Favorite ethnic foods

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Firecracker, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Firecracker

Firecracker New Member

Mine are hummus, Mexican food such as tacos, burritos, etc, Italian such as spaghetti, linguine, pizza, etc.. What are some of your favorite ethnic foods? I love trying foods from other countries!

2. Dreama

Gold Member

I love hummus, falafel, couscous and Tabbouleh. Those are what I would call out of the ordinary, ethnic (as in most restaurants don't serve Americanized versions). But other than that, I like pretty much anything Italian, Mexican, Chinese, etc.

3. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

My grandma was born in China and came over here with her family when she was 10, and so I grew up eating authentic chinese food. I love it! Hehe...and also, because of that, I eat things that some people might find "disgusting", lol. Ox Tail, tripe, the tentacley part (if thats a real word, lol) of the squid, etc. I think the weirdest thing I ever tried was sea cucumber. It was disgusting though.

As for other ethnic foods, I love mexican food in general. I'm rather picky about itallian though. I don't consider spaghetti itallian anymore, lol. I love various curries too...Indian, Asian, Mole (mexican curry)...

4. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Authentic Italian, and one of my best friends is Italian, so I am lucky!

Thai, Sushi, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Japanese.

Carribbean. Those people can cook!!!!

LLJ, good for you with the crazy foods. I was in Scotland for a time for work and could not make myself eat Haggus! I just drank lots of scotch there, and had the best calamari on the planet! Nor could I eat goat in Bonaire.

And tamales! Yummy!

5. Poky

Poky Banned

Love authentic Itlian, Korean and German foods..I have tried food from all over from my travels when I was younger.. England, Greece, Moracco, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Cyprus, Spain, Italy, Korea, Portugal, Land of the Swiss, Mexico and of course Germany since that is where I am originally from...Lots of good food

6. Wckd_Beauty

Wckd_Beauty New Member

My question is what is 'ethnic food'...never new Chinese food was considered ethnic food..

Anyway, I love Caribbean food and Brazilian & Cuban food. I love Curry...jamaican..thai..indian ....mmmm :D

aside from those my actual favorite food is Thai..love love love Thai & Japanese food, but I don't consider those 'ethnic foods'.

7. Katprr

Katprr New Member

I love German of course, since that is where I am from. Thai food is awesome along with Cuban, and Italian. Yum Yum Yum!!

8. Firecracker

Firecracker New Member

I also love Thai food, Chinese food, Lebanese food and I did have spagel(spelling?) in a German restaurant.

9. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

The definition of Ethnic is: Pertaining to or characteristic of a people, esp. a group (ethnic group) sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.

Therefore, any food that is derived from a people or culture, i.e. Italian, Chinese, German, Polynesian is ethnic. One could say that "Southern" food is ethnic. Also, Chicago hot dogs could be ethnic, as well as Philly Cheesesteak, California's White Pizza, as well as barbecue from Texas, which is different from barbecue from Kansas City, etc. The point is that anything that is not native to your group, region, etc. is considered ethnic. Thai and Japanese foods are ethnic, because the dishes are derived from and native to the particular cultures that developed them. There is lots of Americanization (Puss, is that a word?) of ethnic foods here, but you can find authentic restaurants that serve ethnic cuisine in most larger cities in the US.

10. igor

Gold Member

You haven't eaten a real burger until you have had one at the Billygoat Tavern in Chicago.
    Talk about cholesterol city!:lol

11. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Sounds Yummy! I loooove burgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See, like your hot dogs with cukes on them, a Billygoat burger is ETHNIC!

12. Wckd_Beauty

Wckd_Beauty New Member

My question is...what is Ethnic food because alot of the posts I saw in here don't even come close to the category itself.

13. Poky

Poky Banned

Wckd_Beauty, this is the definition posted by FC. Hope that helps

14. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

So what do you define as the category?

15. Wckd_Beauty

Wckd_Beauty New Member

Woah you changed your avi, i like it, but umm ethnic foods i define them as foods that are african/native american culture-based like Caribbean food and Spanish foods, basically.

16. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

I disagree with that classification. Chinese, Itallian, German, et. al. are all "ethnicities" as well, and thus cultural dishes would still fall under the ethnic food category. If you think about it, all food is "ethnic food". Are some more regional than others? Sure! But that doesnt mean that other food isnt ethnic. Jerk Chicken - Jamaican, Tamales - Mexican, Sushi - Japanese, etc. Just beause some of these foods have made it into mainstream american culture doesnt make them any less "ethnic".

Edit: I just noticed FC said pretty much what i just said a few posts earlier...including a dictionary quote, lol. Thats what I get for not reading all the posts inbetween!

#16 ccjcool, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  17. Wckd_Beauty

Wckd_Beauty New Member

That's fine that you disagree...i just think it's lame how my grocery store divides the foods up in a section with ethnic foods and it's mostly Caribbean and Spanish food there...and african american/spanish people tend to get labeled as ethnic people more than others, which i understand and don't agree with labels in the first place. I'd rather it be said 'whats your favorite food' instead of 'what's your favorite ethnic food' because it limits and labels cultures based on past negative occurrences throughout histories, if you really think about it. So yeah..no problem with the OP's post, just my opinion on the idea of 'ethnic food'.

18. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I like a nice spice curry now and then, and I also enjoy eating and cooking Mexican food. I also learned to appreciate Japanese food when I lived in Japan a few years ago. Sushi and sashimi (the idea that it's raw) can take some getting used to, but a nice piece of fresh raw salmon dipped in some wasabi and soy sauce is very good indeed. Goodness, this is making my mouth water. :drool

You have to be careful in some of those sushi bars, though. After a few too many cups of sake your friends might decide to order you something really different, such as salmon sperm sushi (and not tell you what it really is).

19. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

My drinking buddy is skipping my posts?LOL. You cannot argue with Websters!!! (Great Minds Think Alike) ;)

#19 FlirtyChick, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  20. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

All cultures have ethnic food, so it pretty much applies to any culture of which you are not native. For Europeans, American food is ethnic, because some foods are native, i.e. developed in the U.S. Every country in the world has ethnic food, because each country has a different culture. What FC2 meant was what food not native to you do you love? Grocery stores in the US market "non-american" ingredients under the label "ethnic" to avoid being politically incorrect by using labels such as Spanish, Asian, etc.