Got A Job Finally/Fucking Scared

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kermit, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Kermit

Gold Member

The other night i was on a whim checked Craig's List, two new openings showed up seven hours before, one i was not qualified for but one that scared me but sent in my resume and see what happened. Only thing i didn't have was the steel toe boots yet. But anyways the job can be summed up in three words: Five Gallon Buckets. It's a warehouse job that is described as very rough labor, but 9 bucks an hour enough to catch my attention and give it a try.

I sent it in didn't think much of it til this morning i get a call at 8:30 they wanted me to work that day! I told him i needed a bit of time to get ready, the recruiter i mean. So anyways i got ready,s haved mybeard cleaned up, and right out the door he says "oh we don't need you today, but u are still hired just gotta deal with the paper work."

This is not a bitching story very happy about this. It scares me cause this is unlike any other job i've had my first "real" job that no one could disparage me for :). ANd 9 bucks an hour woohoo! But anyways i foundo ut where it is and found the front office. Was gonna pick up paper work turns out i was confused and he had emailed it but at least i can find it now :).

Heres the really cool part...after all taht was said and done about 4PM today i get a call from an unknown number. Panda Express called me and we scheduled an interview (after my shift is over, i start at 6AM, oh shit) so i gotta get off, get some paper work notarized, get cleaned up get in my suit and go fora n interview with another place. Life is funny sometimes! :)

2. Alwayslearningsex

Gold Member

YEAY! Congrats Kermit. A bit of pun .... do you have a .... green job?

3. backcheck64

Gold Member

Congrats. What's so scary?..the physical labor part? I packed 2900lbs of tile..twice today, once at the warehouse, then at the home.

Dollar General was hiring warehouse workers at $11 hr day, $12.50 night here.

4. Kermit

Gold Member

Backcheck i somehow knew you would make it to this thread. I'm not used to rough labor never done a labor job. And i've never made more than 8 dollars an hour (well maybe slightly over) so still stoked about that :). I hope my body can take it, i'm overweight out of shape, not the strongest guy in the world.

#4 Kermit, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  5. Alwayslearningsex

Gold Member

Is there a chance to come up with little tricks to make it easier?
    Like one guy used to tell: "Don't work harder, work smarter"

6. AGFUNK

Gold Member

That's great news! I'm sure you will be fine. There's always that new job jitters. I wish you luck:)

7. backcheck64

Gold Member

Look at it this way, you've got an exercise program built in. Saves going to the gym.

8. 1hotmamma420

Gold Member

Good luck!!! Congrats too! **remember...lift with legs first not back!! If not you'll pull and hurt yourself**

9. Wildwoman59

Wildwoman59 New Member

Cogratukations on the new job. Everyone has a little "new job" anxiety. My advice is: ask questions when you don't understand something and walk with confidence. (or should I say hop?)

10. Kermit

Gold Member

Turns out theres no Eight Gallon Buckets for me to lift. I spent hte whole day gluing labels to bottles/boxes. I had no idea what kind of job it was, turns out it's a Carpet Glue Manufacturing Plant, my hands ended up covered in it. No heavy lifting but how they do it, it's harder than it looks getting the glue just right and off your hands and done fast.

11. Kermit

Gold Member

Actually yes, they refuse to give us Styrofoam cups for coffee supposedly cause it's bad for the environment, me thinks it's a cost cutting move that appears to be environmentally green but really financially green

12. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Congrats Kermit. Paper cups are way cheaper and can fit more in together in the same length of styrofoam. I need a job.....

13. Kermit

Gold Member

try snagajob or craigs list, i got mine from the latter

14. Kermit

Gold Member

Oh forgot Careers USA

15. zeemba

zeemba New Member

i envy you.. hehe

16. Kermit

Gold Member

I had been searching since Thanksgiving, very happy to have found it. After those interviews with Walmart and McDonalds and the Gold Exchange never yielded fruit. Took a toll on my self esteem not feeling good enough for even McDonalds (who had five positions opened up, and i was the only one in a suit!) or the Gold Exchange (they didn't like my misdemeanor) plus me locking up on the Wal-Mart interview (they were asking me stuff i was unprepared for, like to name examples right away for stuff that never came up in previous jobs, feeling not good enough to work at wal-mart.) So that was rough on me, what good am I if i'm not even good enough for McDonald's? But nice to have a "real" job now where i won't be ridiculed or listen to statements like "i'd rather my man be unemployed than work at Pizza Hut!" or like once while i was still working for Mapco i was fixing to go to work while i was at (at the time) my girlfriend's and her daughter was asking about where i was going and i said "i've gotta go to work, maybe when you grow up you'll work for this company too, it's a great place" and my girlfriend (at the time) stepped in and say "no when she grows up she's gonna have a real job!" as if i insulted a six year old by suggesting my company when she grows up. So it's nice to have a "real job" outside of fast food or a Gas Station that is looked down upon or "better to be unemployed than work there" jobs.

17. xeniadraven

Gold Member

Thats an awful thing for someone to say. In this day and age people are lucky to even have jobs. Christ if you have bills to pay surely you work wherever they'll pay you. A job is a job end of - well done on finding the right one for you xx

18. Kermit

Gold Member

Yeah Mapco was good money, well not good but i got full time hours, often overtime cuase i developed a reputation for being hungry for hours and no life so i had nothing better to do than come to work and could come in at a moments notice beyond "let me get cleaned up and i'll be right there!" and they would call me in frequently either by management or employees themselves who can't or dont' wanna work.

19. backcheck64

Gold Member

I managed a fast food restaurant back in the mid 80s through mid 90s, not fun but I was making damn good money. My GF, now wife, had no problem with me working fast food...driving new cars, traveling, going to Blues and Cardinal games all of the time, new clothes, every electronic item you could want....

Don't knock fast food, I have a friend making $92K a year as a regional manager for a fast food chain....with nothing more than a HS education. Of course he needs it with four ex wives and, well he's down to support on two kids.

20. Kermit

Gold Member

Yeah these days you can't knock anything, a job is a job. There is dignity now even in wearing a chicken suit and waving a sign.