HD TV and all that stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thorn, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Thorn

Gold Member

I know nothing about high def TVs. What should I look for when I go shopping for one? ??? :shrug

2. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

You have to make sure that you have HD programming, or else it will stretch out the screen. LCDs are better than plasma because they last longer. I like my Polaroid tv, it's never given me any trouble. You want to make sure that the back has both a component and HDMI connection, you are going to want both.

3. heelfetish

Gold Member

IMO, until High Def programming is more common and the High-Def DVD format war is over, stick with regular TV. Non-HD video sources look terrible on large high-def TVs, and switching picture formats manually so the TV doesn't stretch the image to fit is a PITA.

Once High-Def programming is the norm, TV prices will drop considerably.

Unless you need a new TV now, I'd hold out for another year or 2. Plasma has longevity issues, and LCD doesn't have the contrast of plasma. And although both have improved, neither LCD or Plasma has the fluid movement of CRT yet, at least IMO.

If you do get one, Ninja had good advice about he connections, you will want as many inputs as possible, with as many connection options as possible.

4. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Another wife.....

5. heelfetish

Gold Member

*grabs the popcorn and a front-row seat*

6. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

We have two HD TVs, one a 32-inch CRT and the other a 42-inch LCD. The CRT takes up more room but has the better picture (mainly brighter) and is cheaper. The LCD is nice, however, because of its slim design. I have it mounted on a swivel, up high enough that when the little ones stand in front of it they don't block the picture.

I looked at plasmas and and LCDs and went with the LCD because of its non-reflective nature. Plasma pictures are great and probably the best way to go if you want a really BIG screen, but consider where you'll be placing it, because reflections (windows, lights, etc.) are a major concern with them.

We purchased our 32-inch a couple years ago (bedroom TV) when the old one bit the dust, then the 42-inch a year ago when the family room TV started acting up. My TVs usually last for a decade, so I figured HD was the way to go. I don't regret either purchase, but I wish both were bigger. (My eyes, yanno?)

Both have settings for full screen or broadcast format, and since the majority of what we watch is not broadcast in HD and I don't like the s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d look, we seldom use the full screen. Keep that in mind when choosing the size. Our 42-inch is more like a 30-inch with most programming; the 32-inch is more like a 24-inch with most shows.

7. Thorn

Gold Member

Hot Damn! I'm on a shopping trip now. :dgrin ;)

8. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I just don't get it... we have a perfectly fine 50" big screen...

It is multi-directional for viewing.... Sure - the pixels are less clear, but it's fine for us. We hardly watch TV anyway.

Is this some sort of 'testosterone' surge? :shrug

9. Thorn

Gold Member

I'm going to take your advise heely and wait a while. My dad told me that conventional TVs will be obsolete in about two years and won't even work. I don't know where he got that info from. Any way I'm waiting to see what's coming down the pike for now.

I guess that means I'm stuck with me old TV and wife for the mean time. :eyes

10. heelfetish

Gold Member

Your Dad is misinformed. In a few years (The date keeps changing) all broadcasts will be in HD format. Does that mean your standard TV won't work? No. There will be converter boxes available, and there is talk of the government covering some of the costs of this box. So the $20 converter will likely cost $10 to the consumer. This will allow your regular TV to receive the HD signals. Think of the old cable converter boxes to 'upconvert' old TV tuners that only had 13 channels. :)

Many big-box salesmen are using this half truth to try to sell new HD TVs to unsuspecting consumers. My in-laws were no exception, they were almost bullied into buying a $2500 LCD TV last year when they took their old 24" floor model in for repairs. Luckily they came home to discuss it with me first.

Hey, I just found a great FAQ on this at the FCC's website: http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html

11. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

The bf and I have 2 LCD TVs... a 21 and a 42.

LCDs have gotten signifcantly less expensive. And are really nice for space saving.

Any regular TV connected to cable will still work just fine. If your tv still gets signal from analog airwaves you will need a converter.

here is another great resource http://www.dtvtransition.org/

12. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Here in Sweden analog service has been almost entirely phased out. The region where I live is now all digital. Probably within a year the country will have completely phased out analog service and will then use the existing analog infrastructure to broadcast even more digital channels.