Hardest Class in School

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Essene, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Essene

Gold Member

When I write "chool" I mean from kintergarden, if you can remember that far back, to post-graduate (Ph.D level).

For me, it was during my sophomore year. I took Microeconomics because I thought I wanted to be a businessman. Where I worked payed for degrees so long as they were, some how, relative to what they did there. So it was engineering or business. I took, what I considered to be, the easy way out.

Half way through the course, I dropped it. It would have been a 'W'. But my friend, also a business administration major, coaxed me into getting back into the class. He talked to the prof for me and got me back in. Sweet. Not so. I wound up dropping the class again as it wasn't my strongest subject at all. I received a 'WF'. That allots a 0.0 which will be factored into your gpa. I only had two other B's, one was because I forgot to do a final, and the other was in Modern Dance. It didn't really hurt my gpa, but it did make it less than what I wanted.

In high school- my worse subject was pre-calculus and geometry. Geometry because, though I tried, it didn't make much sense to me (though I passed with a 79.5 B-). Pre-calc was because it incorporated facets of geometry as well as algebra into the class and I just didn't feel like doing it.

2. Moon

Moon New Member

Latin.....I struggled enough with English, Latin just added insult to misery lol...To counter this, my favourite class was Classical Studdies, I loved the mix of history and fantasy.

3. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Putting blocks into holes; square block... y u no fit in circle hole? :p

Actually, I'd say my hardest course was quantum physics. The calculus was nested so many levels deep it would take 20 pages of math to solve one equation.

4. Mittimer

Gold Member

Anatomy and Physiology. I had in it my head when I was younger that I wanted to be a Nurse and my High School offered classes that geared towards what you were going to study in college.

A&P was terrible for me as remembering the name to every last tube/vein in the brain was IMPOSSIBLE for me. (I had terrible memory)

However, my favorite class was AP-Art History. It made me envious of my Teacher (Dr Irene Earls) who has been everywhere in the world studying and teaching about the art and architecture that she's came across. God that was an amazing class.

5. CosmicEye

Gold Member

A class in Quantum physics? It sounds interesting to me and I feel like I want to know that stuff but I know its ganna be extra hard math. Thats the thing I am scared of in math, are the longest equations ever where 1 mistake fucks it all up.

In MS and HS I was the worst at History and Civics. I hate government and learning laws and how that stuff works. It just does nothing for me at all.

Now in college, I think Calc is hard. The thing that gets me most is the geometry and the definition and purpose for terms like arcsine/ arcosine. I just dont really understand it. Like how does cos + sin^2= csc (whatever).

Physics was also a challenge although I like it and I want to learn more of how matter and light works. I am very scientific minded but I just wish I put more effort into it sometimes.

For some reason I really liked Chemestry. I had a reeeeeeaaaaaaallly sexy ass teacher that I wanted so bad. Like, huge crush and I pictured her naked every time. She was the hottest teacher I have ever had.

6. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

If you know how to do multivariable calculus, then you can handle quantum physics. I recommend taking general relativity first though.

7. MILF_Rider

MILF_Rider Member

I never much cared for history in junior high school, so I'd say that was the hardest until I got to differential equations. Meaning Calc 1-4 were no problem.

Worth noting was my Calc I teacher. He had two traits that most people wouldn't want to have in combination: he always used his fingers for erasing the chalkboard and he touched his forehead a lot. Yep, chalk on his face all the time. But he was very good at teaching the subject.

8. ply

ply
    Gold Member

French and Spanish. I seem to have a mental block when it comes to languages

9. Alwayslearningsex

Gold Member

For me I was lucky to do well overall in school.
    However phys ed was not a strength of mine, and later some career courses were tough on the brain as part of training and learning for my job.

10. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

In High School I struggled with Art History. Only because my teacher was one of those teachers that put something up on the OHP and said copy this all down I will be back in half an hour.

My favourites however were.. Calculus, Statistics, Chemistry and Biology.

English was up to par but only excelled in certain areas of the subject.

11. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Oh yes and Phys-Ed was one of the BEST :)

12. CosmicEye

Gold Member

My favorite subject was lunch.

Ive had some great math teachers. Really Really smart with good reps in their careers. I also forgot about languages. I failed Spanish 2 hard, but my teacher was a fatty pos that would sit there and talk in spanish like we could understand fully. I was in the first period and he would come in with a Double Big Gulp of Diet Coke and a 6pack of diet coke... everyday

13. HardRocker

Gold Member

Multivariable Calculus requires a prof with an exceptional talent for explaining his methods. No two do it quite the same way. It's best if he/she is a physicist or chemist who works with real problems rather than a mathematician who works only in the vague ether they live in. Mathematicians make the worst math teachers.

14. HardRocker

Gold Member

Yeah, that's usually trig in pre calc. I hate trig. It's not like other science classes at all with all the functions you just have to know without necessarily understanding.

15. Trond

Gold Member

Gymnastics (Physical Education) in particularly in junior high but also high school. I hated it with a passion. I was never in really terrible shape, and my grade wasn't too bad (not great either), but I just couldn't keep up with the kids who developed quickly. I think hit puberty at about the normal time, but whereas most others had a growth spurt and changed rapidly(I remember one friend who changed dramatically over the summer), my puberty proceeded at its own sloooow pace. Sort of weird. Now I am taller than most, and pretty well-developed in most areas :p, but I still look a bit baby-ish.

I liked biology (I have a PhD now), physics, mathematics, history and art.

16. CosmicEye

Gold Member

^ We are the same person lol

I remember leaving a friend in 7th that was short, babyfaced, and had a high pitched voice. Came back in 8th grade to see him fairly tall, some hair, and a very deep voice. Meanwhile I didnt hit puberty till the summer before 10th grade :(

Anyways, I think the statement about Mathmeticians being a math teacher is absolutely right. Ive had that and it SUCKED. Thats what I meant about solving completely useless and overly complicated problems. One of my teachers said that a mathmetician in a paper or something wanted to know how fast it takes for a martini to go from your lips to your stomach. I guess you had to be there but it was the joke everytime a stupid ass problem came up in a book and it made me laugh every time. That was a cool teacher

17. pbs

pbs
    Gold Member

European History before 1848 - it was like memorizing obituaries :down

18. cbrmale

Gold Member

They typically teach languages the wrong way, by teaching all the grammatical rules so you learn to conjugate verbs and such like. I learned French through listening and repeating, building phrase upon phrase, and in the process I learned all the tenses and the other conjugations because it's seared into your brain. The only weakness with this method is you cannot translate to save yourself. I have an English part of my brain and a French part, and never the twain shall meet.

If you do want to go down the path of languages again, see if you can find a place where they teach languages the way I learned it. French isn't that hard, especially as there are a lot of French words in modern English so you know half the language before you start. Also, it is truly the language of love. Je t'adore cheriƩ, J'aime beaucoup faire l'amour avec toi maintenant! - if that doesn't get you great sex, then nothing will!

My hardest class was my commerce degree and business finance, which is a dreadful subject. I knew it was hard so I put in extra effort, and passed no problems.

19. backcheck64

Gold Member

Hated algebra, smoked through geometery, calculus, trig, but hated algebra.

My kids hate Phys Ed. It's a waste of time. They both play on travel hockey teams and lacrosse teams, ski, play golf, snowboard, my daughter runs track for the school, why piss away class time on running around a track or playing dodge ball...maybe if they used wrenches.. You should be able to opt out if you play organized sports and concentrate on academics.

20. CosmicEye

Gold Member

I hear you but all the fattys need excersice too. I thouht Music class was a waste of time. My teacher had the same wig for all the years I was there.