First Jobs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Essene, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Essene

Gold Member

I was just out of high school and my dad told me about a job offer as an expediter at a local aerospace and defense technology place. I shrugged it off because I hate filling out paper work. After he suggested that I apply a couple of times I did so. I didn't expect to hear back from them. Within a month I got a call back. After four interviews I landed the job. It was great pay for someone who had just graduated from high school. BUT I think my job was one of those "we don't really need it but hey the position has been around since the company was founded so might as well just leave it as it is."

The job was multifaceted and I eventually got promoted to productions control planning sans a degree... but the other aspect of that job was to check in one of the project accounting programs we used which was almost always used alongside a serialization database. Department heads knew I was savvy with the system as I always asked the IT Department and my supervisors if I could have access to various parts of the system. For some reason Financial (arrival dates, buy dates, billing, etc), Engineering (BOMs, re-work, etc), and Production Control (issues, de-issues, WIP, etc) were all separate entities within this service. People would come to me to find out when a buy date was, or the latest price change on a BOM list or even a spec change on a sub assembly. But that aspect of my job wasn't needed. Any one of those department heads could have found a way to change the limitations they had. They wouldn't let other departments access the various departmental areas of the system because they were afraid that they would go in there and, for example, change program budgets or delete a transaction that was made without ME/QC approval. :shrugs: seems like they needed a read-only fail safe.

What, praytell, was your first job?

2. shashtzoh

I guess what you mean is the first adult job we had but I remember being a chummer on a boat out of one of the ports in the state where we lived when I was still in junior high school during the summer and fall when I went to stay with my grandma. Im glad I got an education and improved my lot and dont do that anymore but it was fun for me back then. I still love going out in boats but I still get sea sick. lol

3. luvbug

Gold Member

My very first job was working in a factory....chicken processing plant.
    I done it all.... Rehung... Opened... Pulled fat... Sucked out kidneys.... You name it I done it.
    Nothing exciting but it was a job.

Amature and boobjob like this.
  4. Gearhead

Gold Member

I dug graves. I worked landscaping at a cemetery

Amature, boobjob and alwaystry like this.
  5. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

My first job was working in the family business. We sold and serviced outdoor power equipment and manufactured custom counter tops. The business just closed a few months ago after 67 years. I now have to find my second job at the age of 53.

6. alwaystry

Jeeeez ,lol very first job I had was an icecream shop , and then pulling parts off cars at a junkyard when I was 16. My first real job was construction ,and it stayed that way for about 15 years. Wow , a little lame after essene

7. Silverfox

Gold Member

First job, when I was sixteen, was at an amusement park. I worked in the warehouse where all the "quality" novelty items were stored. I worked nights and filled the orders that each little shops placed. I made $2.10 an hour. That was a dime more an hour than the park workers made. Big shot!

HotForHoney likes this.
  8. Mittimer

Gold Member

I ran the photo lab at a retail chain. I actually miss doing it. It was so much fun.

boobjob likes this.
  9. wetness1

Gold Member

Did you ever see any funky pics??

HotForHoney likes this.
  10. Mittimer

Gold Member

All the time. Had to report images a few times. It's shocking what some people bring you to develop..

Amature and boobjob like this.
  11. chikinlil

chikinlil Active Member

still at my 1st job lol been here since 81 bought the bussiness about 5 years ago im a lock and safe tech and no im not that old ok maybe i am i started here when i was like 13 lol after school then after graduation full time and ive had alott of night jobs wearhouse stuff mostly i do miss the printing co i worked for at night

12. Silverfox

Gold Member

I'd forgotten about that. I worked at a Venture Store (anyone remember those) and though I didn't develope pictures a friend did. Some guy would drop of dozens of rolls of film at a time.

13. Essene

Gold Member

Nah I mean any first substantial job. If we're going by jobs where I didn't receive a W-whatever then I sold candy/ice cream/sodas to labormen as my first job.

I have a natural appeal to blue collar jobs. I don't know why. All of this schooling and all I want to do is work in a warehouse or fix tires. Being a chummer sounds delightful.

Sounds fun. The Winchester boys could make you a petty penny

Nothing lame. I have an ex girlfriend (a girl that's a friend, not an SO) who was madly in love with a fellow who worked construction. He was naturally built due to the physical rigors of his job. When I knew her, I was always a bit jealous of him.

So what you're saying is you've ALWAYS been the admin type who drops the anchor on rowdy people? That's what I get from that. Mitt the ball buster.

Stuff like this really gets me going. My ideal job is second or third shift. Lower visibility (which completely clashes with my nature) but you pretty much man your own ships.

14. Mittimer

Gold Member

I guess you could say that lol. I only reported images that showed abuse or illegal activities.

15. ginger

Gold Member

If I become "rowdy" Mitt's will you discipline me :)

16. Mittimer

Gold Member

Of course! ;)

HotForHoney likes this.
  17. ginger

Gold Member

Oh good roll on 2014 (evil grin) lol

18. KatieSweet

KatieSweet New Member

I'm still at my first job as a receptionist (began 3 years ago), but I've had additional jobs here and there for additional income. I definitely think it's great for people to become used to working with guests and answering phones. My communication skills are pretty good and being a helpful office assistant for such a long time has gotten me some great bosses who can be strong references once I apply to more substantial positions :)

boobjob likes this.
  19. Silverfox

Gold Member

Good office experience is invaluable. Phone skills and face to face communication skills are very marketable.

You could go several directions, from a small company, professional office to large corporate businesses. Three years is a good deal of time to have.

Good for you.

KatieSweet likes this.
  20. Mikey22

Gold Member

Lawn and landscapeing company. $4.25 hr. Mowing,Weedeating and edgeing. The boss allways bitched about over time, The boss was a real tightwad. I think I brought home $200.00 twice In the 2 years I worked for him.

Amature likes this.