Good Health Habits

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thorn, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Thorn

Gold Member

I have just begun to get back in shape. For a few years now I have ranged between 195 and 205 lbs, I'm 5'6". For starters I completely quit drinking. I've had a serious drinking problem for 8 years; average 12 drinks (beer mostly) per night. I've been dry now for 5 days, and have started a daily workout regime.
    I still smoke a pack of cigs a day but I want to stop that in a month or so. I just need to concentrate on the alcohol problem first and then tackle the smokes. :tup

I'll try to update my progress in this thread as I progress. If any :sf members want to add their stories please feel free to join in. ;)

2. Jayce

Gold Member

I've tried cigarettes, but I think they suck. I absolutely love cigars, though. I just find them so much smoother and more enjoyable, plus they're pretty cheap and the paranoia of being "hooked" like cigs just isn't there. I've smoked as much as 7 or 8 large cigars a night (I was plowed), but on average I'll smoke 2-3 a week.

The only health habits I really have are with what I drink. I completely drink only diet soda. This is for two reasons... I'm a neat freak with my teeth, and I'd rather drink diet so it's easier on my teeth, plus I don't get muy grande de papa within a few weeks.

Other than that, I just get the bike out and go for a ride. There's lots of hills around here, so it gives you a good variety. One thing I absolutely love, is taking the bike out, putting it in the highest gear (21 for me) and never sitting down. Now that gives you a workout, forcing yourself to not sit down or switch gears and just keep pushing. The feeling after I get off my bike and walk up to the house makes it feel like my thighs are going to explode out of my skin. Makes me feel like my name is ahh-nold.

I eat salads now and then, but if I want to eat nothing but brownies all day, I'll do it. I just look at it as "meh, I'll just tack on 2 more miles on my bike ride today." :lol

3. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Proud of ya Thorn! You go guy!! You may have noticed that our Lt. Governor has started a diet and exercise program, too, so you're in good company. I'm sure that he'd be proud of you too! As for me, I need to cut back on the chocolate, especially the "brownie bites" sold by a local grocery chain of which I am particularly fond. I am participating in a program through the University of Virginia where they are using people like me as research subjects regarding diet and exercise (right now my Doctors want to prevent any future problems in my lower leg where I had an infection and was hospitalized last year). They also say that I drink way too much Diet Coke and want to introduce me to the wonders of plain ol' water, ha, ha! The UVA researchers are mainly concerned with people doing a lot more walking, swimming or other aerobic activity. By the way, if there is a YMCA near you, I read something about September being a month in which they may be giving out free or discounted memberships. I may call one of the local YMCAs to ask about that. I know that American Family Fitness apparently will try to work out deals with people too. Out where I live, we have a lot of bicycle clubs riding along, training (it's um, kind of entertaining to happen upon a group of female cyclists, while driving in my car, and ride along behind them ;>) but there are too many good ol' boys tossing back brewskis when they drive, out here, and I'd be afraid of getting run over! Also, apparently the regard LOTS OF SEX as a healthy exercise! ;>

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Awsome dude ... take up Ultimate Frisbee, good cardio as you're always running and it helps with flexibility.

5. pirouette

Gold Member

It seems like I've been getting back "in shape" for years now! I decided on the slow and steady route. I lost weight at what seemed like a snail's pace but it helped my metabolism adjust to a new rate slowly. It always help your sex life to be healthy physically. Feeling better about yourself might do a lot for your confidence and your libido.
    I wish you the best in your efforts.

6. Bluesy

Gold Member

Good for you, Thorn! I think it's smart to go about it in small steps.

I recently lost a dress size because I've been eating healthier and getting a bit more exercise. Like Pirouette, I've taken things very slowly, which is not only good for the metabolism, it's good for the wardrobe! I've dropped weight quickly in the past and had to replace practically everything in my closet...it sort of offsets the joy of losing weight.

7. Thorn

Gold Member

Thanks y'all! This is my 6th day of sobriety !:D

I can't believe the energy I now have at night. And instead of going to bed with Rose and passing out 5 minutes later we now cuddly, etc. :eek: And the aerobic workouts are awesome! I can almost keep up with Rose now, except on the hills. :mad

8. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Good for ya Thorn ... you might inspire me to get back in shape .... I need to put some muscle weight on. Good luck lad, we're all rootin' for you!

9. Thorn

Gold Member

Thanks A-1! You beef up and I will pork down.:)

10. Thorn

Gold Member

I haven't been loosing weight fast enough since I quit drinking so I started a calorie diet yesterday, lost 2 lbs. I think I've been eating more to make up for not drinking. Sort of like when someone quits smoking. Anyway, this is my 10th day of being sober and I love it! I feel different, I look different, and I don't cuss nearly as much. Our sex life is better too.:brow

11. Thorn

Gold Member

Seams like this has become my own personal thread. :lol Maybe I should move it to the Journals section.

Any way this (Friday) is my 12 day of not drinking! I have really become a different person in less than 2 weeks. I have energy all day and night; I'm hardly ever cranky any more, sex is better, and on and on. [​IMG] will vouch for me on the "sex is better part. :cool :brow I also walk/run on the treadmill daily and watch my diet. Lost 8 to 10 lbs. already! :) I'm sure I'll work on the cigs in the fairly near future. When I quit smoking I will go at it cold turkey like I did with the drinking. I'm basically obsessive compulsive when it comes to starting habits therefore I'm obsessive compulsive when quitting them. So my new good changes are becoming good habits for me. I know I'm ridding the waves and feeling high on the changes now, but I know I'm in it for the long run. It's a great feeling. :tup

12. Jayce

Gold Member

Cheese contains calcium, doesn't it? If so, I'm getting a shitload due to all of the mac and cheese I've eaten recently. Perhaps that'll be my justification from now on to eat shit like that, find one good thing it has, even if it only has 2% of it, and gobble it all up! AHH NUM NUM NUM AHAH GAB

13. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Wow, Thorn that's really great! I'm happy for you, and jealous too because men always lose weight more quickly and easily than women. I have a tendency to not eat when I'm depressed, and that's the state I was in about one year ago when my ex and I were breaking up. But ever since I came to Sweden and Krof and I began living together I've put on about twenty pounds of 'happy fat.' I don't consciously watch what I eat but I do try get some exercise and avoid sweets.

I think when people quit drinking, especially beer, they do have a tendency to increase their food intake because their bodies are used to getting all those calories and they have to come from somewhere. One of my coworkers told me that when her dad quit drinking, all of a sudden he wanted to drink three strawberrry malted milkshakes a day because he wasn't getting all those beer calories anymore. :)

14. Jayce

Gold Member

I wish I had 3 strawberry shakes a day. MMMMMMMMMMM :(

15. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

See, what I do is to eat brownies or brownie bites then drink Diet Coke which cancels them out! Ha, ha! I WISH!

16. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

An even HIGHER libido? :nerv Ruh-Roh!!!

17. Thorn

Gold Member

15 days w/out booze! And yesterday was really hard on me. I was tempted in my head all afternoon, but I made it w/out slipping back. I kept saying, "one day at a time," "one day at a time." I guess those days will come and go once in a while, but today is a new day and I'm strengthened by yesterday's victory!:dance

18. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

*looks at his fridge full of booze* :(

You are too much of a good influence on me, Thorn.

19. pirouette

Gold Member

Too much of a good thing, Rose? I'm not sure how much higher a man's libido can get on average, but mine certainly increases with healthy habits. :lol

20. Thorn

Gold Member

Your theory must be true piroutte, because I (we) seem to not just do our regular routine when we have sex. We experiment and verbally communicate more now. Mainly because of me not drinking the day before.

Update:
    1) I have been sober now for almost 4 weeks!

2) I have been walking/running the treadmill and the neighborhood for about
    3 weeks!

3) I watch what I eat. I eat sensible portions, and snack on healthy
    items.

4) Our evenings are spent doing fun and different things instead of just
    getting plastered. Rose only has a glass or two of wine every other
    night. She used to drink heavier just because I would.

5) I don't cuss nearly as much as I used to.

6) I'm much more open and excited again about sex. ;)

I could go on and on. The main thing in all this is that I can be more of the man that she chose to spend the rest of her life with 29 years ago.