Gun lovers!... Share here!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emt, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Emt

Emt New Member

I did a search and it seems no one has chatted about shooting or anything gun related on this forum, so here's a thread devoted to chatting about guns!

I'll go first. I've been shooting since I was in cub scouts. Now I have one or two dozen guns, shoot as much as I can, and my gf and friends do it to! I even have several females that I've turned on to the hobby!!

Feel free to ask any questions, share your experiences and pics are certainly welcome!!!:)

-Emt

2. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Since I'm considering getting my Concealed Carry license .... what would you recommend for a solid starter pistol. People tell me Glock, but I'm not a fan of the 9mm cartridge...

I was thinking of shelling out for something with some more oomph like a .45ACP H&K or maybe a .40 S&W/.45ACP in a 1911 variant.

3. Emt

Emt New Member

What a wonderful starter reply!!!!!:):)

Ok, first off, GET YOUR LICENSE ASAP!!!! Depending on your state, they can take from 2 weeks to a few months to process. Mine was 3 weeks.

Second, Glock doesn't equate to only 9mm. I have a Glock 19 (9mm) on my hip right now. But I also have a 10mm Glock (the most powerful Glock made!!!). It's also the thickest Glock so some have a hard time getting a good grip on it.

What experience do you have with hanguns?...let's start there. I'm curious what you have against the 9mm. It's not the most powerful but for personal carry you don't want the most powerful, otherwise you might end up nailing the poor bastard standing BEHIND your target.

I'm not a big fan of .45 auto's...and even less of a fan of 1911's. When I competed, 1911's jammed constantly!!!! So for a starter pistol, let's keep that caliber on the back burner for now...

-Emt

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I've just talked to alot of military guys (My dad works for the largest Night vision company in the country so I get to talk to them occasionally) and they all HATE the 9mm, not only do they hate the 9mm they hate the standard Sig sidearm they're issued. Most of the Delta/SEAL guys my dad has talked to swear by the .357, the .40SW, and the .45ACP...

I must say that I've considered the IMI Baby Eagle for a CC weapon. They're supposed to be ridiculously reliable and tough.

5. Emt

Emt New Member

Hmm, I've heard the same from military types. However, they are issued 9mm. They have no real experience in combat with anything else. They never consider that they just might...in the heat of a life and death combat situation...miss a few shots or hit in a non-vital area.

My cousins a seal and he agrees...all about shot placement.

Again, what is your experience shooting handguns?

The baby eagle isn't bad but for durability, capacity, size, weight, it's reealllyy hard to beat a Glock...if you can spend a bit more, it's hard to beat an HK. I personally like to keep things durable, reliable, and economic (but never will I buy a "cheap" gun).

-Emt

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

My experience, not much with handguns, shot a few small .22 match pistols, and a couple of 9mm and a 40S&W Ruger variant of the 1911.

EDIT: I just had to look it up ... it was a P-series Ruger in .40 S&W.

7. Emt

Emt New Member

A Ruger variant of the 1911????

Never heard of such a creature. I know Ruger makes semi-auto's but not a variant of the 1911...could you find me a pic on www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com??

The most important thing to consider when getting a pistol, aside from picking something reliable and a real workhorse that can stand up to any condition....is to go with something you are the most comfortable with.

I wouldn't go any lower than a 9mm for a primary weapon and a .32 for a back-up.

-Emt

8. Emt

Emt New Member

Ok, yes, I've shot them. They are a bit top-heavy and thick, and were to awkward for me, but again, if you like it...shoot accurately with it...and can afford 1,000rds of .40 ammo at a time to practice with...go with it!:)

But I'd give Glock and/or Sig and/or one of the other big name polymer frames a try.

-Emt

9. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I'll give it some thought, thanks man ... thought I'd run it by you.

Take care.

10. Emt

Emt New Member

Something else that might be important...you have to be 21 to buy a pistol (I'm pretty sure that's in every state). If you are lucky enough to live in a state the let's you protect yourself...you have to be 21 to get the license/permit as well.

-Emt

11. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I know, I plan on getting it after I recover from the hangover from my 21st B-day party... :lol

12. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Emt..people talk about shooting all the time on :sf, only I think it's a different kind of gun. :brow

13. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

To quote Cartman: "Oh meh God!" :lol

14. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

"You will respect meh authoriteeeeh!" ;)

15. Emt

Emt New Member

"This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun!!"

Now back to the conversation about real guns!

Any of you ladies looking at getting into the sport or maybe have some experience already?

Thanks!

-Emt

16. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

I've shot trap casually since I was about 11. But I'm blind in my left eye and it makes my depth perception absolute CRAP. so I suck... my coworkers try every summer to have me join the store trap team but I'm not a big fan of shooting in front of others lol.

I ususually shoot out at my farmstead (I recently got willed some land that belonged to our family when they first homesteaded in ND...as did my brother and my cousins, its kinda cool!!) My uncle has been trying to help me out some on my aim with handguns. So far just an old .22 revolver, maybe more as I get more comfortable with them.

I'm much more of a fan of long arms, I feel more in control of them. I started deer hunting recently and took first deer with a Ruger M77 Mark II (30.06 bolt action) ...quite invigorating :)

17. Emt

Emt New Member

I can only imagine what it must feel like to not be able to shoot due to an impairment. Without knowing your history as a shooter, I'm not sure how deeply it impacts you.

What aid have you received from an optician or maybe another information source in terms of how to compensate for the impairment? Maybe there are some tactics you can use to struggle less. Perhaps lasers or range finders??...The range finder definitly won't help n a self-defense shoot unless your target will stand still while you figure out how far away he/she is. However, with a laser (CTC Lasergrips are my personal favorite), you paint the target with the laser and pull the trigger. No lining up anything. If the lasers on the target, you're aimed propperly and can fire.

They make such grips for long arms as well. Maybe give them a try.

Thanks for the reply!:)

-Emt

18. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

For still targets I do ok, I've learned to compensate for that in the last 20 years...but its the moving targets that really get me. I could never hunt upland birds or waterfowl.

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think lasers are legal in the field here in MN. At the ranges I've used them but I'm not a big fan.

As far as an optitian goes, I have a contact, and wear glasses most of the time, but being as its something that was caught significantly too late (If it would have been caught younger it could have been corrected with exercises) my brain has just learned to compensate by not using it at all, unless my good eye is closed....and since u need binocular vision for depth perception and mine is monocular its not great.... people HATE riding in a car i'm driving for that reason too, I think vehicles are farther than they are so I pull out. OR I think they are closer than they are so I wait and Wait and WAIT...lol

We'll see how this falls range shooting and deer season go... if I get skunked out in the feild I might look for a better aid than a regular scope.

19. Emt

Emt New Member

You're right about lasers, they are traditionally illegal to use for hunting. However, I was referring to self-defense guns/carrying. In a dark parking lot at night or at the top of your stairwell during a home intrusion, a laser would definitly even the odds as far as aiming in your situation goes.

However, you might also be permitted to use a laser given the circumstances. It might be worth a try to plead your case to Fish and Game if it sounds like something you'd like to try.

-Emt

20. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

I've thought about applying for a permit to carry. I'm still under the required age though :p (3 more months)
    Its something I may consider more seriously when I move (2 years). Right now I am a small town girl and even the thought of carrying around here makes me uneasy, I'd just rather pretend its not necissary (although I know better...google Dru's Law, she was taken from our local shopping mall)

And for now, home intrusions shouldnt be something I need to worry about unless they come in through MY window of all places...I'm living with my parents and Dad is about 10 feet from the guns and quite adept with them