Hey wd fans!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dog_E_Ryder, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

Well what did you think of the new Walking Dead spin off ? Even though it started a little slow, I think it will be decent.

2. Nixie

Gold Member

Awww dammit, I can't view the video you posted in "my country", but I shall definitely google it to find a version of it over here! :)

Personally, I'm just waiting for the next series of TWD to start (it's been a looooong summer of waiting for it, haha). But yeah, I'll definitley check out the spin-off series just to see if it's any good. :D xx

Doitagain and Dog_E_Ryder like this.
  3. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

Yeah the new season of WD does look good. FWD looks like it has potential as well, it focuses on the beginning of the apocalypse at a whole different location in LA. I think I'm going to like the spin. :)

4. Nixie

Gold Member

Ah right, so it's like a reboot without being a reboot - gotcha. As far as I know they never really covered that in any graphic novels though... or is there something I've been missing? :)

Dog_E_Ryder likes this.
  5. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

Yeah it's a totally different story, I never read the comic books, but the way I took it this is a total different story created. On a interesting note I was surprised the original story was actually was to be story lined here in my state of KY. I hadn't realized the creator was from here. Then the actual show was pushed to Atlanta suburbs. Other big name zombie and horror films originated here as well in Ky, we are not just not the horse and bourbon and basketball state any longer. :D:p.

6. BlueCollar

Gold Member

I liked it. I'm a WD junkie myself, so I was all in to begin with. I figure if it sucks, which it doesn't look like it's going to, it will get us through to the new season of the original WD.
    I like the pre zombie apocalypse story. We all know what not to do from watching TWD, but the people on the show obviously have no clue, so I think it will be a lot of fun to watch once it gets going.

Dog_E_Ryder likes this.
  7. Nixie

Gold Member

I think Rick was originally from Kentucky, but the story quickly moved to Atlanta - I'll need to bring out my graphic novel compendiums to check up on that...

Right, I've just found a trailer for FWD, and here's my opinion so far (just based on the trailer)...

The new series brings it right back to time of the original outbreak. Now I'm fine with that, but as a massive George A. Romero fan, I think that territory's already been covered. What I love about TWD is that it's not all about the zombies - it's about how humans act in a post-zombie-apocalypse world. Because that's a far scarier thing to think about.

Not that I don't love zombies - they're awesome! But TWD went a lot deeper into what things would be like after the original outbreak subsided, and that's what I love it.

However, I do feel the need to watch FWD, at least for the first few episodes, in case it's any good. Because... well... zombies. :)

Dog_E_Ryder and BlueCollar like this.
  8. BlueCollar

Gold Member

9. BlueCollar

Gold Member

This girl gets it. :) good post Nix.

Nixie likes this.
  10. scurlock1971

Gold Member

It was really slow. I'll stick with it cause I'm a fan and think it will come together soon. It will be fun see how they all manage "in the beginning" ...

Nixie likes this.
  11. Nixie

Gold Member

Sooooo true. Daryl wasn't even in the graphic novels, but it was a stroke of genius for the writers to add his character to the television series. Women want him, and men want to be him, haha! ;)

12. scurlock1971

Gold Member

13. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

Huge Romero fan myself. :) I think the this will give Kirkman a chance to update the political message of the self destruction of society brings up on itself.
    The WWZ book done a excellent job of that, but despite the millions spent on the movie they blew it and the show had absolutely no resemblance of the book. Shame when the book was a perfect screenplay, how they managed to fuck that up was beyond me. The movie was OK, but it wasn't WWZ in no form.

Nixie likes this.
  14. Nixie

Gold Member

Dawn of the Dead is hands down the best (and funniest) zombie film ever made. The nurse zombie and hare krishna zombie were awesome enough, but the zombie holding a shotgun to his own head for the whole movie just made it! :)

As for WWZ, it's a shame they blew the budget - I'm guessing a lot of it went into Brad Pitt's pockets and an over reliance on CGI (don't even get me started on CGI). They even saved cash by filming a lot of it here in Scotland (Glasgow), but it seems too many people want over-the-top CGI rubbish these days. Meh...

Dog_E_Ryder likes this.
  15. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

I agree a 100% CGI in a zombie movie is uncalled for. Plus I love the slow creeping Romero zombies much creepier, which the book was using. The CGI and running zombies ruined the movie. THe biker taking his blood pressure in the mall as the zombies tear him from limb is my alltime favorite scene. :D

Nixie likes this.
  16. Nixie

Gold Member

Hahaha, that was hilarious! :)

I didn't mind the running zombies in the 28 Days/Weeks films - I actually really liked them. But CGI running zombies? Pass. :p

17. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

Oh I liked 28 days as well, but prefer the walkers. Lets face it if those bastards could run, civilization would only last a couple days. We would all be fucked. :D lol

Nixie likes this.
  18. Nixie

Gold Member

But you have to admit, Robert Carlyle leaving his missus to be eaten by zombies was pretty hard core, haha. The scene where he ran from his house towards the boat has never left my mind - still creeps me out to this day! And any film that does that is good in my books! :)

BlueCollar and Dog_E_Ryder like this.
  19. Nixie

Gold Member

Thanks m'dear. ;) xx

BlueCollar likes this.
  20. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

Another great Romero moment in Diaryof the Dead. :D