Hello, my name is Sandwich, and I'm a (NFL team name) fan

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandwich, Oct 7, 2012.

1. sandwich

Gold Member

You know, it occurred to me today that I might need to join a 12 step program for people who are hopelessly addicted to being fans of losing teams. My team has one of the worst records this season, and I wish I could say that this has not been a pattern. They have been losing miserably for years now.

But I will carry the torch, even if I am the last fan standing, damnit. I will go to work tomorrow wearing my team's colors and not care in the least that my boss is a fan of the team that beat up on my team today. And without a word, he will know just where my fandom stands. I can take any teasing about my team that he can dish out.

I did not get to watch my game today, so I was stuck listening to it in the kitchen of a friend who was having the weekly NFL party. At least I had company. The problem is that I live a little closer to another city's team, and when my team and that team are on at the same time and network, the other team is shown. So every time this happens I have to make a decision about whether or not I am going to go to a Sports Bar by myself to watch a Direct TV broadcast or hang with friends who have another provider. For my friends' sake, I wish I could say that I never choose the Sports Bar.

So what this thread is really about is: how far do you go with your fandom? For instance, do you paint yourself in your team's colors and go shirtless in below freezing temperatures? What are the craziest things you have done in the name of supporting your team? It doesn't have to be an NFL team or even football.

2. sandwich

Gold Member

It seems that no one wants to play. I will check back. Until then, I will start by telling you one of my little fandom quirks. On Friday nights during college football season, I will only sleep in my oversized team T-shirt. It's one that is meant for sleeping. Then in the morning I run around in that and my team slippers. I do shower and change, but I refuse to wear anything else on my feet other than the slippers or my team flip flops. I can't watch the game without a team T-shirt, all my team jewelry, my team ball cap, and team logo temporary tattoos....one on each cheek. My college team is doing very well, by the way. I do the same thing starting Saturday night with my NFL team items when my team is playing on Sunday. Oh, I forgot to mention the team socks....I wear those with the team slippers when it's really cold.

3. Spurtacus

Spurtacus Member

i'm not the biggest sports fan, but that's kinda cute :p

4. backcheck64

Gold Member

What are you...a Cheifs fan?

We watch the NFL, because the fucking NHL is locked out. The one true blood sport. We had season tickets for 5 yrs..and it's a 5 hr drive round trip to games..and we'd hit 35 to 40 games a year, now the kids are playing so often we had to drop the seats. My son is named after the Blues goalie when he was born. We have wall to wall Blues items, including street banners from outside the rink. I even have a Blues fishing lure. WIfe has several jewelery items. We all have 2 or more jerseys, all have coats, jackets, shirts, hats, underwear, christmas ornimantes, glasses, seats, Blues boarder in my office...painted in Blues colors. We have everything from bricks from the old arena to nesting dolls. Oh I understand the obsession. You have any NFL lingerie...we have Blues lingerie..... Wife loves to get pucked.

5. Maverick

Maverick Member

You sound like Jag fan.

I quit after today.

6. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Been a die hard (fav NFL team name) for all my life. Todays was a fantastic game even though we lost. Its been a great season with a few hints of the Curse that I think still lingers. I love my (fav NFL team name)'s no matter what, but to see them doing good means so much more.

Im calling a Dolphins fan

7. 12barblues

Gold Member

She's obviously a Philly fan.......hence the name.." Sandwich" ....uh...." Cheesesteak " ?

8. 12barblues

Gold Member

And what the hells wrong with my broncos?

9. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

I'm not into team sports, but I do like to go to the televised WWE pro wrestling shows when they come to the area (yes I know it's fake and per-determined, but these guys and gals work year round...no off season for them) and usually make a sign with my nick name on it to see if I can get myself on TV for a few seconds or write a stupid message that family and friends would catch and know it was me.

Also when I drag race my Camaro Z/28 I have to wear an all black race suit along with my helmet with an airbrushed skull design, black driving gloves, and shoes. On the car ride to each track, I play the Deftones "Around the Fur" CD multiple times until I get there and the car is unloaded from the trailer.

10. will2of3

will2of3 New Member

Have done the standing in the freezing cold shirtless for my nfl team. But I prefer hockey. Go Sabres go. Lived about an hour away from Nashville for a few years and went to those hockey games. Felt so dirty going to another team just to get my hockey fix. But hockey is hockey.

I'm calling her a Bills fan (just like me)

11. BigB73

Verified Gold Member

Guessing Cleveland Browns, since Ohio's other team is usually doing better and probably televised more.

12. backcheck64

Gold Member

I've coached hockey in a t shirt and shorts.

13. Maverick

Maverick Member

All I know, is if Sandwish was single, guys are idiots, cuz gals that like sports like that are hard to find.

14. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Ugh. They thankfully gave up the Jebus freak but I dont think that trying to buy a Championship with a winning, yet passed his prime and injured QB, is the best way to come back into the game competitively. Sorry, I never even liked Elway :p

15. backcheck64

Gold Member

I married one, my wife watches more sports than I do. If there is a hockey game on, pro, college, you name it, it's on one or more if the TVs, if it isn't hockey, then football, baseball, lacrosse....but no tennis or golf.

16. clamUp

clamUp Active Member

I have something to say, but if I say it then anyone who knows me would read it and say, "whoa, I know that guy!"

I'll just stay under the radar and say that one day the Cubs will go all the way. I just hope I'm alive to see it.

17. will2of3

will2of3 New Member

Shorts and t shirts all day every day here. Doesn't matter the temp or weather

18. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

Actually sandwich, I applaud you for your loyalty. I have been a fan of a certain NFL team for decades. They are not either of the two "local" teams. I know how it sucks not being able to see your game. I gave up pay TV several years ago, as i don't watch it enough to justify the better part of $100 a month for the luxury of watching games at home. I used to just go to a local club and buy a couple specials to be able to see my game. But, during periods that my team wasn't doing well and even when they were, not being one of the teams with a bigger following here, I'd normally be found in one of the corners. Watching my game on one of the smaller TV's, without sound. The main TV's being tuned either to the "local" teams, or one with a bigger following. This was often the case, even in years that my team were contenders or champs. It's become worse this year, as my team once again is having a shitty year and my car died recently, leaving me with no transportation and no means to replace it.

I've taken a lot of flack for my colors this year. My team is not doing well. During football season, I often wear a hat of either my favorite NFL or college football team. My Packers hat has seen better days, so I have been wearing my LSU hat. I stopped for a beer yesterday. I got a jab from the bartender. He said, "at least you can wear your LSU at this year, without being embarrassed". I think this was a deeper dig, seeing LSU's painful loss to the Gators on Saturday. Pretty rich coming from a Bills/WV fan.

I hate rainy day fans. One of the two "local" teams has many. Aside from a string of championships a long time ago, they are more famous for "blowing it". When they have a small spurt of doing well, all the colors come out of the woodwork. When they start sucking again, the colors all but disappear.

What makes me hate "hat changers" even more, is being accused of being one. Back in 97, I was happy as a pig in shit that the Packers had gone to and won their first Superbowl in 29 years. I treated myself to a new hat to celebrate. Soon, the "bandwagon" comments started. I had a GF around that time that was a Giants fan. I remember her saying once, "They suck. I think I need to find a new team". How lame. Every team can't have a winning season all the time. Those that only support the winners, are the real losers.

xx

19. backcheck64

Gold Member

I wear shorts until the high is 15 to 20 degrees. My long jeans are about 5 or 6 yrs old, shows how often they get worn.

20. sandwich

Gold Member

No, I do not have any team lingerie, but I may buy some. I've never seen anything other than panties.

I like your "pucked" comment...pretty funny. And I can say that I am a Philadelphia Flyers fan. I lived near there for about six years or so, and hockey is far more popular there than it is where I live now. I even played field hockey back then. It is fun to go to the college hockey games hosted by my alma mater. You have to be able to handle a lot of blood on the ice to watch a college game. And speaking of Philadelphia, I noticed that this year the Phillies had the highest total and average MLB attendance. I can't speak to how seating capacity plays into this.

Your list reminds me that I too have ornaments and the like. I have more college football things than anything else....plates, glasses, license plate holder, blanket, pillows, soap dispenser, tablecloth, dog collar....those are just some. I've been thinking of painting the half bath in my team's colors.

I have sat in puddles in the aisles when friends came to my section and crowded in. You would never see me leave early no matter how far ahead we were or how badly we were losing. I've done pouring cold rain, blizzard-like snow, burning sun, high wind, you name it. If I can't find someone to go with me, I will go to a game by myself. There are always fun people to talk to.