*head spins*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mittimer, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Mittimer

Gold Member

So last night I got my first real rush of parental instinct kicking in.

My 17 year old niece (biggest pain in the ass out there) was doing some thing that could have very well could have ended her in a ditch somewhere.

Her Mother called me (in a panic because said daughter has blocked her from all contact, they aren't in the state and don't know whats going on)

I finally get a hold of the niece to find out that she's far from the brightest crayon in the box.

Guess who drove 3 hours to put her ass in the back of a car and bring her back with me? Yep, this girl.

I am now the lucky guardian of a 17 year old girl. Fun right? I honestly think I scared the living hell out of her last night, I know I scared myself. I've honestly never been so worried in my life. Without a second though I did what I knew I had to do.

Now, I love children, can't wait to have some of my own, but 17 years old? Lol, It's going to be a trip taking care of her until her parents can get her.

I may be asking for some advice for the next couple days because taking care of a teenager is different then taking care of a child.

>_<

2. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

hell yeah...I hear ya'....
    15 years ago I took my ex to court for custody of my then 12 year old daughter (and won) because I could see her getting into trouble....
    The next 10 years or so was one of the most challenging times of my life...:ugh
    There was a plus side though....this year...I got to see what her mother called "a dead end kid" graduate from university:D

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

Wow, jumping straight past infant, toddler, adolescent right into late teen care is a hell of a leap. Good luck.

4. luvbug

Gold Member

Im a lucky parent. My daughter is 16....does excellent in school and has never given us any problems. I thank God for that!!

Good Luck MItt.....sounds like you are gonna need it.

5. awakened

awakened New Member

My boys are 14,16, so if I can help in any way, let me know !!! My kids are very open and will tell me anything, so i can always ask them questions for you too !!!

6. sinner

sinner New Member

I have a 13 and 15 year old boys. I hear girls are harder. We are blessed. 15 y/o is ranked 1s of 420 in one of toughest private high schools in our region. The younger guy will start there next year. It is nerve racking that our 15 y/o is starting to go out at night with friends who drive but at least his friends are all swimmers like him. As he says to me dad we can't drink we have a 7 am work out tomorrow. I still worry. My advice is to find positive after school activities. Whether it is sports theatre dance music whatever find a passion for her. It will help her to make friends and when there is something to focus on they are less interested in getting into trouble

7. Mittimer

Gold Member

She wont be going back to school until Monday because we live 3 hours from there, but she's going to get a lot of things said and done that she needs.

I think she really just needs someone a bit closer to her age to talk to. All of the adults in her life are very..hostile.