herpes and pregnancy

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by tiffers, Jul 31, 2012.

1. tiffers

tiffers Member

Does anyone here know anyone personally who had a baby and had herpes who took antivirals during pregnancy?

If so, was the baby ok, and did they contract the virus or have birth defects?

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

3. MrFusion

MrFusion New Member

As I understand it having a baby with a genital herpes infection is generally nothing to worry about.

As long as the mother does not have an active infection / shedding during the birth, vaginal births are OK. Some doctors will err on the side of caution and order a Cesarian section delivery if the patient is diagnosed with genital herpes. Again, as I understand it, there's no danger of the baby contracting the virus from the mother during development, only during vaginal birth with active viral shedding.

Herpes to a newborn is awful - Don't Google the pictures.

4. AGFUNK

Gold Member

Actually herpes is contagious whether or not there is an outbreak. There is dangers with giving birth vaginally as the herpes can go in the baby's eyes causing blindness and also get into his/her throat.

5. Essene

Gold Member

There are multiple ways in which someone with herpes can deliver a healthy baby.

It is even possible with AIDS/HIV.

6. MrFusion

MrFusion New Member

Notice I said 'active infection / shedding' - Shedding is the stage of infection where the virus is active and contagious, but not necessarily when a lesion or a sore is present.

Herpes can infect the whole child, not just the eyes / throat. Like I said, don't Google the pictures - they're heartbreaking.

That being said, don't take medical advice from a random Internet forum, take advice from a licensed health care professional.

7. AGFUNK

Gold Member

I know what you said. I have oral herpes so I know that it's always contagious. It's less contagious when you don't have an outbreak and if the meds are taken etc.