Fossils and rocks ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by awakened, Feb 26, 2011.

1. awakened

awakened New Member

This is one of my hobbies. i dont know much about it, but I was going to do thru some of my favorite fossils i have found on our land and wondered if anyone else is into this ????
    AKA fossill hunter

2. dukefan

dukefan New Member

Not as much into it, as much as sorta thrown into it. I do the qa side of a qa/qc plan covering the rock quarries and sandpits for DOT in North Carolina. I cover the area along the coast, and I have found tons of shark teeth and such. Funny part is, that most of the ones I've found are thirty-forty miles in off the beach. Just my two cents

3. Trond

Gold Member

Well, Im actually a biologist with paleontology as specialization. I have helped to dig out a few dinosaurs. Nothing spectacular so far, but still. I have also worked on the evolution of mammals and amphibians, and some of those fossils are really spectacular. :)

4. Kermit

Gold Member

I know a little i learned in school. Like the three kinds. I used to have a fish fossil we used as a coaster lol. But it's a pretty cool subject, plenty of books, and makes for an interesting hobby :). But doesn't surprise me, you already leave quite the impression here hehe

5. Meee

Gold Member

I live in a place that's very boring for fossils, but there is quartz that glitters and it's very pretty. We also find arrow heads and very old buttons made from bone that might have been used by slaves. I think you might like getting a book about identifying fossils. That could be the next thing that you do with your fossils now that you have found them. I'm a little jealous!

6. MyIcarus

MyIcarus New Member

I'm a gemologist and love my rocks! I was the weird little kid that was busy looking through stones and pebbles on the playground and would come home with pockets full of shiney things. lol Today I make jewelry with some of my finds (now I go to quarries, gemshows or gemology societies to get my shiney's though lol) or add them to my personal collection. Wow@Trond btw, I would LOVE to be in that position...would feel like a kid in a candy store. ;)