Herpes Topic

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by lonelymind, Oct 17, 2007.

1. lonelymind

lonelymind New Member

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend for the first time on Friday night, That was our first time ever having sex. I was baiscally a virgin I considered myself a virgin i was raped about 2 and a half years ago anyways I had to go see the doctor because i was in so much pain down there. The nurse practissioner who i saw said that i had been badly ripped down there like externally and internally.

She also said something extremly concerning. That it looked as if i had herpes, however she said that i was really clean on the inside of my vagina just the outside of my vagina had some reddish bumps or whatever. I was tested right after the rape and also 3 months

after the rape however i havent been tested since. and also he was test like 3 or 4 months ago and nothing came up and he also gives blood every now and then and he says that you cant give blood if you have an std. I also shaved down there. He dosent have red bumps if i did wouldnt i have it on my mouth as well as him? also she said that i had to get tested. but the results dont come back until tuesday and am seriously freaking out about this. he says that its probably nothing and just caused by the shaving. I sahved with

a somewhat of a bad dull razor. the nurse said that i most likely didnt have anything because i am really clean on the inside but that it
    was still good to get tested. http://herpesmates.com

#1 lonelymind, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Page won't load.

3. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

I contracted herpes about 10 years ago and have never had an episode since. (I'm one of the lucky ones!) I had a shot of some kind immediately when I discovered the symptoms, and that was supposed to help keep the virus from surfacing too often. Maybe it helped.

When you initially contract the virus you'll normally break out badly and have flu symptoms. I did. From there it can lie dormant in your system and never show up again, or it can surface fairly regularly or rarely. The strain stays in your system, so it will always show up with a blood test.

If you were tested after the rape, it should have shown either positive or negative, and the results shouldn't change unless it was negative and you contracted it since then.

It can only be passed during an outbreak, however sometimes the outbreak may not be noticed. In my case, if I'd known what to look for, and known my partner at the time had it, I could probably have avoided it. She didn't know she had it, as is the case with many. My wife and I have had unprotected sex on a regular basis for more than 8 years and she's not contracted it yet.

4. Bluesy

Gold Member

If he hasn't engaged in any sexual activities (including oral sex) since he was last tested, you should be fine. Herpes isn't like HIV, you don't have to get retested at a later date. If it would put your mind at ease, you can get retested, but I don't see any reason for concern.

5. Bluesy

Gold Member

I feel like the world's biggest party pooper...there's so much misinformation about STDs out there, and I feel like a meanie having to correct people, but this is important stuff.

"HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be found in and released from the sores that the viruses cause, but they also are released between outbreaks from skin that does not appear to be broken or to have a sore."

"Transmission can occur from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected."

The above quotes are from the CDC fact sheet on Herpes: http://www.cdc.gov/std/Herpes/STDFact-Herpes.htm

There is never a safe time to have unprotected vaginal/anal/oral sex with a partner who's been infected with the Herpes virus (this is another one that's spread via skin-to-skin contact). I have heard stories of monogamous couples having unprotected sex for many years without the uninfected partner contracting the disease, so it does happen. But it's still a game of Russian Roulette. You walk through the grocery store and come into contact with thousands of germs that won't give you any problems, but that only means you got lucky that day. Another day you may come home with a cold or flu virus, or a GI virus. There's always a risk, always.

6. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Yes, Bluesy, the "outbreak" I mention includes those times before the sores are visible and after they look healed. That's why I mentioned that, at times, the outbreak may not be noticed. I should have said "visible" instead of noticed. You're absolutely correct. Viruses are sneaky that way. Thank you for the clarification.

I'm a little surprised I've never passed this to my wife by now. We're still careful to an extent. If I get a pimple around my mouth or genitals we lay off for a week or so. Fortunately that doesn't happen much to me at my age. Even more fortunately, the pimples have so far been just that. Zits. (Similar, but different.)

My wife certainly knows the risks. The risks are also there with "protected" sex, i.e., condoms. They don't give full protection either. I have the virus living in me; I'm a risk. Herpes is nasty, but it's not the end of the world even if you have it. Probably 10 percent of the U.S. population has it and doesn't know it. The person who gave it to me didn't know she had it, and I believe I read that about half those who have it aren't aware of it.