Herpes w/ Oral Sex

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Danielmiret, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Danielmiret

Danielmiret New Member

Hi I'm an 18 year old gay male. I have a boyfriend and recently we've been wanting to have oral sex but I've been afraid to. Not to long ago I had a cold sore. It went away but I'm not sure if it could still be spread by having oral sex? Should we not have oral sex at all just to be safe?

2. pawg69lover

pawg69lover New Member

You're fine. The strain of Herpes that causes cold sores is not the same as the strain that is spread sexually. They are two different strains of the Herpes virus so you should be ok.

3. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Correct there are two different viruses ie Herpes simplex and Herpes zoster however from previous oral sex it is possible to get the STI one in the mouth.
    Therefore the safety of performing oral sex really depends on your past experiences.

4. Danielmiret

Danielmiret New Member

Then how come everywhere I look online it says I can give him genital herpes even if their isn't an actual cold sore exposed right now?

5. Xdragon

Xdragon New Member

If you still have the lesion on your lips and still open reframe from oral sex...sharing eating utensil, cups, kissing anyone. Wash your hands frequently. But if its gone and went away you should be fine. Cold sore or genital their both virus but a cold sore just doesn't involve the genital...if worry use a condom over your partner. But how fun is that :(

6. AGFUNK

Gold Member

You can still spread the virus whether or not you have a sore. I have oral herpes and I take acyclovir for it. Acyclovir can help stop reoccurences of outbreaks but does not cure the disease. My husband and I usually use flavored condoms when I have an outbreak or think I'm getting one to avoid spreading it to his penis. You should get to a doctor to be tested for herpes so that you can take the pills for it. You can also eat a healthier diet consisting of a lot of zinc and lysine.

7. cbrmale

Gold Member

I wish people didn't offer advice about things they don't know about. My wife also has periodic cold sores and eventually she passed that virus to my genitals. I had one outbreak and that was it. Apparently the oral cold sore virus HSV-1 doesn't work so well on the genitals, and the genital cold sore virus HSV-2 doesn't work so well on the lips. So while either strain can get passed from oral sex (cold sore to penis, genital herpes to lips) regardless of if lesions are showing or not, the outcome is relatively benign. Typically one outbreak and that's it.

About 80% of adults carry the HSV-1 virus, and if they do they cannot be re-infected on the genitals. So this would only apply to the 20% of adults who don't have any HSV-1 in their system (as I was until relatively recently).

Experiencing an outbreak transmitted from my wife after decades of marriage was no big deal, but it's not quite so simple with boyfriend-boyfriend.