Got hit by a construction vehicle.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by loveit247, Apr 2, 2009.

1. loveit247

Gold Member

I was sitting at a red light on my scooter. The light changes and I start to pull off. The next thing I know, I am being shoved HARD from behind. I glance over my shoulder and see the bucket of a front end loader is wedged inbetween the tail light and top box rack on my bike.

The guy was not slowing down at all. I realised if I didn't take evasive action I was going to be killed. I gunned the accelerator and turned the nose of the bike away from the front end loader. I managed to get the bike unstuck but he clipped the back and I spun out into the next lane. My bike fell and so did I! Hard!

All I remember is my helmet cracking the tar. Next thing I know I am on my hands and knees severely winded. I managed to haul myself up. I lovely man had stopped and he picked up my scooter and put it on the pavement.

The driver of the front end got out and when he saw I was "OK" tried to just leave!
    The man who picked up my bike called him back and held him by the arm until he gave me all his details.

The owner of the company that employs him is being very nice about it and will be repairing my bike!

I am pretty banged up, I have badly bruised ribs, my whole right side is a network of roasties and I have a very stiff neck. Basically everything hurts!

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Jesus Christ, Loveit! That is just fucking scary and disturbing. I can believe how that bastard tried to leave when he saw that you were alive, and thank goodness that other man stepped up to help you!

If you came through that alive and with no internal bleeding or injuries and nothing broken then you are one lucky (not to mention smart) lady.

3. loveit247

Gold Member

Yip, it was fucking scary. I am in quite a butt load of pain today. My neck is hurting and I am battling to breath. I just want to sleep as well. I need to be careful of that with my depression, I can't let the shock of this knock me into a depression. So I am trying to keep up and at em, with a sore neck and pounding head it is difficult.

4. downloadking

downloadking Member

Insane story there! Sounds like criminal charges should be filed.

5. loveit247

Gold Member

For what? It was an accident.

6. Barbwire

Gold Member

Holy shit, man! :eek What a terrifying experience that must have been for you. You must be one tough cookie to have been able to walk away from it.

7. loveit247

Gold Member

I have always been strangely strong for a small girl. I am lucky that way, I got it from my mother. Still hurts like a bitch and I am milking it for all it's worth though! LOL!

8. igor

Gold Member

What a bummer - I hope you got checked out by a doctor.

9. loveit247

Gold Member

Nah, just bashed up a little.

10. heelfetish

Gold Member

OMG, so worry to hear that, Loveit! I'm glad you're OK though, and I wish you a speedy recovery!

11. Dreama

Gold Member

Holy fucking shit! You cannot get yourself killed, loveit! Get well!

12. HardRocker

Gold Member

You shouldn't have to pay a cent (or whatever you call it there) for any medical treatment or to fix your scooter. But now you have a good story about taking expert evasive action.

13. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Holy shit! Glad you're OK albeit banged up. Take care of yourself and don't be afraid ask the perpetrator to help with that. Yes, it was an accident, but it sure sounds like there was some negligence involved. Equipment operators and their employers are responsible for NOT injuring folks or damaging property, bottom line (at least here in the US). Just because something was an accident doesn't mean there aren't consequences (as you are experiencing today).

Stories like this remind me...today could very well be our last day, ya know? There's a few things that always brings to mind for me:

1) Live in the present...don't lament the past, and don't try to plan the future around things you can't control (which is most of it). Acknowledge and enjoy the good that falls in your lap today. There may not be a tommorrow.

2) Tell the folks you love that you love them (and friggin' act like it). You might not get another chance.

3) If there's someone you know you've hurt, take responsibility for your actions and ask for their forgiveness. Don't be too proud or too much of a wuss to say "I was wrong" without making excuses. You might not get another chance.

4) Party like a rock star!

BD

14. loveit247

Gold Member

They are fixing my bike and replacing my helmet. That is all I want.

15. cbrmale

Gold Member

My wife and I were talking about how many relatives she's lost on South African roads over the last few years, and now I read this. Seems like a dangerous place.

16. loveit247

Gold Member

Because you hear bad news stories? It is very unlikely that news will ever say "nothing bad happened in South Africa today, everyone was happy and things are cool". People don't care when things are ok.

There are road accidnets EVERYWHERE, when you mix people and machines, shit happens!

17. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Loveit24/7,
    Got to admit it, you are a F...ing tough person.
    Admit having been in similar situation about 20 years ago; me on a mc at red traffic light and wet roads with milk tanker coming fast behind and not going to stop in time. Watched in horror in rear vision mirror as it approached, braked, skidded and was not going to stop. Did only reasonable thing available and gunned it through red lights...... so hoping no traffic on right or left. Still here today so there was not at least as I got through that intersection. As it transpired that truck stopped half way thru that intersection. Me still having nightmares about that now.
    With all my heart, get well soon and enjoy your life ever so much more.
    You are blessed!
    We on SF love you.

18. loveit247

Gold Member

LOL! Can I start enjoying life when I can breath properly again? Bruised ribs hurt like a bitch!

19. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

I am so pleased to hear that you escaped far more serious injury or even worse loveit......:)

*puts on father's hat*
    But this was not an "accident".....it was caused by negligence...
    He hit you from behind AND he tried to leave the scene.......:mad
    Of course his employer will nice to you.....because you not only deserve to be compensated for your bike and safety gear (which thankfully held up).....
    But also for the pain and suffering that THEY have caused you......:weaksauce
    You would be well within your rights to sue their bloody ass off......:pistols

20. Rocket Queen

Rocket Queen New Member

exactly!!!!!!

Glad you're ok, have they paid for all your medical bills? I'm sure if you filed a report if you have any further injuries resulting from this 'accident' they should be covered.