Has Anyone Got Pregnant On the Depo Shot?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Just Curious, Dec 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Curious

Just Curious New Member

Hi everyone, just joined the forum and thought i'd ask my first question. I have been with my current girlfriend for about 2 years now and have been very sexually active with her since we first met. She has been on the depo shot for about 3 years before we got together. I'm just kind of curious about the effectiveness of the depo shot. Has anyone ever got pregnant while on it? Missing an appointment for the shot and getting pregnant does not count. I'm talking with regular visits every 3 months. We have never used protection other than that and she gets tested for SDS's and such every so often. Just wondering, thanks.

2. Mongolguy

Mongolguy New Member

Depo provera is about the most effective birth contol method there is.(other than celibacy, yuck! who wants that?) If done right the effectiveness is 99.7%. That' more effective than the pill, condoms or a diaphram. One of the other benifits of using depo is that after a year or so her periods may stop alltogether. So I would say you're pretty safe. But I'm not a professional so if she does get knocked up you can't name it after me. :p

3. Just Curious

Just Curious New Member

:p Don't worry, I won't blame you. Thanks for your input. This is my first girlfriend on Depo so i'm just kinda curious about it, she has told me it's very effective and gave me the whole speech because i was afraid she was going to get pregnant when we first started becoming sexually active. The first time we were doing it i was about to blow and thought about stopping short and asking her if she was SURE it was ok, and if she had got her shot on time the last month. :eyes She may become pregnant, and if it happens it happens, but i'm just curious if anyone out there has become pregnant while using it. Anyone else got an experience to share? :eyes

4. Shellen77

Shellen77 New Member

Honestly & personally, I'm not sure how effective it is. I've never heard of anyone getting pregnant while on the shot. Have you searched online about it? I'm sure there's something on the net about it.

Good luck & if ever in doubt, use extra protection!

5. Just Curious

Just Curious New Member

I have searched online about the topic, but only found stories about the so called, "horrible" side effects. Not really anything about getting pregnant while on it. I'll keep lookin. Thanks for the info tho. Anyone else want to share? :)

6. ViviWannabe

ViviWannabe New Member

I have been on DEPO for over a year now, and other than abstinence, it is THE most effective form of temporary birth control on the market. My (monogamous) boyfriend and I don't use anything else because the only other thing I could use is condoms and I'm allergic to latex, but for the year I've been on it I've had two partners (I was on it before I broke up with my ex) and neither have gotten me pregnant. I have not heard of a single case where a woman has gotten pregnant of DEPO, and I think that .3% chance is just a margin of error, not any actual cases. They can't say it's 100% effective because there will eventually be at least one case, there always is, but so far, there have been none that I've heard of.

7. Just Curious

Just Curious New Member

ViviWannabe, thanks for sharing. I'm very happy with my current girlfriend and absolutely love making love with her. Being so young, we do it practically every day. I'm just curious about the whole depo thing and don't want to get her pregnant. I want to wait about a week or so before we do it again because it's soooo much better that way, but i'm afraid that waiting like that will cause my sperm count to increase and have a chance of getting her pregnant, hence i was curious to the effectiveness of Depo. But so far so good, i love to do it with her, i hope that as i get older the urge doesn't decrease. Thanks for the replies everyone, anybody else got some info?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.