from your childhood..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 12barblues, Apr 6, 2012.

1. 12barblues

Gold Member

looking to take a trip to the past here.......what do you have fond memories of as a child? could be a toy , a television show or something you used to do with your family......or a pet...maybe a sport you used to play ......music that was popular when you were a kid...that sorta thing...

2. 12barblues

Gold Member

i'll go first...i remember being about four..there was a little girl that lived on my block..we used to turn our tricycles upside down and spin the wheel with the pedal..while it was spinning we would take and rub a leaf on the spinning tire and say we were making ice cream......

i have no idea why tho....lol.

3. 12barblues

Gold Member

i'll just keep going because im bored tonight....

i can remember my dad bringing home the first doors album......on reel to reel tape......yup, i'm old.

4. Splendid_Thoughts

Gold Member

I remember our family holidays - the 4 of us kids in tha back of the station wagon with the dog as well (we had a dickey seat so we were all wearing seatbelts...).

I also remember the dog farting and all of us almost dying from the smell...gasping for air and scrambling to get the windows down. :D

5. 12barblues

Gold Member

travelling.....yep....i remember being about 12, and getting to take two weeks off from school to travel across the country to go to a drag race with my dad, who was chasing an AHRA national championship in the mid 1970's....got to visit the gateway arch in St Louis.....but most importantly, i got outta school for two weeks to go to a drag race...lol

6. Splendid_Thoughts

Gold Member

Our trips usually involved towing a glider trailer as dad used to compete all over the country....and holy crap Australia is a big country!! ::eek

7. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Refer to 'things that make you feel old' thread lol.

8. 12barblues

Gold Member

thanks for the reference but thats not quite what i was looking for. not things that make us feel old, but fond memories of childhood experiences or things that you just havent thought about in a long time...i guess i was looking for those weird little oddities that made up our childhoods...you know, the "stickball in the street" stories...lol...or the time "jonny got the toy soldier stuck in his nose".......

9. Trond

Gold Member

From this thread.

Sadly, I don't remember exactly how I figured it out myself, but I got it mostly from books and documentaries about animals and by asking my mother some pretty direct questions, which she thankfully answered without any bull.

My best childhood friend, on the other hand: I can remember exactly our conversation that suddenly made a lightbulb flash in his head, and it's actually a bit funny thinking about it now, partly because most of my vocabulary came from information about animals (no kidding). I think we were about eight- nine years old.

I noticed that he was a bit worried about something, and when his parents were out in the garden, he asked me:
    -"You know? There is something weird that sometimes happens. I was watching TV yesterday, and this woman on TV took her clothes off. I mean ALL OF IT! And the weird thing? My pee-wee got all big and hard! And it's happened before too! Um...do you think that's weird?"
    -"I know! It's the same with animals, you know? When they want to make baby animals. They're in heat, and they want to mate. The male has to put the pee-wee inside the female, so it gets really hard."
    -"WHAT? But I have never done that with anyone!"
    -"I know. I wonder if our bodies THINK that we're going to mate, you know, because of the naked woman on TV. It sort of gets ready for it."

Thankfully, he connected the dots, so when he got a baby (22 years later), I took part of the credit.

What I think is very interesting is that my friend didn't have the slightest clue as to how any of this worked (not sure, but his parents may have told him some bullshit story), and he actually was worried that it was some kind of medical condition. Nevertheless, his body (and mine) needed no explanation: it reacted "appropriately" to the naked ladies . I hadn't figured it all out: I thought that the "mating" was mostly for making babies, and that if you otherwise wanted to have a nice time with a woman, you would both get naked and touch and kiss and...that's it! (this is where movies normally cut the scene) Looked great to me.

10. mikeh

mikeh New Member

Camping holidays in Wales with my and my Uncle's family, that involved a game only the kids played called cow pat. We'd find a field on a hill with cows crazing, line up and run down it as fast as possible jumping on the solid cow pats and dodging the soft ones. Not easy at pace and very messy but for some strange reason great fun.

Obviously this game was kept secret from the adults and the mess cleaned up in a river or put down to an accident.

11. igor

Gold Member

When I was 5 (in 1945) I got an electric train for Christmas. It was a Lionel set with the Commodore Vanderbuilt steam engine (pre WW2). I don't know how many dozens/hundreds of hours I spent playing with that train. I still have it and it is still in excellent shape.

12. 12barblues

Gold Member

wow...how cool is that...
    i had someone give me an old train when i was probably 7 or 8...the old style track with three rails on it....countless hours out in the garage with that thing! if i remember right the smokestack actually blew smoke....

13. Essene

Gold Member

I had a pet newt when I lived in Texas. At the time I was approximately 5. I loved that little guy (as much as a five year old can love an amphibious animal). I would catch flies and feet them to both him and my venus fly trap. I fed him, aptly (but also uninspired) named Newt, meat at times too. He loved hot dogs cut up in to small pieces. He didn't mind that the chase/hunt was gone.

Any ways, one day I came in from catching various bugs (since my mom hated it when I would go into the fridge to collect various hot-dog-related foodstuffs) and he wasn't moving. It wasn't a big deal because he often slept until I opened the top of his aquarium; then he'd go bonkers. When I opened it, he didn't move. I put all of the insects I found for him on a paper towel. I reached in and picked him up. He was listless and limp. His body, favoring gravity and inertia, slumped over my two fingers as I lifted him from his aquarium. He was dead (not even small breaths were being taken.) So I did what I thought was best. I took a wire hanger, stripped off the coating on two sides after I cut one with pliers. I placed him on the tile, and inserted one of the prongs into the electrical outlet. It was a dumb thing to do; but the brilliance of a 5 year old wanting to use electricity to bring something dead back to life was astounding (even to myself now). His body jumped a little bit, and the lights dimmed. It was sort of hot for 20 or so seconds. Obviously I know it was dangerous. I threw a switch.

He was still dead. So I got mad at him. I took his dead body into the bathroom and threw him in the toilet. Then I flushed it. It looked like he was waving to me as he went down the descending spiral. I was immediately overwhelmed with melancholy. I got a knife and sliced it across two of my fingers. The pain was instant, gratifying, and soothing. But the blood scared me. I began flinging my fingers back and forth to stop the numb feeling. I wanted pain; not numbness. But it didn't help. There was my blood over the mirror, floor, ceiling, myself, my clothes, etc. I got punished. My parents thought I shocked him to death, flushed him, then cut myself to make it seem like he bit me and I accidentally reacted out of anger.

It is a fond moment because after that I stopped wanting to be a cop and wanted to go into medicine.

14. Trond

Gold Member

Very interesting story, Essene. Kinda sad and emotional, but I still had to chuckle at the newt named Newt :lol

15. Essene

Gold Member

I laugh at it too.

16. Mittimer

Gold Member

I had a major moment and actually broke down last night super late and called my mom crying telling her I wanted to be a child again. I found that netflix had Richard Scarry's "Busy Town" which is something I watched OVER and OVER and OVER again on VHS when I was little. I realized that it came out in 1994...That was almost 20 years ago.

I sat for hours on my bed last night mesmerized by the educational cartoon I watched as a child with memories flooding back to me that I hadn't thought about in more years then I can remember.

#16 Mittimer, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  17. Trond

Gold Member

It's even more scary to think that Mittimer is seemingly sending us posts from a time machine :phat

18. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

:lol:lol:lol

19. Mittimer

Gold Member

Oops, 1994! Shush you guys. :p
    I edited it to say the proper year now. lol

20. thunderseed

Gold Member

my childhood was fucked, errrr... i mean I guess i had some good times on the farm. I miss the farm. Country girl at heart i guess. Never much cared for the actual farm part, but i loved the forests and the wilderness, explored those woods for hours back then!