General Help on Moods

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eros, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Eros

Eros New Member

I have a work/relationship problem.

Problem 1) I have some personal issues, baggage (whatever the going term is) like everyone else; I am working on them and doing well however when I get tired I revert back to a bad part of me - i get obssesive, angry and negative. (Yes, I know it is very unattractive - hence why I am working on it).

Problem 2) My work. I run a vet hospital with 3 new doctors. If you haven't worked in a vet hospital it is stressful - everyone comes in emotionally charged, often crying, sometimes without money and all wanting to fix their beloved dog. In the last 3 weeks, I have had one day off. The last 4 nights - I have gotten emergency calls at midnight, every night. My hours run 10 - 14 hours each. At work I am happy and perky! Have to be for the staff and clients.

At home, I am great until I totally run out of steam (after 7 or more days in a row). By the time I get home from a 12 hour day, know that I may be at work at midnight and then back to work at 6am for another 10+ hour shift----- I have a hard time not being a jerk!

Anyone have advice other than leaving my job or becoming a hermit? I am taking out my stress on the person who should be getting my best!

2. kbate

kbate New Member

You need to understand that a Job is only a Job. When you walk out of work you have to have a little ritual to help you put the day in perspective.

Walk around your car 3 times, Do breathing exercises, Stop for coffee or Juice or something every day on the way home, DO something that gives you another person to smile at before you go home after a stressful day.

Misery is always optional, you have the option of leaving the feelings at work when you step out the door. If you take the intensity of your job home with you sooner or later (and probably sooner) you will drive a wedge between yourself and your loved ones.

If you truly love the work you can learn to truly accept the responsibilities that go with it and you will be able to cope with the stresses. Annoyance with the hours and emergency calls indicates a lack of love for the job. Perhaps it is time for another partner.

3. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Eros, I think you're simply over-worked. Your wife is getting the leftovers, which ain't much.... :ugh
    It happens alot, especially if you tend be the kind that 'carries the world on his shoulders', and you're gonna have to make a firm decision concerning priorities. I'm not sure if you have the option of calling your own shots, but if so, perhaps you could spread the work load out more. The hospital is not going to fall apart if you aren't at the helm every moment. You know I am a strong proponent of commitment to family/lover and that is one thing that WILL fall apart, if you aren't there.

Sharing the hopital responsiblities will be hard at first, cuz you gotta let others do things, and they may not do it like you, or even as well as you. but thats part of letting it go. You just have to trust that even if it's not 'your' way, more than likely, they are able to do the job, and do it well. Once you get used to delegating, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Of course, I may be way off here, but hopefully some of what I said could help....Good luck!

4. astridaku

astridaku New Member

I just read your post, hope you are feeling better