Happy labour day :)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, May 1, 2012.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Anyone doing anything fun? I'm actually at work, since it's not an american holiday, but I know most unions have called a strike anyway to protest the class warfare that's currently being waged against workers.

I find it very strange, but not surprising that the world's labour day marks the anniversary of the national guard massacre of peaceful protesters called "The Bay View Massacre", but Americans don't celebrate it.

I'm glad the police have only shot a handful of peaceful protesters this time around, and so far I don't think they've killed anyone (I think the closest they came was the marine they shot in the head, he has minor brain damage now, but he's alive.) :)

#1 ninja08hippie, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. HardRocker

Gold Member

I'm building a model airplane. 27" wingspan control line stunter. I set a balsa wing rib on fire trying to heat shrink a leadout cable this morning.:eyes Had to cut out a new rib and replace it.
    A labour of love!:D
    Here's what it will look like:

[​IMG]

Here's where I am on it now:
    [​IMG]

3. thunderseed

Gold Member

I'm going to finish building my pond and practice first aid scenarios on my folks :D I have to go and get some double sided tape and pond sealer to attach pond liner together though. It only took me 6 hours to dig a giant pond in my yard, can't wait to fill it up. I have a huge MFR first aid exam coming up and i really hope I don't kill 50 imaginary patients this time (terrible exam phobia)

4. BigTitLover

Gold Member

Here in the states Labor day is September 3 this year, typically the first Monday in September. Federal holiday, banks closed, people off work (well most people, depends on the job).

Memorial day is the last Monday in May.

Always thought that Labor day was holiday for what the first Labor Unions accomplished...

HardRocker, nice plane. I'm currently nursing a helli back to working order and rebuilding my rock crawler.

#4 BigTitLover, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I'm aware that we have A labour day in September, this was INTERNATIONAL labour day. And it is, after the police massacred the factory workers, the unions went on the offensive both through legal means and by hiring gangsters to protect the workers from the cops. They did eventually get fair working conditions and wages.

6. BigTitLover

Gold Member

Thought that was called "May Day" or "International workers day"..

From I can readup on, reason the states don't have May 1st as a holiday as it had already been assigned several things already. People have tried since the 20's to change it.