trying their hardest to stop you scoring it just all goes to another level...;)

11. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

Sorry didn't mean to poke my nose in a little fun.

12. backcheck64

Gold Member

Field hockey is not hockey. Lacrosse has harder hits than field hockey and lacrosse sticks are use literally as weapons, just don't make contact with the head or trip someone. I don't recall ever hearing of an Aussie player in the NHL. Most of Europe, Russia, Slavic nations, Canada of course, and now a bunch from the US, St Louis is a hotbed right now. You'd be surprised how little "safety" equipment hockey players actually wear. Several of our HS players hack and cut their equipment down to free up some movement, wear smaller pads, cut down shin guards on forwards, but you have to keep in mind, a hockey puck is a solid piece of rubber...FROZEN before the game, that can literally crush bone, rip skin wide open, and one stopped Chris Prongers heart during a playoff game with a hit to the chest. The thing is, the game has such passion, adrenaline, and emotion, you have a hard time keeping people from playing...even with broken bones, lacerations, etc. We have a doctor on the bench with medical superglue to patch up guys. He's even stitched up guys on the bench..but he plays so he understands. My daughter is one of the first on her team to throw a punch. My son will also drop a guy in a heartbeat if he's crowding his crease.

I don't guess you get Sports Science down there. They did a show and proved scientifically that hockey is the hardest sport to play, and at elite levels, are the most finely tuned athletes of any team sport. Another episode proved it's also the smelliest sport. Yah?

And yes Boobjob, the skating skill is actually higher than figure skaters. My daughter has several friends that are figure skaters, and she can outskate all of them, as my son can too. The core strength with hockey is insane. My daughter, at 14, is already getting looks and one offer already from a D2 school that's going D1, but they don't offer a pharmacy program. Education is both of their primary focus, with hockey being a second. My son said he won't attend a lower engineering school just to play D1 or D2.

13. biker061

Gold Member

this was another good final. was hoping for game 7 but the ending made up for it. since i had no sentimental interest in either team i could just watch and enjoy. i'd rather watch hockey than any other pro sport!

14. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

How about them San Jose Sharks and Thomas Hertl being an amazing 19 yr old player? Sucks he got hurt playing their past game but hopefully it's not anything major. Go Sharks.