Family members?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hot Wheels, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

This time of the year got me thinking.....
    Do you still speak to family members,or are there some you dont talk to ???
    Maybe you dont speak to the oldies, or a brother, or annoying sister?
    Dislike your brother/sister in law or step parent?
    Maybe your from a happy family and speak to all family:)

If theres perhaps someone you dont speak to, how long has it been and who?

I have family members who dont talk....and its a very saddening to see them in separate rooms at gatherings... especially Xmas:ugh

#1 Hot Wheels, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. gicu

gicu New Member

I have the same. It’s quite common. Geography is huge in that we loose touch. But know many who have tried but just don’t see life the same as their siblings. My wife always said...
    Would I or could I be a friend of this person if they were not my sister or brother?
    For me if they are more of a negative than a positive after several efforts then it’s time to decide if its still worth it.

3. igor

Gold Member

I have always been close to all family members even if it is years between contacts.
    We may not have a lot in common but are still a family.

4. Mittimer

Gold Member

I have a very large immediate family. 3 siblings and myself. All together there are 18 of us including nieces and nephews. I talk to all of them.

I have an extensive extended family. My mother has 8 siblings. My father only had 2, one of which has passed on and the other refuses to procreate. I talk to my aunt on my dads side...maybe twice a year but only because she travels a lot for work. I haven't talked to nearly all (minus one aunt and two cousins) of my family on my mothers side since her parents passed away.

Grandma was the glue that held that family together and the pieces crumbled after she passed on. It's been the better part of a decade since I've spoken to any of them except for the aforementioned and the one time I ran into one in public, they didn't know who I was and thought I was just a weird stranger.

I am very lucky though that I have absolutely amazing in-laws that I love and who love me. Both the Mr and I get along very very well with our in-laws and in fact, spend a lot of time with both. So, that's a plus!

5. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

I rarely speak to my natural mother by choice, although I will be civil. I don't even know what state my half brother is living in these days. We don't have a problem with each other, just we've never been close. I went 20 years with minimum contact with Dad and my stepmother but now we talk 3 times a week.

For years my daughter and I have celebrated Christmas with friends and I'm happy this way.

6. Gecko

Gecko New Member

I have one sister who disowned the family many years ago. She has since moved from her last known address. Perhaps in the future she will make contact again. If not, well, it was her choice to leave the family, although it makes me sad to see my children ask about cousins on my side of the family and have to tell them that we don't know how to get a hold of them.

7. AtkCCC

Gold Member

My side of the family is small, I only have 1 sister who is 10 years younger. We really grew up as seperate only children so don't talk much. Hate to say it but the only thing we have in common is we had the same parents. We do chat every so often like holidays. Wifey comes from a large family and communicates all the time.

8. 12barblues

Gold Member

I was pretty close to my dad for the first 30years of my life....but then we parted ways....we are civil but we don't talk much. I see him every couple years or so. I just learned that we are very different people. When my son was born I learned what it meant to be a parent. And that's when our problems started. I am still close to his brother though. ( my uncle) ...he's more of a father figure than my dad is. I still turn to him for fatherly advice occasionally ....

9. Benni

Benni Member

I totally agree with you/your wife! There are many family members I don't see anymore because of all the negativity. I have siblings who live very close and they annoy the hell out of me, but I can't keep away from them because we all take turns as caregivers to my elderly, disabled mother. Once she's gone, I will not go near them again.

10. AGFUNK

Gold Member

I don't really talk to much of my family just because we live states away and are always busy. I talk to my mom a couple of times a week and rarely talk to my brother since he's in the teenager stage. I talk to my step dad about once a month or so and try to call my grandma at least once a month though I should call more often.

I haven't spoken to my biological father since my senior year of highschool and that was to see if he was going to my graduation or not. That was over four years ago. I hate him anyway so it doesn't matter.

11. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

I don't talk to my folks because they didn't attend my wedding and ever since I was a teen we never seen eye to eye anyway...and I only talk to 2 siblings out of 6...

I'm very close with my in-laws an my wifes side of the family however. Go figure...