Getting fit again!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by xeniadraven, May 11, 2013.

1. xeniadraven

Gold Member

All through my teens i struggled with my weight and as i hit 21 i managed to shed 5 stone (70 lbs) after 2 kids my weight has fluctuated but I have had it under control now for 4 years. In fact i am slimmer now than I was aged 21.
    I've now decided to forget numbers and concentrate instead on how fit I feel. After doing 3 days of a certain famous female personal trainer from the US's dvd i am in sheer agony! I thought i was pretty fit but my strength vs my cardio is rubbish.
    I wanted to start this thread so i can give myself a kick up the arse when i need one :D

2. kipro150

kipro150 Member

you can do eet!

i wish i could find the motivation to stick with exercising. I just do simple stuff in my room with dumbells and situps/pushups when i have the energy, but unfortunately thats like..once a month haha. so i see no real results. its annoying cuz i see potential to be the "skinny toned" that i want, but i flake out so easily

good luck though : )

3. ginger

Gold Member

Ive found your Horizontal fitness to be well..... extraordinary :D

4. AtkCCC

Gold Member

Best of luck to you. In the last 10 years I've lost 30 lbs 3 seperate times only to gain it back. I just started back on my fitness, so much harder as age sneaks up on me.

Anyway good luck!

5. xeniadraven

Gold Member

My cardio fitness is great as ginger has pointed out ;)

I want to build up my strength. I want thighs that can ride all night lol instead of giving in and rolling over so he has to finish the job :lol

6. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

It's good that you realize it's not about what you look like but your fitness level and health. That's what it's really about.

7. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

Not to be an ass, but if you're eating properly and exercising five days a week, it is very difficult to gain weight back.

So I am guessing you didn't do either of those.

8. xeniadraven

Gold Member

I look great but feel shit lol. I need to even up the balance!!

9. AtkCCC

Gold Member

Yet you do it so well (ass). You do not know me nor what my life is about. I never said I was not physically fit, just I had gain 30lbs, thats over my peak training weight. Having spent the majority of my adult life in the Military I know a thing or two about training at a level you will never experience. I also have to train around old injuries. You are the last person to give me advice on anything...Sit down and learn from your mistakes.

#9 AtkCCC, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  10. 12barblues

Gold Member

Yep....I've now taken two years off without a steady workout routine... Only occasionally hit the gym now....and yes, as we age, those first few weeks are harder and harder to get thru. Every time I start up again it takes longer and longer to get back into shape. And I have to be very cautious about injury now too...

11. xeniadraven

Gold Member

But you are BUFF!!:phat

12. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

Um...I didn't make any mistakes.

Anyway, despite what you said, the fact remains that people who exercise regularly and eat properly do not gain back weight lost. It's just simple science. Sorry if what I said bothered you, but it's just reality.

13. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

Wow, that sucks.

Why did you stop exercising for so long?

14. xeniadraven

Gold Member

Um....I started this thread for motivation for me and others who are looking to get fit. It would be nice if we could keep a positive vibe.
    FOTS by all means offer some motivational tips on how you keep fit.

15. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

Oh, I was being positive. I was just stating reality.

Anyway, for me it's not about how I look (though I will admit I look a heck of a lot better now than when I weighed more).

I just think about illnesses caused by obesity. I think about what happens to a person's body when they don't exercise. Sometimes the scare tactic is the most effective, unfortunately. Bribes don't really work, although it is nice to reward yourself in some small way for sticking to your workouts. Threats are more effective.

Diabetes, heart disease, joint problems, increased risk of cancer are just a few things caused by inactivity. Some people think that if they're thin, it's okay to not exercise. Not true. Lack of exercise alone is a risk factor in so many diseases. Obesity is a risk factor. Put obesity and lack of exercise together and you can imagine...it's scary.

And I also feel great after working out. So that helps. While I'm doing it, it's hard, but I just stick with it because in the long run, it's actually harder not to exercise for the reasons I've mentioned.

16. ginger

Gold Member

Pick a physical activity that there is less chance of an injury yet gets and keeps you fit....Swimming?

17. xeniadraven

Gold Member

I luuurve a man in trunks ;) its worth going swimming for the view lol

18. AtkCCC

Gold Member

Over the last few years I have gotten into swimming. Luckly we have an inground pool so a few laps is not an all day event. One big benifit we have found with swimming in the evenings is how well we sleep. I have hip and knee issues so the water helps with low impact as well.

19. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

Swimming is good.

I find people using injuries and aches and pains as an excuse not to work out. But there are so many exercises with zero impact, like swimming, using an elliptical at a gym, and other things.

I rarely hear people say they don't have time to eat every day. Or say, "I have to eat through this mouth injury."

I think exercise is uncomfortable. It is. I say this as someone who has exercised for the past two years. It can be fun, but it's often uncomfortable. Your heart rate is up, your lungs have to work harder, everything in your body has to work. And it feels difficult. But it's a good thing. It's what your body needs to do.

In a sitting on butt world that bears little resemblance to the one where our ancestors had to constantly search for food, regular, scheduled exercise is absolutely essential for everyone.

When I started, I just knew I didn't want to be fat anymore. What I learned along the way is that lack of exercise is just plain dangerous--almost as dangerous as smoking. It's neither okay nor acceptable, and people need to stop thinking it is.

20. ginger

Gold Member

Im sorry Xeniandraven I have to dispute this if the above is true why are you always wanting me out of mine ? :eyes