Ham radio

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by billytk1977, May 14, 2015.

1. billytk1977

Verified Gold Member

I am reading the study guide and thinking of getting my license, any one here into it? Pros or cons?

2. Candela

Verified Gold Member

I remember my father having one when I was a little girl.There is a member on here who also knows a lot about them and also has one. Ask Edwardpenisfingers..He may be able to help you xo

billytk1977 likes this.
  3. sssssss

Gold Member

A friend of mine is really big into Ham radio, he says he is always buying and upgrading his equipment. he claims he never has enough power. Other than that he loves it.

4. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

I was into it when I was a kid. Was a lot of fun. Haven't had the time or money to get back into it.

xx

5. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Much of the then advantages are gone because of the Internet ease of communication. Still a challenge for the techies but otherwise why bother?

Dog_E_Ryder likes this.
  6. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

Because it's fun and challenging.

xx

7. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

I remember my old buddies dad (an old crypto from the ASA) Having a house full of radios when you go into his house about half of them would be off frequency a tad and whole house sounded like alien voices from war of the worlds.:D The internet has all but killed this hobby with the exception of a few hardcore hobbyist,

8. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

I still have my first receiver. !t's from 1938. I brought it back from the dead in the early 70's. It's fully restored and working today. Same as the one in video below.

xx

billytk1977 likes this.
  9. billytk1977

Verified Gold Member

I enjoy a challenge and would like to learn the ins and outs. Computers are east, http code is simple enough and java easier. The old school tech is interesting and i am also on a quest to know everything and take over the world with my brain.

10. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

Brain.png

xx

billytk1977 likes this.
  11. ginger

Gold Member

.-- .... --- / -.-. .- -. / .-. . .- -.. / - .... .. ... / .--. .-. .. ...- .- - . / -- .- .. .-.. / -- .

?

12. EdwardPenisFingers

Verified Gold Member

Pro's well it's a fun hobby. Meet lots of new people. Make friends on the air. and there's always more to learn while operating. Another pro that i like is that we can build our own equipment if we like. While i haven't gotten into building radio's I have gotten into building my own antenna's. It's quite satisfying to know that something you, yourself has made is enabling you to communicate 50, 75, 100 miles or even world wide. But even more satisfying is the ability to communicate with some of the Crew of the International Space Station and also the ability to communicate via Satellita or Moon Bounce. :)

Con's... well the only con i would say is the price of equipment. While a half decent VHF or UHF or VHF?UHF radio will cost a couple of hundered bucks, the HF tranceivers can and usually cost $1,000 up to $10,000.

billytk1977 and ginger like this.
  13. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

It's a shame that this is becoming a lost art in the world of instant gratification. There usined to be effort and satisfaction in getting to hear Moscow's take on the news, or talking to someone in Australia, through the magic of carefully handcrafting antennas and tediously tuning old analog equipment. Now, kids can do all that by just switching on a computer. I miss the smell of hot tubes and the sound of a drifting BFO. Kids today would rather stand in groups texting each other, than ever experiencing the joy of building equipment, or the pride in resurrecting gear that was abandoned by another.

xx