Historical places

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HotForHoney, Apr 29, 2014.

1. HotForHoney

Gold Member

I saw a bumper sticker that said, "save xyz". Got my mind thinking.

There is a run down historical site by me that George Washington supposedly slept at one night.

If he came back, what would he say? That place was a dump 200 years ago? I'm honored you saved it?

What places would he be upset were gone.... Or anyone from history, or even your family.

2. backcheck64

Gold Member

No place where I live. These idiots were trying to save the old jail and spend millions to renovate it. The city finally voted to tear it down and build a new jail. Who cares. There's a few places in St Louis like the landing. They've already torn down the old barn (original home of the Blues) and the original Busch Stadium, those were landmarks.

oldkid likes this.
  3. MrMrsBiggerblast96

Gold Member

Washington wouldn't know about it, but the Biltmore Mansion in NC is being rebuilt and refurbished back to its former glory. The Vanderbilts would be proud to see their former home being displayed so beautifully by their ancestors

-Mr. B

HotForHoney likes this.
  4. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

My state is one of the "Shameful Past" states - most of the historically significant places in Idaho are "unsavory." Important, but unsavory. It's a shame that lots of them have been left unnoticed or unmarked - it's important to remember the negative as well as the positive so as to avoid repeating it - but I can understand it.

The places/things we do preserve here that are historical spark a kind of, "Yeah? So what?" reaction. There are a few exceptions, but generally that's the case. If anyone from Back Then were to see it now they would probably wonder why we saved that old miner's hut or the old school house but let the old fort fade to dust.

5. minskminx

Gold Member

Ok, this is a post that interested me. I can broadly describe myself as a historian as I am educated as one, although, sadly I do not get to work as one!

May I ask you a few things? Why do you think "the old miner's hut" or the "old school house" are lesser historical artifacts than "the old fort?"

Also, what makes something...anything..."historically significant"?

I know it would be possible to write at length on both these questions but perhaps you can put succinctly what you think. I would like to hear a 'normal' persons opinion :) , assuming you have no historical academic history.

CaramelLady and 10_3XL like this.
  6. oldkid

Now that's what really turns me on... a hotty with a working brain. I might add, I'd like to see your history in reruns. strokin.gif

CaramelLady likes this.
  7. JonJo

Gold Member

Over here there are so many that unless they are REALLY HISTORIC we don't bother preserving them.
    Our church dates back to 897, yes 897 and that has been preserved (and slightly modified) by constant use.
    15 miles away is an oak tree that has been/is being preserved because of its age and association in myth with Robin Hood.
    We are also preserving some of our closed down coal mines & factories, as reminders of our 'heritage' - more like future monuments to government stupidity (whoops, a rant).

CaramelLady and oldkid like this.
  8. minskminx

Gold Member

Ha! Yes, I am quite clever, on paper at least. Maybe one day my history will be a topic for the big screen....an epic with a cast of thousands! Well, perhaps not that many!

HotForHoney and oldkid like this.
  9. oldkid

And who paid the millions to restore it? The Vanderbilts, or you taxpayers?
    Old Cynic

10. oldkid

I love to review films, and obviously have time on my hands, send the tapes. waoo.gif

11. MrMrsBiggerblast96

Gold Member

The proceeds from the tours go to rebuilding it

-Mr. B

oldkid likes this.
  12. oldkid

Good use of the money. The source of money needs to be maintained.;)

HotForHoney likes this.
  13. MrMrsBiggerblast96

Gold Member

Couldn't agree more

-Mr. B

14. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Disclaimer: I'm no academic - my knowledge is amateur at best and gathered through personal study; no formal education.
    Those particular places I listed were my way of trying to say that the significance and importance of places in my area are (in my opinion) biased towards the mundane/day-to-day so as to avoid looking at the less pleasant aspects of the local history.
    Example: There is an entire cemetery near where Fort Boise used to stand filled with those that died in the local Indian wars. All the fighting was so that White settlers could establish themselves near the river and have access to potential silver/gold deposits in the area. Among the dead are not just soldiers, but women and children. No note of where the Indian tribes' dead are buried. In any case this cemetery is never mentioned (as far as I have found) on any of the local history tours nor in the vast majority of sources on local history. But an historical schoolhouse less than 3 miles away is much talked about, though it is interchangeable with any old schoolhouse (it just happens to be better preserved and still standing)...
    I'm wandering and not sure I'm really answering your question. If nothing else disregard what I've said - I'm one of The Unlearned. :)

15. minskminx

Gold Member

Thank you for replying. If you are interested enough to know things you can never be unlearned. In fact you will know much more than me about your local history!

I see the point you were making now. You think the 'editing' of history through preservation of sites has skewed or hidden the truth of the history of the area. I think that is a very good point and it is one of the most important aspects of history to consider. This is true both in terms of studying physical artifacts and reading literary and annalistic history.

I won't bore you too much but I will say that 'mundane' things are very important in understanding history as well, perhaps more important than big events like battles and wars. :)

CaramelLady, 10_3XL and oldkid like this.
  16. oldkid

Truth has little bearing on history or importance of historical places. History is whatever the writer says it is. That includes contemporaries of the event. :(

17. CaramelLady

I hope I am not showing my ignorance here or lack of education, but I agree that the more mundane things bring so much to our understanding of history.

The slave narratives, simple accounts of former slaves. Letters written by ordinary people. Archaeological finds of tools and utensils used, etc. All of these and more mundane items have given us glimpses of the past that are more telling than battles and wars.

Many major events in history are precipitated by the acts of ordinary individuals that did extraordinary things.

10_3XL likes this.
  18. GreyGoose

Gold Member

The wife and I really want to go see the Biltmore it's not too far from us

19. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

I read an article a couple weeks ago about saving the tower and something else from the 1964 NY Worlds Fair. They are in bad shape. I feel that they should be restored but not as cost to taxpayers. The tower was used in films like Men in Black. I attended the Worlds Fair but I was only 4 years old. I would like to go back and see it some day. KNOCK IT OFF!!!!! Stop trying to do the Math. LOL
    `

20. backcheck64

Gold Member

There are a number of buildings and the bird cage from the 1904 Worlds Fair in St Louis that are still in use, 64 wasn't that long ago and shouldn't be in THAT bad of shape.