getting (and staying) motivated to exercise...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ejmcelfresh, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ejmcelfresh

Verified Gold Member

just wanted to know how anyone stays motivated to exercise. I am very unhappy with my weight, used to be 165 coming out of basic training (medical discharge) but I've gained a lot of weight since then. I'm currently 210 :\ i look and feel like crap. I want to work out and drop all this excess weight but I can never stay motivated to stick with it. Any advice?

ply likes this.
  2. lbushwalker

Gold Member

It is all on your mind.
    You want something bad them you can make it happen, it is entirely in your hands.
    If you fall for self lame excuses you will certainly fail.
    Set yourself a goal, target and reward then work your way unerringly to it.
    One of mine is to have $1 with six zeros following of wealth for every decade of my life, I am still short by a couple but will get there however if by chance this is not realised while I am still upright then it will still catch after my age stops such is my set up :)
    I used the same mindset to scale a peak in the Himalayas; trained my arse off for 12 months, climbed that mother in my head then just went out there and did it in style because all my fears of failure had evaporated.

ply likes this.
  3. SOOM3030

Gold Member

For me, it took making a life-changing decision. I weighed 265 at age 13 (barely 5' tall at the time), and in my late teens I finally decided I could not live that way any more and would do absolutely whatever it took to change it.

Admittedly, I went way overboard with over-exercising and dieting - min. 4 hours vigorous exercise daily, in addition to a full time labor-intensive job, and never more than 500 calories per day under any circumstances. In just under a year, I was down to 120 lbs. (and I was 6' tall by then - way too skinny) but it's not safe to lose that much weight that quickly, and my self-imposed exercise/eating habits were extremely unhealthy.

I ended up pretty ill and weak for over a year afterward, and the lack of nutrients and such caused me to lose a lot of calcium in my bones - I take supplements but can still get fractures more easily than what I should. I still exercise daily (run a mile or two each morning, 100 push-ups/100 sit-ups over the course of the day), but I'm careful to make sure I'm eating right and getting enough calories to support that amount of exercise.

My advice is find your own reason to keep at it everyday, but talk to your doctor and work out a medically sound diet/exercise plan. Trust me, the gung-ho, "meh, this seems like it'll work" method can really come back to bite you on the ass.....i can't stress that part enough

#3 SOOM3030, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    lbushwalker likes this.
  4. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

My method of motivation is simple:

In my garage, where I have all my exercise stuff, I have a shirt and pair of pants from when I was at my heaviest hanging on the wall. Well, more like covering the wall. :eek:

You see something like that and it motivates the hell out of you.

5. AtkCCC

Gold Member

You really need a workout buddy. It helps a lot. When you feel less than motivated you buddy is there for encouragement and such. Friendly competition is also healthy. My wife and I are workout partners.

6. ejmcelfresh

Verified Gold Member

thanks for the advice, I've been trying to get motivated to do this and this really helps.

7. AGFUNK

Gold Member

I do it for me and my son deserves a healthy momma.

ply likes this.
  8. ply

ply
    Gold Member

I have noticed that how healthy I am makes a big difference. When I am just barely scratching by to stay breathing, exercise doesn't much enter my mind. Need to be healthy enough to do it first

9. SOOM3030

Gold Member

Y'know, you just illustrated one of the parts that makes losing weight the most difficult: being overweight is unhealthy, so you don't feel good enough to exercise - but exercising is the only way to lose the weight and feel healthy.

Getting started is always the hardest part, but if you commit to doing it and stick with it, it gets easier all the time.

ply, 10_3XL and Cappy_Dick like this.
  10. Doitagain

Verified Gold Member

Well any exercise will help. But really it's a snow ball effect. If you can start on a good schedule of moderate exercise and get past the first couple painful weeks you will notice some results whether it just be some more energy, a couple pounds lost or some more stamina or just "the runners high". It will or should encourage you to keep going and push harder. I am in the same boat but time is lacking so it's important to find at least 20 minutes every other day to do SOMETHING .

ply likes this.
  11. AGFUNK

Gold Member

Eating better is the most part of it. You really are what you eat. More veggies, fruits and lean meat instead of fast food, burgers, hotdogs, processed crap, etc.

ply and ginger like this.
  12. ginger

Gold Member

regular exercise can mean better appetite, better nights sleep, better metabolism, more energy/stamina = better SEX :cool:
    (amongst others)

motivation sorted ;)

ply and HotForHoney like this.
  13. danrb007

Gold Member

I admit I have a hard time motivating myself to workout. I am starting a new program this week.

14. evrythiniscontd

Verified Gold Member

DSC_1527.jpg I spent majority of my free time last month turning a spare room into a gym, I was hoping as I spent so much time and effort getting how I wanted it it would push me more than its ever done. I've done ok but my failing is appetite, I don't eat enough, I work to many hours and drink to much coffee. I'm to skinny oh and ale doesn't help lol the way I'm going I may have a beer belly by the end of the year. :( DSC_1528.jpg
    View attachment 19254 DSC_1579.jpg

Doitagain and danrb007 like this.
  15. ginger

Gold Member

im not an expert but your Gym as fine as it is... is missing leotards, hot pants and sports bras :p

evrythiniscontd and Doitagain like this.
  16. Doitagain

Verified Gold Member

I swear. ..the hardest part is just getting started

danrb007 and evrythiniscontd like this.
  17. sandwich

Gold Member

I only participate in activities I love or like a lot (there are several). It just makes sense that a person will stick to things he or she enjoys. I find leg raises on a mat to be incredibly boring so I refuse to do them. Hanging leg raises are what I do instead because they are fun. I would also rather do pull-ups over multiple reps of uninspiring arm and back exercises. I also prefer push-ups over most chest exercises. There are so many things you can do that there has to be one that you would love. My favorites are ballet, hiking and cycling. I do change it up a lot to keep it fresh and also to challenge myself. Recently I had been playing a lot of soccer to help one of my nieces practice. That is over so I will probably get myself involved in Pilates or yoga for a few months. Year round I do strength training because I love the stimulation and feeling strong, but even that changes. In the summer I try to do most of it outdoors except for two days a week at the gym. Starting after the time change I get to the gym four days a week, and I will skate indoors and ski when the snow flies. Maybe you're a rock climber or a swimmer or a long distance runner.

18. 12barblues

Gold Member

My issue is always time.. But after taking about 10 weeks off and feeling like shit for it.. I just started again this week..

ply and evrythiniscontd like this.
  19. 12barblues

Gold Member

A little sore today.. Yesterday was first workout w anything more than body weight.. Love this feeling tho..

evrythiniscontd likes this.
  20. ginger

Gold Member

as much as the feeling is a buzz allow extra time for recovery, its as important as exercising..