Fitness Advice Needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I know some of you are real fitness experts and I was wondering if could pick your brains. Since moving to Sweden my lifestyle has become more sedentary, and I've gotten a bit out of shape. One of my New Year's Resolutions was to get back into shape and lose weight. I know I don't look it but I actually weigh around 165 pounds and would like to lose 30 of those.

So so any of you fitness experts have any recommendations for exercises to help slim down and tone the butt, stomach, and thighs? Are there any workout routines you find particularly effective?

Thanks.

#1 Puss_in_boots, Feb 9, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  2. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Me too Puss

How tall are you....we probably weigh around the same.....!!

I joined a gym but it was so fecking boring...do you like dancing or walking at all?

3. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Hi! I'm Governor Scharzenegger, und ahm here to pump you up!! Just kidding and that doesn't sound right. Um, uh...! Seriously, no doubt all our SF jocks (athletes and health fiends) will be in touch, however, by way of background, I have been participating in a University of Virginia program for diabetics (after I had a severe infection in my leg, I managed to develop type 2 diabetes because I was being very inactive). It's experimental but what they do is basically make sure that people are eating correctly and getting proper exercise - well "DUH"! - which keeps blood sugar at proper levels. Anyway, basically, what anybody should do, say the Registered Dieticians who work with people in the program, is make darn sure that you are eating a balanced diet and of course, that goes for EVERYBODY, not just diabetics. Taking a daily multivitamin - such as those formulated for women in your case - is a very good idea. Make sure that you are getting enough fiber, getting your fruits and veggies, if youre not a vegetarian, getting some protein such as via eating meats in proper proportions, getting some calcium via milk and dairy products and (ahem - I plead the Fifth Amendment) not getting too many sweets such as, my worst vice, brownies. Then, there is the matter of calorie limitation. For most healthy people, if you eat no more than around 1,200 to 1,500 calories per day (in a well balanced diet) and get some activity, you WILL lose weight. As for the activity, it can be a number of things however, at the UVA ICAN program, they are big on WALKING - preferably, assuming one has no mobility problems, around a mile a day or more if you can do it. Oddly enough, walking is one of the very BEST exercises you can do either on a track, on a sidewalk or other safe outdoor place, in a gym, on a treadmill, etc. Swimming, various cardiovascular machines are good too. Dancing like pirouette is good (especially if you can WATCH - that'd get my heart pumping, ha, ha). It's important to start out easy and work your way up to longer times, more brisk walking, etc. It would also be a very good idea to check with a physician, have them listen to your heart and lungs, check your blood pressure, etc. and tell them that you are interested in losing weight and getting more exercise. Oh, and using dumbells (no, I am not talking about the guys on SF - the hand weights) doing various exercise motions such as lifting them overhead and so forth can be a good addition to the walking. By the way, you can exercise and tone muscles but the idea of "spot reducing" is a myth. Anyway, you might be interested in checking out http://www.healthsystems.virginia.edu/Internet/ican/weight.cfm which has various information which can help you get started. And I am sure that you will probably get a truck load of information from others who post here after me. However, no matter what your size, you are a "HOT BABE", Puss! A beautiful woman! And most guys want women to have some meat on their bones! Just be careful and don't strain anything! ;>

4. HerHubby

Gold Member

5. HerHubby

Gold Member

Well darn thing wont let me edit. The word in the Internet address should be healthsystem (singluar not plural).

6. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

Try naked thighmaster. But take pictures.:lol

7. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I'm 5'5''. My BMI is slightly (one point) in the overweight range.

8. HerHubby

Gold Member

YEAH!!! We want PICTURES of Puss exercising!! ;>

9. HerHubby

Gold Member

From the pictures I have seen of you (WOOOOOOOHOOOO!!! HOOOWL!!! ;>) you have never seemed overweight. I doubt that it would take much for you to easily achieve your goal. The Virginia RDs tell me that they just don't want people to starve themselves or "yo-yo" (go up and down a lot in weight. They say that while one wants to try to get one's weight within certain parameters, it is better for one to maintain a weight instead of going up and down frequently like some people do. And they say that good nutrition is crucial for anybody. Actually, I feel better since I have started taking some vitamins and eating better although "brownies" are still my vice! Of course, maybe you could do like Ryan and get exercise by taking up one of the martial arts! Get ya a black belt! YEAH!!! ;>

10. HardRocker

Gold Member

11. CrazySexGirl

CrazySexGirl New Member

you need a good diet first and then work your way into more of a workout routine hun.
    I have been doing it for years and without a good diet it doesnt matter.

diet + cardio = you Happy ;)

I have been doing cardio & dieting for years, check for yourself

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=image&file=3167a3.jpg
    http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=image&file=43882_12_.jpg
    http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=image&file=824Photo_102106_003.JPG
    http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=image&file=Yummybaby.jpg

12. sexysixpack

sexysixpack New Member

Losing weight is involves three things... diet, heart and muscle

Diet is the most important of all of these. Perhaps what will make your time losing weight easiest is if you can make the lifestyle change of moving from 2 or 3 large meals a day to eating 4, 5, or even 6 small meals a day. By "meal" in that sense I mean just a piece of fruit, a bunch of nuts, or some veggies. The reason this aids weight loss so tremendously because it prevents your body's metabolism from fluctuating, in essence, keeping it running at a high level throughout the day and continually burning extra calories. Its also EXTREMELY important to eat breakfast, and if you can manage the multi-meal-day system its important to eat larger meals at the begining of the day, and ending with something small. Eating big big dinners is one of the worst possible things to do, as a majority of those calories consumed turn to fat while we sleep (although the process is much much more complicated then that). Its also important not to starve yourself. If youre feeling ravenously hungry... something is wrong. Eat another cup of brocolli if you're hungry, or any veggie for that matter... you'll never get fat off of veggies!

For cardio, i personally believe its important to do something you love. Find some method of moving that is enjoyable to you, or at the very least, one you don't loathe. Dancing is great, so is running, swimming, or elipticle machines. The important part is to do whatever cardio you're chosing for about 30 minutes a day or more if you can manage it (but dont hurt yourself!!!). this is because youre body starts using energy from soley fat cells after 20 minutes of continuous work... although again the system is far more complicated then this.

The final portion is building muscle. I cannot stress this enough as this is the segment largely ignored by most, which causes weight loss to be far more difficult then it should be!! Building muscle, by lifting weights, is extremely important. This is because for (approx) every 3 pounds of muscle you build you burn an extra 100 calories at rest!! Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you should go out and start lifting weights like a body builder, I just mean find some very light weights and do some low impact lifting for about 20 minutes 3 times a week to help build up some major muscle groups. It will benifit you immensly, not only in terms of weight loss, but it will also help to tone your body and make you look that much better :)

Phew.... sorry... that was extremely long winded... I do know a lot about this stuff though so if you ever have any questions please, feel free to ask!!!

13. sexysixpack

sexysixpack New Member

What I mentioned but forgot to emphasize was the fact that... losing weight should not have to be a major chore. Its important to find a diet that is tasty and satisfying, but healthy. Its important to find an exercise routine that you find enjoyable, not one that becomes yet more 'work' you have to add to your daily life. Doing these things are central because it becomes extremely difficult to stay on or make these lifestyle changes if you can't do what you enjoy. Have fun with it!!!!

14. CrazySexGirl

CrazySexGirl New Member

some girls like extremely long winded guys :brow

15. pirouette

Gold Member

16. pirouette

Gold Member

And now that I have looked back and read my posts I'm thinking I should elaborate a bit. I'm not the type of person that can change my entire diet and keep it that way. Instead, I made a few small sacrafices every 2 months. I gave up sugar in my coffee. A few months later I decreased my average portion by a third at every meal.
    That was 110 pounds ago. My point is, you should only make big dietary changes if you think you can stick to it the rest of your life. Make the sacrifices small and give your body time to adjust. The human metabolism likes maintaining a specific weight. Small, slow changes really have helped my body adjust. For me, big crash diets and manic exercise programs do not work. I cannot maintain them for long. So slow and steady is the only way it works for me.
    That was long winded! :eyes

17. sexysixpack

sexysixpack New Member

Sounds like wonderful advice pirouette... huge lifestyle changes are nearly impossible which is why crash diets rarely work. Just do whatever feels best, Puss.

PS: CSG: I'm glad theres some who like long winded guys ;) I'd let you make me pant any day! :D

18. sexysixpack

sexysixpack New Member

PPS: Those above pics are FAR too hot. Holy Shit!

*begins panting* ;)

19. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

Hey, why don't they have these at MY local fitness store?!!?:yell

Um............. Where do I sign up? :lol

20. HerHubby

Gold Member

OH! My ribs hurt from laughing after seeing the "Crotch Master 6000!!!" Ha, ha! Oh that is so GREAT!! Lotta ladies would lose a LOT of weight with that one!!!