gay and lesbian adoption

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by rimmer, Mar 17, 2003.

?

would you let homosexuals of whatever gender adopt

1. yes they should be allowed

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. no they should be excluded

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. dont know i need more information

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. perhaps in the right circumstances

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. rimmer

rimmer New Member

how do you feel on this subject..

my own opinion is that it should not be allowed.......

i dont think that given that these people made the rational choice to live the way they do (same sex relationship) they know that there is absolutly no chance of them having a baby fom within that relationship there has to be somesort of outside influance ie:- ivf or a human donor having sex with one of them..

so it seems to me that as they make there bed they should lie in it...

i also think to bring a child up thinking that same sex relationships are the norm is wrong they arnt and never will be if they were then the human race would die out........

i'm not anti gay good luck to them but as for adoption as far as i'm concerned thats a definate non starter

2. refresh

refresh Contributer

I agree to a certain extent. I think in order for a child to be brought up with a correct mindset, they need to know that there are and will forever be the occasional homo among people they meet. Otherwise they will grow up hating them just for their choice of subject to brush up on, so to speak.

I know some homos who are perfectly fine people. They have jobs, lives, and the occasional romp. They exhibit nothing of the sort that homos are usually stereotyped with, e.g. for gay guys, the lisp and the strange smirks at all other guys. You wouldn't even know they were gay until they told you or you saw them with their arms around another guy. Same with lesbians. Not all lesbians have haircuts like Anne Heche and Ellen Degeneres and run around holding hands with their lovers sucking on lollipops all day. :haha

3. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Yes it should be allowed.

4. refresh

refresh Contributer

Well now, that was straight and to the point. :haha

5. Chanserv

Chanserv New Member

It should be allowed. Why shouldn't gay people have to right to addopt children?

6. refresh

refresh Contributer

Because by choosing their lifestyle, which in and of itself denies them the ability to conceive a child in the first place, they therefore shouldn't have the ability to adopt one and raise it as if they did conceive it.

7. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Well, being rich is a 'lifestyle' so does that mean rich people can't adopt because they are rich?

8. refresh

refresh Contributer

Being rich is not a lifestyle that prevents conceiving.

Being gay is. (You can do your partner all you want but neither one of you are likely to get pregnant.)

9. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I can see your point, but i can't argue with your opinion, my opinion differs

10. refresh

refresh Contributer

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got em, nobody else likes em. (Except for the wickedly kinky.)

11. mick_atlanta

mick_atlanta New Member

"Because by choosing their lifestyle, which in and of itself denies them the ability to conceive a child in the first place, they therefore shouldn't have the ability to adopt one and raise it as if they did conceive it."

This is very illogical. Have you ever studied "reasoning" class in school??
    The focus is on the child's well being, not the ability to give birth. OK!!! I think a child in rich and warm "gay" family is luckier than a child born to the abusive natural parents. I would have two moms or two dads rather than being in this divorced family, where mom and dad turn their back on each other. I would rather be "gay" than having divorced parents or corrupted family!! Although there is no research showing that having gay parents actually causes you to be gay , I think the effect on sexual orientation is much lighter than effect on education+mental status-->secondary to living in
    In fact, I think divorced and abusive family are more likely to cause children to be gay than nurturing "gay" families.

Make sense??

I support gay adoption. :D
    Mick

12. Giancarlo

Giancarlo New Member

I am wondering why I didn't catch this before.

Being gay is not a choice.. to say it is to have an illogical line of thought. Nothing but a homophobe you are.

13. Samurai

Samurai New Member

Sure it is, you don't remember?? It was question number 3, right after you chose your sex and race.

I don't see how a kid raised by a gay couple would "learn" to be gay themselves. Ask most gay people and they'll tell you their parents were straight as an arrow.

14. Mongolguy

Mongolguy New Member

Well, Rosie O'Donnell has two adopted children so I guess the people in charge are ok with it.
    I think it should be the same as for "traditional" couples. As long as they meet the same requirements of financial security and mental stability, I say let 'em adopt as many as they can.

15. Giancarlo

Giancarlo New Member

Yeah that is true... I could of choosen to be Chinese... lol... but I thought being Spanish was more my style... lol. ;)

There was a study done and it proved that kids raised by gay couples are not any more prone to turn out gay than kids raised by straight couples.

16. TheNavigator

TheNavigator New Member

Totally agree with you Giancarlo

oh, hi everybody bytheway, first post here :)

anyway, I think that gay couples should be given the same rights with adoption as straight ones, first of all because research has shown that parents do not influence the sexual orientation of their children (i've done a research paper on that during the last couple of months so I got a lot of documentation on this, if u want to read the paper feel free to ask) and there are simply not enough parents to adopt children who are waiting for adoption. Furthermore if you ask some children who have grown up with gay parents (most of which are straight bytheway) if they have grown up happy or would have prefered to be adopted by a straight couple, nearly all of them will reply that they love their adoptive parents and would not change the situation for any gold in the world.

It's not like children risk getting into an unstable household with drugusing parents, this is true both for straight and gay couples. Adoptions agencies do a lot of screening to make sure an adoption is in the best interest of the child, and it's in this same interest of the child that in my oppinion this adoption should be allowed.

17. ViviWannabe

ViviWannabe New Member

Homosexuality a choice? Um, no...

Gay people have just as much as straight people do. I don't see why it should be a problem. It's not like gay couples preach to their children that they have to be gay when they grow up. A child who is adopted by gay parents are almost garaunteed (sp?) to have freedom about their sexual preference, since their parents know what it's like. So they're straight, okay. So they're gay, it doesn't matter. Childreen are not going to learn to be gay from their parents unless they were already gay to begin with.

There's actually medical evidence showing that homosexuality in men is an occurence of nature. Ever hear of Xq28? This "gay gene" sits on the X chromosome and is inherited from the mother. The gene has a mutation on it which causes a certain hormone, which is crucial to the masculinization of a baby's brain, to be absent during the baby's development. This causes the baby's brain to be only partially masculinised, causing an attraction to men, or at least a disinterest in women. If a gay guy had a blood child and it were a boy, the baby would not be gay because he inherited the Y chromosome from his father, and the gene is on the X chromosome. However, if it were a girl, she would have a chance of having gay sons.
    Since the default sex of the human race is female, feminization of the brain is unnecessary. Therefore, the mutated gene does not affect women.

Another way it happens has nothing to do with genes. When A woman is pregnant with a male baby, estrogen and other hormones build up in her body during the masculization process to prevent her brain from being masculinized. If the woman already has high estrogen levels, or if she has had 3 or more male births, this estrogen can build up and seep into the baby's brain. The result is the same as above; the baby's brain is not fully masculinized, only this time it's due to too many hormones as opposed to not enough.

Homosexuality in women is more a product of environment rather than nature, but that doesn't mean it can be helped any more then it can in men. One think to understand, though. HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT A DISEASE OR DISORDER! Blue eyes, blonde hair, Type-O blood, and even the ability to digest milk after infancy are all caused by genetic mutations, and they are not disorders (well, maybe blonde hair j/k).

Source; Genome: Biography of a Species in 23 Chapters by Matt Ridley (excellent read)

18. killjoy

killjoy New Member

One of the downfalls that would come frmo this is that the adopted kid would be teased pretty badly at school..........that's the first thing that comes to my mind

19. farspark

farspark New Member

I know HEAPS of lesbian women with children and one gay man who is a Dad. They all make great parents. I agree with Ryan. They should be allow to adopt.

Funny how no one ever worries about straight parents negatively influencing their gay childrens' sexuality! ???

20. Giancarlo

Giancarlo New Member

Love how people ignore the fact that bullying goes on towards tall and skinny people... or fat people too... or people who wear glasses... or even black people too. Sheesh... bullying happens to everybody.

If the parents (gay or straight) stand by their kids (adopted or biological) when bullying occurs, they are truly good parents. But so many parents are not doing that.