Free Speech?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FlirtyChick, Nov 7, 2008.

1. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

2. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Shewa was right and anywhere alese I tink she should betyt able to say whatever shea wants. Shscoll s are differrent, espeically tat that age.

3. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Come on in the bar, baby. I have some special coffee for you :phat I have never seen Mr. Thorn this bad. Whats up?

4. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Can't you use the spell check???:ugh

As for the title of the post.....yes, you are "told" that America has so called free speech.
    But only as long as the Government agrees with it...and they can take it away any time they like....:brow

5. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

I can now, but not when I was that drunk :p

What I said up there was that things are different in schools, especially at that age.

6. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

*SIGH* How well I know that! That is why I posted this as yet another example that we are about as free as a gallon of gas...;)

7. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

They certainly are, but the child in question and her mother were not upset. It is one thing to sexually molest, harass, or threaten a child. But to tell a truth, or voice an opinion as an educator? Come on! If every teacher I had got called on the carpet for being opinionated and having ideals I would have never gotten an education. Why, oh why can't we Americans worry about important issues rather than insignificant items such as this that cause no harm. We, the people, have bigger fish to fry!

No rant intended against you, Ninja *hugs* FC is in debate mode and has no one to debate with!

8. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

Aww, I came too late to debate with FC :( Come back and we can debate whatever you want. I'm currently in the mood to debate against democrats about wanting to give handouts to GM for their own stupidity for making cars that are illegal in almost every country because of poor emissions.

I think war should stay out of the classroom at young ages. Remember, the right to free speech is in no way absolute. You can't yell fire in a theatre and you can't force people to listen to opinions. Opinions can be voiced, I'm a strong believer in that, and those who don't want to hear the opinion can walk away.

In a classroom, the student is in 5th grade and in no way capable of debating the teacher (in high school that would be different,) nor can she walk away. She's stuck in the class. The teacher was right that McCain would support a 100 years war. McCain said so himself. But some restraint from the teacher would be nice. If his father was over there for a long time, he would come back in a body bag, that's what was implied by the teacher, at least in my opinion.

9. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

I am here, and I am in the mood to debate about almost everything about democrats, republicans, and politicians in general.

As for war, I had to explain it to my six year old because she saw a life size standup poster in a drug store, complete with collection cup attached, of a totally burned soldier asking for help for the troops. Do you know how hard it is to start with terrorism in six year old terms, and explain that? I think WAR should be discussed in the classroom beginning as early as possible with the appropriate age-level curriculum. War is a huge element of history, as well as a part of current events, and shielding children from the real world leads to ignorance. I shelter my child from many horrors, but she hears and see things, and it is my job to sate her on her level regarding these subject.

A fifth grader is capable of debate, and intelligent thought. Kids are very aware of what is going on in our world. I teach that age every Sunday. They know about drugs, sex, politics, the war, they have opinions on politics. We have a worldly and savvy group of young americans in our country today. God please let them grow up to make a real change in the administration of our nation.

Perhaps the teacher was a little harsh, but she stated in the article that her comments were taken and edited out of context. Perhaps if we knew the text of the entire conversation we could talk more about it than just what we know. We all know how the media sensationalizes things. I think it is commendable for teachers to be real in a very real world way. Especially with children at the fifth/sixth grade level. Most importantly, no one has the right to tell her what she can and cannot say. Again, the child in question and the parent were not alarmed. For all we know, the teacher knew this child could handle the truth, or the teacher's version of it. For all the wuss kids that went crying home to mommy, well I say they need to buck up and the parents need to get them prepared for the real world.

Your turn! Please, I need intellectual stimulation!

10. Adonis47

Adonis47 New Member

In this community, it is hard to keep war out of the schools. This is the home of the largest military installation in the world and the hardest working division in the U.S. Military. War is something that we live with and something that we have grown up around. So whereas a discussion on war may seem a little out of place in some schools to a lot of people, here it is most important to discuss it because the parents of many of the children in the schools here are on the forefront of it. If they aren't encouraged to discuss it, how will they be encouraged to deal with it pragmatically?

11. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Now this is an intelligent answer!

12. Adonis47

Adonis47 New Member

Why thank you. I like to fancy myself an intelligent person from time to time.

13. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Well, we live in a big military state, all but navy is here. And our national guard reservists have been deployed numerous times as well. Your comment was correct.

14. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

I don't want to debate what can and can't be said in a school, I'm in a blah kinda mood right now. Sorry.

I hate depression :(

15. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Oh, what is wrong, honey? I am way blah, so don't feel bad.

16. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

Job hunting still.

17. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Sorry, hun. It is just not a good time to get into the job market now. I have a job, and have been working for years, but I remember when it was tough starting out. Don't get discouraged, just keep trying. Take what you can get until you get what you want. It will happen, eventually. Try to keep your spirits up. I know it is hard.

and I am not a Ninja, so I can give you big HUGS!!!!!

18. college_girl

college_girl New Member

There's a difference between free speech and bullying a child. Let's be honest, that's a horrible thing to say to a 10-year-old child. In a school, the teachers must work to make the environment as safe for children as possible.

19. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Ok, I am bored, so I shall continue, especially since my friends are here! :)

Actual interview with the teacher, the child, and the parent involved: This is a great discussion, involving an apology: http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/3921913/

I tried to find the YouTube clip that caused the convtroversy, but it has been removed from YT for violation of policy. Imagine that....

Now, it seems that most people do not agree with me. See the poll results:

Do you agree with the teacher's approach?
    During a discussion last spring of the upcoming election, teacher Diatha Harris told one of her fifth-graders that her father would be deployed overseas for years because the family supported John McCain for president. Was that the right thing to do?

Option Votes Percent:

I see no problem with it. It's never too early to get children to understand politics and political fallout. 51 5%

No. Talking about politics is one thing, but expressing support or disdain for particular candidates is inappropriate in the classroom. 883 78%

No. The teacher should have never broached the subject with fifth-graders, especially when it could have upset some in the classroom. 193 17%