For the love of grandmas everywhere

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandwich, Dec 6, 2012.

1. sandwich

Gold Member

I lost my grandma recently, and life won't be the same without her. Most of my favorite memories involve her, and it seems that some of her traits skipped my mom and showed up in me. I was hoping that maybe some of you would share some of the things you love about your grandmas.

She told me once that I am her favorite grandchild. I didn't want to believe it, but I am pretty sure it's true.

She was a phenomenal piano player...here come the tears. Oh well. She had my mom take piano lessons but I guess that didn't turn out so well. She tried to get my brothers interested, and that didn't work either, so it was going to be me or no one, and thankfully for both of us, it was me. We used to sit and play and sing, and it didn't matter if anyone was listening to us.

She taught me all the girly girl things I love like how to give myself a manicure and which lip gloss to pick. Because of her, I can paint and sew and knit, and I am the baker that I am because of all the patient hours she spent teaching me.

She and I have similar personalities, and she was quite the giver. I hope that I can honor her with my giving. She even loved football and cycling, as do I. The only things that I love to do that she wasn't into are camping and hiking. And conversely, she was quite the gardener, and I am known in my family as having a black thumb.

She was the type of person who could see the good or potential in someone when others could not, and you dared not be a complainer or whiner in front of her because she was all about gratitude and "it could always be worse". I like to think I get my half full way of looking at things from her. Her answer to the little setbacks in life was FIDO...forget it and drive on. No one could forgive like she could.

Now tell me what you love about your grandma(s)...I will check back...maybe not daily just yet...still not feeling up to par.

2. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

I lost my grandmother 2 years ago. She raised me after my parents' divorce when I was three until my teens. She tried to teach me to knit but couldn't slow down enough to show me how to do even one stitch, so she supplied the books and stuff so I could teach myself.

She suffered from social phobia and/or agoraphobia for a large part of my childhood so we had a pretty secluded life but she would venture out for the sake of my calisthenics and to walk us to school.

The important thing she taught me was to look at both sides of every argument and her favourite saying when my cousin and I played up was "Two wrongs don't make a right."

During my adult years, she was my main confidante and since her death, I have not been able to replace her.

3. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

Sorry for your loss. I only ever had one grandparent and she passed when I was 13. My mom was raised by aunt so my relationship with her is alittle like a grandmother. But it it is not the same. Grandmothers are indeed very special.

4. suzy7

Gold Member

Oh Sandwich, I am so sorry for your loss.
    Very true, grandmas are so enriching to young kids,
    we could and do depend on our Grannies,
    I am lucky, I have one Grandma still in Canada, loves her
    poker and a few sips of Rye, lol.
    I wish I could give you a big hug .
    Suzy xxx

5. sandwich

Gold Member

I'm so glad she was there for you growing up! I have a friend who was raised by her grandma because her parents were both too messed up to care for her. Thanks for sharing.

6. sandwich

Gold Member

Thank you. It's great you had your aunt even though it's not exactly the same.

7. sandwich

Gold Member

Thanks Suzy. A poker playing grandma...sounds fun!

8. too_thick

too_thick Member

Lost my grandma 7 years ago

9. peakguy

peakguy New Member

I am sorry for your loss. My grandmas both had quite an impact on me. My dad's mother raised two sons by herself during the depression and both of them were successful educators. She ended up remarrying and she and gramps were married for almost 60 years and lived into their 90s. I come from a large family and as the oldest each summer I would spend a couple months living with my grandparents to give my mom a break I guess. They lived in a resort town which I had the run of and I have some very wonderful memories of those days.
    My mom's mother was a stay at home mom and was one of the funniest people I have ever know. She had a quick sharp wit and would never allow any of us to get too full of ourselves. She was also a great whistler, probably the best I have ever heard and she could whistle these long classical pieces from heart, which always impressed me.
    They are both gone now, but I planted a tree on our place after each of them died and we call them the grama trees; sometimes when I am working outside in that part of the place I talk out loud to them and tell them how much I miss them and what is going on with me.

10. RideNaked2

Gold Member

I lost my Great Grandma when I was in my teens. I spent a great deal of time with her when I was in my very early years. I lost my Mom's Mom when I was in my early 20's. I spent about 4 months with her before I was married. I wouldn't say we were best friends but she was very very good to me. She lived in Florida so I only got to see her once a year unless my cousin was going down to spend a week or 10 days with her then I got to tag along.
    My Father's mother......that is another story all together. She is still living. I am 46, she is 90. She lives in a nursing home now but the time that I have spent with her. She is the one that taught me to do all the "crafty" things. She was an artist as well as an educator. She taught my Father in a one room school house when he was growing up. Later in life she became solely an art teacher until she retired. We mainly spent summers with here and my Grandpa (until he passed). As I got older and in my teens, I didn't spend quite so much time with her as I worked (they lived in another state), and wanted to spend time with my friends. After I got married, I longed to spend more time with her. Just before I got divorced, she moved to the same town as me so my children spent way more time with her. She also has taught my girls how to do the "crafty" things too. Why is it that Grandma's always seem to be able to deal with kids better than parents? I know that I deal with my Granddaughter much better than I ever dealt with my own children...must be the age...? Anyway, when Grandma started getting on in age and we all felt that it was not safe for her to live alone anymore, I moved in with her for about 4 months. I will never regret that time with her. It's very difficult to go visit her now in the nursing home. She has lost the life in her eyes. The hardest part...she asked me to act as her power of atty for health care, so I make all her health care decisions. That is a huge pack of bricks on my back. I search for the right thing to do with every decision that has to be made. I try always to put myself in her head and think what she would want. It will be hard when she is gone but in many ways it feels that she already is. It is wonderful when I see my Granddaughter with her...her Great Great Grandma. We have 5 generations...doesn't happen very often!

I'm sorry to all those that have lost that very special Grandma. It is hard to loose anyone but especially a Grandma.