fifty shades of grey

Discussion in 'Erotic Literature' started by justaniceguy, Sep 2, 2012.

1. justaniceguy

justaniceguy Member

just wanted to know what the majority of you woman think of this book, that is if you have read it....My wife is in the midst of reading it and she seems to a bit turned on by this

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

Simple answer is that I think it's trash. It reads like a ten year old wrote it.

3. OverSinged

Gold Member

Not a woman, but the reason I despise it is because books such as it are the reason a lot of authors dislike fanfiction writers.

if you didn't know, it started life as a Twilight fapfic.

4. Anotherday

Gold Member

I can say this, just about every woman I know loves it.

5. discolemonaide

its perfect training smut for the average soccer mom...nothing too crazy just nipple and ass play.

6. cbrmale

Gold Member

Fifty Shades of Grey isn't that well written but it's written first-person present tense which is very unusual, and to an extent brave. The present tense gives it the strength of here and now, which is probably why it's proven to be so popular. Normally novels are written first person or third person past tense.

He licked my nipples and I felt my arousal building.
    He licks my nipples and my arousal bulds.

See the difference?

I'm not sure about why s&m erotica is so popular with women. This is s&m light but still s&m. Indeed, I haven't seen an erotic book for women that isn't s&m but I'm sure there must be some around somewhere.

7. Silkycat

Silkycat New Member

I've heard alot about this book, but have never read it and still don't feel the need to =p. I suspect my sexual interests go a bit further than the book does anyway, and if it's so that this is something people read to get an "introduction" into s&m, I don't think I need it.

8. OverSinged

Gold Member

Actually, first person view is quite common in fan fiction.

9. 12barblues

Gold Member

Women are into 50 shades because most women are two people......

10. BitchN

BitchN New Member

I read 50 shades....I liked it....did it get me hot and bothered..No. But I'm a fan of Joey W. Hill....

I think the reason it is so popular is because the guy was into heavy, heavy BDSM...(the book stayed on the lighter side)....but he changed for the love of a good women.....

have to hand it to the author....whether you liked the book or not....you still bought it....she made millions...

11. Mittimer

Gold Member

I didn't buy it, borrowed it from my silly twitard friends who thought it was such an amazing book that I just HAD TO READ IT LIKE NOW. -_-

12. EarthboundEnigma

Gold Member

I was turned off the book because I found out it was originally a twilight fan-fiction. That just can't lead to good literature. :/

#12 EarthboundEnigma, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  13. lbushwalker

Gold Member

And that is the sexiest part :lol

14. LilBAM

Gold Member

I didn't read the book, but a friend of mine showed me a series of posts on blogspot, where the blogger read the entire book, and ripped it apart, chapter by chapter, sometimes page by page. The book was torn apart for its awful writing, poor grammar, supposed misrepresentation of the BDSM community, and just plain baffling character development. That's all I needed to read, I think. The only good thing that came out of it was Team Four Star having Jon St. John(the voice of Duke Nukem) read an excerpt from the book at a convention. That was hilarious...I'm pretty sure I stumbled upon it when Texas Red linked it somewhere on these forums.

15. OverSinged

Gold Member

Yeah, I saw that one too, though the one where Gilbert Gottfreid read it just might be better.

16. sandwich

Gold Member

If she's turned on by it, and then you end up being turned on by the fact that she is into it, that could be pretty hot.

Personally, I picked up an erotic novel once and read a couple of pages of it, and let's just say I should have used it for kindling. It was too poetic, boring, and too descriptive about things that didn't matter. All that added up to an unnatural timing as the events unfolded. The short stories that people write on other sites have the same problem.

I read about five stories, and only one was a tiny bit enticing, and that is because it had all to do with my biggest turn on, and the premise was fantastic. But it still had all the above issues. I won't be reading it.

If someone would write something really raw and in my face I might give it the time of day. It would have to be a very very short story.

17. cbrmale

Gold Member

First person is very common in many genres of fiction, and I don't like the normal first person past tense. But I have never seen a present tense novel which was my point, and my example if you chose to read it.

My wife has this book and I may read it to see if it's any good or not.

18. BitchN

BitchN New Member

If you do read it let me know how you liked it.....it isn't the best written book....but I thought the story line was good.....

19. OverSinged

Gold Member

Bah, I've been horrible with words lately. I meant first person present* isn't exactly uncommon in fanfiction.

I'll eventually say what I'm trying to say.

20. xzxw

xzxw New Member

Keep in mind that its basically a 'fap-fic' to put it crudely. Written with one hand...for obvious reasons.