Gas prices

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by igor, May 13, 2008.

1. igor

Gold Member

What are gas prices running n your area? Right now it is $3.85 to $3.89 here.

I am particularly interested in what those outside the U.S. are paying - how much has it gone up, say compared to a year ago? I guess the price per barrel of oil now is about $120.

2. Dreama

Gold Member

I dunno. I'll have to take a look when I ride my bike past a gas station, and report back. Hubby and I don't drive.

3. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

It actually hit $126 yesterday, briefly - before settling at $124 & some change :eyes

I read that some of the little "Mon & Pop" stations around the country have outdated pumps, in that their price dial only goes to $3.999. Since it appears we're going to top that at some point, there's talk of some legislation allowing stations with that problem to price it by the 1/2 gallon. Geez!! It's getting ridiculous!

Dreama, you & your hubby are blessed! I would do the bike thing for close errands, but we live in a subdivision that has only one entrance/exit - and it's on to a highly congested major city artery. Thorn says, "Absolutely NOT!"

4. bsxy420

Gold Member

it's 3.75-3.85 here...ive heard its going to be 4 by memorial day...i drive my car as little as possible and my SO rides his motorcycle....mines sittin in the garage waiting on some alterations so i can ride it.

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

It's about $2.00 a liter over here in Sweden, which works out to $7.50 a gallon. It's even more expensive than that in the UK.

Owning a car is very expensive here so the Swede and I can't afford to have one. However, his dad recently told us that he and his wife spend about $800 combined on gas each month.

6. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

$5.03 a gallon, the truck I drive gets 3 miles to the gallon. It also has a 70 gallon tank. :(

I'm going to be getting an insurance settlement. Will most likely getting a motorcycle. over 50 miles to the gallon.

7. igor

Gold Member

is that gas or diesel? Even for diesel that's high.:eek:eek

8. Steel

Steel Member

I don't let it bother me too much... My ride gets about 11 to 15 miles a gallon.... Its my lifestyle... How I choose to live so oh well!

9. Dreama

Gold Member

Yeah, we live in a really small college town. You can get anywhere in town in 10-15 minutes on a bike, and it's awesome. However, we need to get our licenses, to make things easier once we get out of college. We'll be doing that this summer, at least. :) I would say that if Thorn really thinks it's very dangerous to bike where you live, he is probably right. Even where we live, things can be risky. There was one place where hubby and I have to go on the road for a ways on our way to the store. One day, his breaks stopped working, and his tire got stuck in the ditch between the road and sidewalk, and he got thrown off! Well, it was getting dark, and I was a ways behind him, so I thought he had been run over. He had not been, but it had only looked that way. It was a very scary experience. Other than that, riding around here is great.

10. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Now that's the right attitude to have. Complaining will accomplish nothing. Actually it seems that the more people bitch about the price of gas, the higher the prices get.

In the UK, it's something like $10 a gallon now, so be thankful you live in the US (those of you who do) where there's super cheap gas.

11. ranger12

ranger12 New Member

I drive a diesel pickup truck and I paid $4.39 today for diesel. It is getting out of control. I think the fed needs to stop worrying about lowering "the rate" and try to lower gas prices

I saw a writeup the other day that showed prices around the world and in Kuwait they pay .90 cents a gallon for gas.

12. Dreama

Gold Member

Also, in places outside of the US, public transportation is more accessible, and more emphasized. In places outside of most large cities here, pubic transportation is basically unheard of (at least in my neck of the woods). If gas prices do get much higher, public transportation will have to improve everywhere, and that's a plus, I think. Plus, I'm not a big fan of cars.

13. HardRocker

Gold Member

In the 50s and 60s the U.S. automakers relentlessly lobbied against public transportation in our cities. They got what they wanted.

I paid $3.65 here in S.C. Sunday, and filled up for about $53.00.

I'm trying to retrain my brain to allow me to drive with a pussyfoot. I like horsepower and tire smoke... a lot. My old '69 Chevelle doesn't get out much any more, just have to drive the grocery getter.

14. Mr. G

Mr. G Member

Here in Finland it was little over $7 a gallon in the start of 2007 and now it has risen t something between $8.35 and $9.2 a gallon (diesel you can get as cheap as $7.30 a gallon). So ain't cheap here either..

I don't really mind about the high prices as it forces people to reduce their gas use leading to more efficient driving and alternative methods of transportation (public transportation and on short distances walking/cycling) and also alternative energy sources to power cars (bio, water, etc).

#14 Mr. G, May 14, 2008
    Last edited: May 14, 2008
  15. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

That's true. Unless you live somewhere like New York City or Chicago, your public transportation options in the US are quite limited. I'm about to move to a major city in Sweden where P.T. options include buses, trains, trams, and ferries. Even so, it's a city of millions of people and traffic congestion is a problem.

16. igor

Gold Member

Well, it is now 3.999 at our local Shell station and at one of the "bargain" stations it was 4.099 this morning.

We have the opportunity to expand the commuter rail services around here but many idiots oppose additional rail traffic (the noise you know). Well, it's like the idiots that moved next to O'Hare airport - what were you thinking? Why did you move there when you knew about the noise?

We won't have any serious effort on alternative efficient transportation until we actually run out of oil.

17. bsxy420

Gold Member

well on my way around town gas up north of me is up to 3.95 here in town it is 3.89......oh when will it stop going up.

18. igor

Gold Member

They are saying it'll be $5 by Labor Day:(

19. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Im with you Steel.....my turbocharged Falcon doesnt get much more than you...:ugh
    Although the way I drive it probably doesnt help:brow
    Fuel here in Sydney is varies between $1.40 to $1.65 a litre depending on type of fuel.

My racecar (avatar) used to use around a gallon (about 4 ltrs) a run.....but I only used to drive it a 1/4 mile at a time:D

By the way HardRocker......cars like yours are meant to be enjoyed.....I just couldnt leave a classic like that sitting in the shed:D

20. cbrmale

Gold Member

The US dollar has lost 40% of it's value over the last few years, and is still sliding. This means that it's less the price of oil going up as it takes a whole lot more US dollars to buy a barrel of oil. But this doesn't affect other countries as much, because our currencies are appreciating, in a relative sense, to the US dollar. So we pay less Aussie dollars for the 120 US$ it takes to buy a barrel of oil.

Twelve months ago I would have been paying $1.30 a litre for premium unleaded (which is what my European car runs on), and today I pay about $1.40. So there has been a small increase in petrol prices.

Because of the slide in the value of the US dollar and the US debt crises, what we are seeing is that more and more goods traded in Euros which is much more stable. As this trend increases, the US dollar will slide a lot more. Essentially the problem is that based on current rates of growth of US debt, the US will be trying to borrow more money than the rest of the world has available to lend to it by the end of next year. This is not just public sector (Government) debt, this is the combined debt of all levels of government plus business and individuals.

So, the solution to petrol prices in the US is primarily economic rather than an oil supply and demand problem. The sorts of economic reforms that have happened in Britain, Australia, New Zealand and many European countries will need to be instigated, and it will be painful. Subsidies must go, tariffs must be dismantled, and inefficient industries must be left to die. Government budgets must also go into surplus to pay back Government debt, which means (primarily) less spenidng on the military. When this happens, productivity will rise and debt will start to fall. This will enable the value of the dollar to recover.

Most of the world measures petrol in litres, and I think a US gallon is much smaller than an imperial gallon, something like three and a half litres compared to an imperial gallon at around four and a half litres. So given there are two sizes of gallons, it's really, really confusing. My $1.40 per litre is about $5.20 per US gallon, and then you have to compare like with like such as average incomes per country and buying power with those incomes. The US is middle-ranked in the developed world, which means that the economic standard of living in some developed countries is higher, and in some other countries it is lower.