Help me choose between these monitors hmmkthxguyz.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

2. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

The non Dell one.

3. Jayce

Gold Member

But Dell monitors are supposedly amazing. :( In fact I think Samsung makes them.

I used to be a Dell hater, due to the amount of issues I heard with them. But as of lately their notebooks have turned out to be pretty phenomenal, and all along I heard good things about Dell.

*shrug* I'm not sure what to go with quite yet. And since I only have 8 dollars in my checking account I'll have to wait until my tax return comes in. :yell

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I'd say that dollar for dollar you won't notice enough of a difference to make the extra expenditure for a dell monitor worth it.

5. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Well, as it happens, I am looking at SF on a Dell flat screen monitor. My last computer was a Dell also. Although I wish that I could get one of those super expensive flamin' screamers with all the bells and whistles, the Dells have been OK so far. Gets me on the 'net, lets me do the correspondence and games I wanna do. Can't complain too much I guess.

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

My buddy who builds computers says "Dell = overpriced. End of story."

I trust him.

7. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Get the Dell. My first flat panel was the Dell 20.1". I bought a new flat panel for more space a few months ago. I choose the 24" widescreen from Dell and I love it. I got it off eBay for cheaper then the price on the Dell website. Unfortunately it came with a dead pixel. Luckily it's the the corner and I barely see it.

8. Jayce

Gold Member

Yeah, I want to avoid dead pixels. Also, how do they work with LCDs? How likely is it that I can get a dead pixel down the road? Or are dead pixels just common when you open the box? I noticed one web site I went to said no returns for dead pixels, but if I got one I'd probably just bitch that it's messed up with something else and return it anyway. I mean if I'm paying a couple hundred bucks for an item, it's gonna be fuckin perfect or you're getting it back. End of story.

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

All my nerdy friends use ViewSonic LCD digital monitors and that's what I use as well. My ViewSonic has a five year guarantee against against dead pixels. Basically if it develops one within the first five years of use then ViewSonic will replace it.

It's definitely not as big as the others you mentioned but I honestly don't see the point of having such a big monitor.

10. Jayce

Gold Member

Puss, I don't see what's the point of having such a small monitor. :p

If you've ever played some high resolution games, or watched a movie on a widescreen thats 19 inch+, you'll know what I mean. Plus, being a huge computer user, having a large workspace is veeeeeeeeery nice. Especially with editing photos in picture editing programs.

11. doberman

doberman New Member

well, i have only heard bad things about dell..

but as life is, i got myself a brand-spanking-new dell inspiron 6400 laptop, as it was the best ratio between price and what i get with it. and as far as i can tell, i am very satisfied with my dell.. i think they are great, especially what the mentioned ratio is about.. but thats just me!

12. Jayce

Gold Member

From what I've heard, Dell has turned around dramatically in the last few years. They used to be utter shit. But now it seems they're getting more recommendations than HP. But Dell monitors and PDAs have always seemed to keep positive feedback... which is why I'm considering them now.

I wonder what Dell's policy is on dead pixels down the road. *shrug* Maybe that'll be the deciding factor...

13. doberman

doberman New Member

you can turn your dell in the first thirty days without even telling them why you're doing so.. at least this is in switzerland, even when you havent done the expensive deal with them..

14. heelfetish

Gold Member

As an industry professional, IMO you can't go wrong with Dell products. If you're a system builder, sure, you can build a box for less. But for the corporate environment, nothing compares to their level of service, and there is nothing better than standards across platforms with regards to driver installs, compatibility, reliability, etc.

A part fails, and we have a replacement part the next day.

We've had some bad Dell monitors (Dell M783s 17" CRT), but again, replacements are handled quickly.

I can't say that Dell LCD monitors are better than anyone else's. Viewsonic, LG, and Samsung all make great LCDs. I was just putting my 2 cents in about Dell PCs in general. :)

15. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I believe the dead pixel policy is 4 or 5.

16. Jayce

Gold Member

I thought Samsung made the Dell LCDs. *shrug*

17. Jayce

Gold Member

Fuck that. I'll just whine bitch piss and moan and say the whole damn thing is dead until I get a return. Again if I'm paying the money for a product I want it to work right. Sure it may be a little spec that's dead, but I'm a pickyassmofo.

18. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Unfortunately I went with an eBay provider, even thought it was new I couldn't call up Dell and complain. But it's not too bad. Just disappointing for the price I paid to have a dead pixel. :(

19. heelfetish

Gold Member

Dead pixels are one of the main reasons why I have a 19" CRT on my desk at work and at home. :(

20. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

We have the Dell 22" monitors where I work and they are awesome. Didn't care much for the 26" LCD TVs. Too blury for my taste. For the money I'd go with the Dell