Happy Geoffrey Chaucer Day! (Oct.25)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HerHubby, Oct 25, 2006.

1. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

On Oct. 25, 1400, the great English Poet Geoffrey Chaucer died. In one of his great works, Troilus and Criseyde, Chaucer said, "Oh, all you fresh young people, he or she, in whom love grows and ripens year by year, come home, come home from worldly vanity! Cast the heart's countenance in love and fear upwards to God, Who in his image here has made you; think this world is but a fair passing as flower-scent in air. And give your love to Him Who, for pure love, upon a cross first died that He might pay our debt, and rose, and sits in heaven above; He will be false to no one that will lay his heart wholly on Him, I dare to say. Since He is best to love, and the most meek, what need is there a feigning love to seek?"

To borrow, as my own, a prayer written by James Kiefer, I pray:

"Blessed Lord, Who has given us the gift of sexual love, with its joys and cares and complexities and unanswered questions, and has made known to us the duty of keeping promises and showing justice and goodwill to those about us: mercifully grant that, in our human loves, and in our choices concerning them, we may be guided by Your commandments and live according to Your Will; that we and those we love [especially all these people who post on Sexual Forums] may abide in Your gracious protection, and that our loves may be fitting images of the love between Jesus Christ and His Church; the which we ask through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord, Who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever, AMEN! :)

Happy Chaucer Day!! ;) , Love, HerHubby

2. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

And our Poet Laureate comes through!

3. JuicyB

JuicyB New Member

Hi Herhubby,

Once I had a COMPLETE version of the Canterburry Tales, (including the Nun's tale often purged out) and it was written in prose, not rhym! Do you have any idea where I can FIND SUCH A COPY? I've been looking for several years now. I've spend hours scouring the net, Amazon, ebay, Barnes and Noble etc. the rhyming versions are a dime a dozen. I personally own several copies in different transaltions. The non-rhyming version I bought in Buholtz Bookstore in Bogotá Colombia of all places! Bit I lost it! And I won't be going back!