Help with something silly

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dreama, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Dreama

Gold Member

I'm a swimmer....I started swimming about three weeks ago....I've been swimming every morning and sometimes twice a day for some extra excercize, and I've been wondering how in the world I can get my hair to stop bleaching out, and becoming very brittle. I like swimming, so I am not going to give it up...But, my hair is suffering. Is there anyone who knows anything I can do to help my poor hair? I mean, I don't want one part of me to suffer just so I can better the other parts....

2. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Well there is a head piece ( cant remember the name off hand ) that you can use that will protect your hair fully ( it wont even get wet ) some professional female swimmers wear them, it like a plastic but tightish head peice , stops the water getting in and also will 100% protect your hair , but will not hinder your swimming. :)

hope thats helpful in a way.

[​IMG]

http://www.cgacswim.org/shop.htm

They dont seem to be overly expensive either which is a good thing :)

3. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

From what your saying about bleaching Im assuming that your swimming in a chlorinated pool.....do you have access to a salt water pool?
    Much better for your hair, and skin as well...

4. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Hotwheels do that actualy have salt water swimming pools for the public ?
    I only ask because i have never heard of that type before ( and if only France had those )

5. HardRocker

Gold Member

Not salty like the ocean. It's just a process using saline to oxidize the water borne pathogens and swimmer waste instead of heavy doses of chlorine. Remember, salt is sodium chloride.

6. cook74

Gold Member

I understand what you are talking about HardRocker, but in OZ, and in some other countries as well, they do have real salt water swimming pools. You just have to visit almost every second beach in Sydney to find one.

They are great for the times that the swell is too dangerous for a wuss like me :eek: :lol

7. Dreama

Gold Member

Well, I only have access to a regular chlorinated swimming pool, because I'm a poor college student who uses the college's pool for free. And, I also considered wearing a swim cap, but I have a swim class, and my professor said that it didn't protect your hair. But, maybe she was wrong, or I have to get a special one or something. That might be pretty cool. Thanks guys. If anyone has anymore suggestions, I'm open to them. My hair is naturally a pretty chestnut brown, but now, it's turning red and blonde streaked, too mismatched to be cool....I mean, I look really spotted. I can't dye my hair, because that would damage it even more, and would also come out really quick anyway. But, I've been wetting my hair and suit down at least though, so at least my hair absorbs mostly regular water before entering the pool.

8. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

You might find also Dreama that the chlorine levels in that swimming are above usual to, if it stings your eyes its to much.

Just thought of something but not sure how good it would be, silicon swim caps...there are a range of different materials ...silicon should easily be able to keep your hair dry

ill do a check ...

http://www.swim2000.com/page.php?p=silicone-swim-caps

((but I have a swim class, and my professor said that it didn't protect your hair))
    She isnt wrong, but she is a litle out of date ( as these silicone ones are meant to keep your hair dry but at the same time offer you less drag in the water ..

9. Dreama

Gold Member

Awesome, Kronnie. I'm totally getting one when I get my paycheck. I love my hair, and I don't want it to die. I mean, I want to better myself but I hate it when you have to sacrifice one part of yourself for the others. I think hair is just as important. I know I may sound a little superficial, but still. I can't wait to get something like that. Thanks for the advice.

10. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

your welcome , glad i was able to help and find some info on it for you, and its not superficial to want to look after your hair :)

11. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

12. HardRocker

Gold Member

You old horndog.:eyes

13. Dreama

Gold Member

You'll have to ask Deckard about that. I don't really know. But, I can't say that I can fathom that it could, being all weird and such. :)