For Facebook Users On Here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CaliMike, Aug 14, 2011.

1. CaliMike

CaliMike Member

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

Doesn't give your cell phone number and it wont be made public. I use my google voice number so it doesn't matter regardless.

3. CosmicEye

Gold Member

I hate the young Turks. Im pretty sure its a choice. You can leave your number at the bottom of your homepage or not.

4. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Yep you don't have to put your phone number on your profile and you can choose to have it visible to friends only.

Not sure what they mean about mobile facebook as I don't use it on my ancient mobile phone.

5. CaliMike

CaliMike Member

From my understanding, anybody that has used the Facebook application on their phone automatically gives that contact information to Facebook. As described, acquaintances may have access to your phone number, and while that might not be a huge deal because only your friends can see it (providing you set that information to Friends Only) I can certainly understand how people would like the option to give that information out on an individual basis.

BTW, any plans to enable BBCode for YouTube videos?

6. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

That's not very friendly for slow internet connections. Just hyperlink the video people don't mind clicking on links to watch a video.

7. CosmicEye

Gold Member

^ didnt know that. I myself am not a FB user and no I am not the only one! But still, if you weant a number just ask. I think its more appropriate to keep that private unless it was a business or something. There are stalkers out there..

8. CaliMike

CaliMike Member

I don't think they were referring to the Facebook profile itself. They're referring to users specifically that use the Facebook application on the iPhone. It may apply to Android as well. I am not sure. By following their directions, I was actually able to see the phone numbers as reported.

9. CosmicEye

Gold Member

oh yeah thats what I meant to say. Why would they require your # if you are using from a cell. Whats the difference

10. CaliMike

CaliMike Member

I'm thinking the cell phone number would be used to let you use two-step verification for passwords, but I could be wrong. As you probably know, it took Facebook a while to provide people with somewhat decent privacy controls. I don't think TYT is just hating on Facebook for the sake of it.

soapbox

For clarification purposes, I will tell you that I do not agree with everything they say. Don't want you to get that impression. When considering most other news outlets though, their intentions seem to be in the right place. They have been known to attack both political parties, which is one of the main reasons I like them. Personally, I don't adhere to any particular party because I'm really not satisfied with any particular politician at this point. The political environment has been depressing all around lately.

/soapbox