Help me I'am in hell!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DarkJewel, Mar 18, 2011.

1. DarkJewel

DarkJewel New Member

Sorry for the dramatic title,but if I don't get the eff away from my cat soon I'm gonna hurt something!!!

He is neutered,he is healthy,has all his shots,has food,has plenty of love,has a friend,I've let him outside,NOTHING FUCKING HELPS.All the meowing monster wants to do is hear the sound of his own voice 24/7!

I've tried squirt bottles,doesn't faze him.Clapping at him,yelling at him,chasing him around the dang house~he DOES NOT STOP!

He is about to find a new home or go to a shelter.Devocalizing might help,but it is "cruel" and many vets don't do it,in fact they are trying to ban it.But in some cases,it needs to be done,I'm sorry.
    This cat is going to have a hard time finding anyone who will put up with this.I can't get sleep,I can't watch tv,my husband and daughter are pulling their hair out too.
    Has anyone ever dealt with a cat like this?

2. cheeze

cheeze New Member

Strange cats usually meow when they are horny, or they just want attention.

Clapping and yelling only reinforces the behaviour i think. remember animals can't understand us they go off of energy. Im not sure how to train cats, or if its even possible, look on-line there maybe away to

3. Kermit

Gold Member

the best cure...according Dr. Kermit MD is to...get a new cat

4. DarkJewel

DarkJewel New Member

We have tried giving him attention,that doesn't help.Thanks though.
    I have a friend who works at a shelter and is going to talk to the animal behaviorist for me.If that doesn't work either,then I will just have to follow Dr. Kermit's advice!!

That may be the only choice I have left

5. Mittimer

Gold Member

Have you taken him to the vet? Gotten him checked out? Tried to figure out if there is anything internally wrong with him? While he may seem ok on the surface, if there is something painful going on inside, he could very well be trying to vocalize it.

I have 10 cats and depending on their mood, they can be quite vocal. Not to your extent though.

Before doing away with him, try figuring out what the problem is.

6. cheeze

cheeze New Member

well if you wanna get rid of him we could do a cook out :D

7. DarkJewel

DarkJewel New Member

Yes,he has been to the vet.That is why it is so frustrating,they say there is nothing wrong with him.We even tried these antidepressant pills for him (even though he does not seem depressed) and that didn't help either.

I have had cats all my life,and none have ever been like this???

8. clamUp

clamUp Active Member

You've just described the cat that' I've put up with for what seems like forever, but actually it's been about twelve years now.

When I first got him, he was the greatest cat. I had him with me for about a year. Then my dad, who lived out of state, decided he wanted to take him home with him for a few months, so I agreed.

The cat I got back was this vocal monster you've just described. I'm pretty sure my dad treated him like a grandson, giving in to him at every little whimper and moan this cat let out.

I love him to death, but man can he let out some noise! Especially at 4 am. In the time I've had him, I've found some ways to cope, but they're all temporary.

In order to get decent sleep, we keep the bedroom door closed and turn on a big fan that drowns out everything but the loudest of noises.

The water bottle idea was a failure. The cat just starts drinking the water, or looking at the squirter with puppy-dog eyes before going into another yowling fit and paying no attention to getting wet.

We gave him soft food for a long time, and that would shut him up for anywhere from an hour to several hours, but he'd always yowl for more, more and more frequently. I've finally cut him off from it completely and now just give him regular hard food. That's calmed him down some. I've found that any special food he gets just eventually leads to more and more yowling. And it is extremely loud.

I give him a handful of cat treats about three times a week. I'm very careful to try to give them to him at different times during the day so he doesn't start expecting them. So far that's worked out well.

But here's the hard part...

I know that people never recommend paddling an animal, and believe me, I went a long, long time before I could bring myself to do it. But a couple of months ago he got ridiculously bad. Talking about I'd pull into the driveway and I could hear him before I turned the car off.

I started just giving him a firm slap on the backside with a firm 'no'. It took about a week of doing it a couple of times a day, and we've had about the longest stretch of peace with him in a long time. I don't know how long it'll last, but he's back to being a normal cat again. He's finally settled down and is a lot easier to live with.

If it's a last resort, that's what I'd recommend. If it's going to work, it should only take a week or two of it. I hate to recommend it, but it's worked with my little fellow. At least for now.

9. DarkJewel

DarkJewel New Member

Thanks so much for your post! Ha,we have been turning our dryer on at night to try to drown out the sound.It helps but after a pretty high BGE bill I told my husband we need to find a different way.I may try the fan idea!

We adopted this cat,so I have no idea if he was spoiled before he came here,but he has been like this since we got him a year ago.In the past year we feel like we have tried everything and to no avail.
    I think what you say is true about the wet food.He is a PIG and even tries to eat our food all the time.He has access to dry food 24/7 (we got him an automatic feeder) but maybe I will stop giving him wet food.

My husband really wants to hurt him when he is trying to watch tv.Cuz then even if we put him outside he sits at the door meowing and we can still hear him.Our neighbors are pissed to,and since I live in an apartment,if they complain,he HAS to go cuz I'm not losing my place over this cat.

It is nice knowing I'm not the only one though.All my other cats have been pretty quiet.

10. clamUp

clamUp Active Member

If my cat is anything like yours, then I doubt you'll ever completely stop the noise. Just while I was reading your reply, my guy sat at the top of the stairs wailing, but it was much, much shorter than it used to be. It only lasted a couple of seconds and he quieted down. I can handle that.

We also stopped keeping his food available 24/7. He hates hard food unless he's hungry, so we only give him a cup or so twice a day. When we first started, he'd stand by his full food dish and wail, but for now he's resigned himself to the fact that his soft food days are over.

It kind of breaks my heart not to give him what he's wailing for. He's getting pretty old. He was at least 4 when I got him, possibly older, so at the youngest he's at least 20 now, and I suspect older than that.

I've talked to the vet, and tried many different things to get him under control, and what we've got going now seems to be having the most positive result.

For the record, my dad still denies any wrongdoing. ;)

11. nyxx

nyxx New Member

get a dog, scare him straight

12. backcheck64

Gold Member

Siberian Huskys find cats quite tasty....we had one.