Happy Valentine's Day!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HerHubby, Feb 14, 2007.

1. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Valentine 14 February

Around this time of year, many persons ask:

"Who was St. Valentine, and what does he have to do with ending romantic cards and messages?"

St. Valentine is a martyr from before 312, commemorated on the 14th of February. Probably he was martyred on that date, but nothing else is known of him. (A Valentine, priest of Rome, and a Valentine, bishop of Ternia (Interamna), are both commemorated on 14 February, and now generally assumed to be the same person.)

In many parts of Europe, it was once said that birds began to pair off for the nesting season in mid-February. Since our forebears often spoke of a given day by naming a saint connected with it rather than by giving the month and the number of the day, we find them saying that birds choose their mates on St. Valentine's day. That is all. If a major earthquake took place on Columbus Day, it would probably be known to future generations as the Columbus Day earthquake, but it would be a mistake to try to connect it with Columbus.

There are several stories making the rounds that try to explain the connection between valentines and Valentine. Every one that I have heard sounds like an explanation made up after the fact, probably by a Victorian clergyman lecturing to children. There are other explanations attempting to connect it with various pagan festivals of the early spring. Again, I am not impressed. That young men should send romantic messages in the springtime both in 90 BCE and in 1990 AD does not require a conspiracy theory to explain it.

Afterthought: The chief authority for the statement that 14 February is the date when birds were thought to pair off is Chaucer, who writes of "Valentine's day, when every fowl doth choose his mate." However, it has been pointed out that in addition to the two obscure Valentines commemorated on 14 February, there is a still more obscure one associated with 2 May, and that Chaucer may have had this date in mind. Two arguments for supposing that he did: (1) May seems more likely than February for birds to start building nests--but I am no expert on birds of England; (2) King Richard II was formally betrothed to Anne of Bohemia on 3 May, and Chaucer may have intended a reference to the royal couple. He was a member of the Royal Court, and was often invited to recite his own poems before the King and Queen and others, and his poems contain at least one other indirect reference to the Royal Marriage. If we accept this theory, then we must suppose that, after all memory of the May Valentine had died out in England, Chaucer's statement was misunderstood as referring to the earlier date.

written by James Kiefer

Prayer

Almighty and everlasting God, who kindled the flame of your Love in the heart of your holy martyr Valentine: Grant to us, your humble servants, a like faith and power of love, that we who rejoice in his triumph may profit by his example; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

2. Thorn

Gold Member

Happy Valentine's Day to my wife Rose! And to all the sexey folks of SexualForums. :sf

3. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

To my Valentine, thorn:
    [​IMG]

And to all the wild, crazy :sf members, may you have the very best "Love" day today. Take a walk on the wild side.... Do something a bit over the edge...... Enjoy ecstatic, erotic, sensual moments today - and every day!

:rose

4. Shy Girl

Shy Girl New Member

Awww what a sweet thread [​IMG]

My body decided to give me his own personal "gift" early this morning, my period! [​IMG] OF ALL DAYS [​IMG]

V Day and my anniversary, thanks body. You suck. [​IMG]

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Eller glad alla hjÀrtans dag (all hearts day) in Swedish.

Krof gave a nice bouquet and a card and treats from the bakery. I gave him a card and a gift: a Homer Simpson beer mug, which he loved. And we've got a bottle of champagne chilling away in the fridge. All in all it was an excellent Valentine's Day.

That's a bummer Shy Girl, but I wouldn't let something like stop me. Just lie an old towel on the bed and go for it!

6. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Hapt valantines to all the single females :)

Hope your Shining Knight/Shield Maiden
    comes along for you all.

7. heelfetish

Gold Member

Happy Valentine's Day!

I was surprised with some carnations, a card, and some Hershey's Kisses from my wife. I got her a card, some chocolate body paints (something she always wanted to try), a Naughty Weekender kit (mask, scented massage oils, candles, etc), arranged for a babysitter for the evening, and made reservations at a nice restaurant in town. :)

8. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Krof and I are waiting until the weekend before going to dinner. We're planning on trying this new place in town. Sounds like you have a really fun weekend planned!

9. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Congrats hope you to have a real blast tonight then :)

Just because its Valantines day....a cute cuddly toy for all the members of the sexualforums....or at least for all the females members hehe..

[​IMG]

Hope each any every member here be thay male or female has a great time today ( an every day )
    A lot of us have been through hard times in the past and some are still going through them, for those i wish that the troubles fade away and your lives become blesssed with an over powering happiness.

#9 Kronnie, Feb 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  10. doberman

doberman New Member

happy valentines day to all the couples out there!

for the singles, i shout what was left on whisky from yesterday, which is maybe a quarter of the bottle.. i am having a bad hangover!

11. Rose

Gold Member

We're grilling Salmon steaks, sitting by the fire, and I plan on sporting that little outfit i was going to surprise him with this past weekend, :brow

Perhaps some wine..... candles..... music........hot tub.... who knows? :)

12. Dreama

Gold Member

Merry valentines day, everyone. I can't wait for tonight with my lover!

13. Shy Girl

Shy Girl New Member

I normally don't let it bother me, but it IS somewhat an un-sexy feeling, lol.

14. HardRocker

Gold Member

Happy Valentines Day
    May you all have candle lit dinners and raucous sex!
    Or raucous dinners and candle lit sex!

15. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Happy day of love everyone......
    [​IMG]

16. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

*growls*

Have a good day all you non-single people. I hope the day is good and the sex is awesome.

To those of us with no one: Start drinking, I know I'll regret my hangover tomorrow ...

*disappears from this thread*

17. Jayce

Gold Member

I fully concur with the factual statement that A1 expressed above.

18. Rose

Gold Member

...well?... Wait a minute!

As i see it, A-1 is available.....
    Jayce is free....
    :brow

[banana]WHATCHA' THINK GUYS?[/banana]

Least you could do is get smashed together! :)

19. Jayce

Gold Member

Rose, we are no longer talking.

20. pirouette

Gold Member

Wait! I think Rose could be on to something here!
    And even though I have a sweetheart, don't think we really give a shit that it's Valentine's day. We're going to get drunk too. :)