Gas prices - Has it changed your driving habits?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thorn, May 2, 2006.

1. Thorn

Gold Member

Has the outrageous increase in the price of gas changed the way you drive in any way? :yell

2. pussycat69

Gold Member

Yea,with a lot more road rage.

3. Thorn

Gold Member

It hasn't really changed my driving much. I'm a typical lead foot guy with the gas pedal and now after pushing it to the floor I sometimes think, "Wonder what that cost me?"

4. RedMatrix

RedMatrix Banned

I tend to run all my errands at night, when it's cooler, and my engine doesn't run as hot... and my a/c doesn't have to be that high.

5. Kisses

Kisses New Member

I never liked driving in the first place, so I try to never drive ;) The most I drive is the 10ish miles to see my boyfriend on the weekends. I try to walk to work but sometimes I drive the .3 miles to work. (Yeah I live that close and still drive sometimes ;) ) The gas prices give me more of a reason to hate driving.

6. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

When we go away for a weekend, I try to calculate how much it is going to cost us (room, meals, entertainment, etc). Now, I also take into consideration how much gas is going to cost as well. We own an SUV, and filling the tank is upwards of $60 + these days.

7. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

And the law of demand kicks in ... I think we should start a price war to try and bring the prices down. Too bad so many people are too dumb to do it.

8. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

When I started driving gas was 26 cents to 30 cents per gallon. Then stations would sometimes have "gas wars" and lower the price to below 20 cents/gallon and give every customer some kind of premium -- like a 6-pack of Coke or bag of potatoes. Ahhh, the good old days! Many times us kids would cruise the strip and pull into a station to get a dollars worth of gas. :lol

The quickest way we as individuals can lower the price is to use less gasoline. That should work, and if not, at least we'd be lowering our dependency on it. High oil prices drive up the cost of everything else too. It costs more to get groceries to the super market, more to deliver a letter, more to manufacture a new car, etc., etc.

Yeah, Thorn. I think I drive a little less when the price is high, but not much less. My wife and I like to travel with our 5th wheel camper, and even pulling it with a diesel we'll only get about 10 miles/gallon. The high price of gas makes us think twice about taking the camper instead of driving her car (25 miles per gallon) and staying in hotels. Hotels are usually cheaper than the extra fuel costs.

The tourism departments in Colorado and Wyoming have been targeting their advertising this year to "regional markets" due to the high gas prices. Instead of trying to pull vacationers from the high density populations of the east and west coasts, they're aiming at people from adjoining states and the midwest.

9. Mari

Mari Member

We don't own a car. Something going on with gas prices? :)

10. Thorn

Gold Member

Must be nice! I guess if the public transportation is suitable you don't need a car. When we go DC and NYC we can't believe how easy it is to get around without a car. But it ain't so down here where I live.

Is that a pic of you in your avy?

11. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

I'm lucky enough to have a second car for far trips this summer because one of them is good on gas. Last summer, I wasn't so lucky. I was stuck with one of the other. The one I hate that's good on gas, or the car I loooove that drinks gas like crazy.

Driving a car with a big gas guzzling v8 and having a foot that likes to hear the exhaust tone doesn't help to keep the gas in the tank, but I love that car. I don't take it very far this right now. I'm sure it's going to get worse when the prices continue to rise even higher. I still take it around locally and dive like I normally do. I do baby that car though, but it still is a thirsty beast even when driving it like an 80 year old would.

12. Mari

Mari Member

It's true--we appreciate how easy it is to get around in DC, and how close everything is in our downtown neighborhood anyway. But we also know that this summer when we and our friends pile into a car to go to the beach, each person's share of the gas will cost more.

Yes. Here is more of it:

Attached Files:

13. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Mari, you should post that in our picture thread. :)

14. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Ohhh what is it?

15. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

My car gets pretty good mileage... bf and i take it instead of his S10 when we drive... and I ride my bike to work and school (when its nice enough... its rained the last week straight)

he sells cars though and he's still trying to convince me that I should get a dif one from his dealership... even better mileage and its a little more spacious inside (he's over 6 foot and thinks my car is too small for him to fit into)

16. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

'89 Ford Mustang GT 5-speed. It's got a fuel injected V8, 302 5-liter engine in it. It's a blast to drive, especially with the top down. :) Maybe I'll toss some pics and more info up in the offtopic section later tonight or something.

17. Thorn

Gold Member

Gas is $1.93 to $1.99 at a few stations near our neighborhood now.

18. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I love how people keep bitching about "big oil profits".

The average profit percentage on a gallon of gas is 8%

The average profit percentage on a brand name polo shirt, skirt, dress, or sportcoat is almost 100%.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

19. Emt

Emt New Member

I buy about 10 gallons of gas a week.

I buy about 2 polo shirts every few years.

I think if you used prescription drugs in place of polo shirts it would make for a more valid argument ;)

-Emt

20. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Nah, when I can't think of something better to put in my pipe and smoke than gasoline or fabric, I'll quit smoking. :lol
    ----------

Thorn, that's great to see. I didn't think the price of gasoline would ever get below $2 again. It's still up there out here. I noticed the other day that the price of diesel was down to $2.47 from a high of about $3.50, and I think gasoline was about $2.35. When we bought our F250 in 2000 diesel was $1.25 and gasoline was about $1.50. We figured the savings in fuel would more than make up for the extra we paid for the diesel engine. Things never seem to work out the way I plan!