Falling in love

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by Flame, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Flame

Flame New Member

Okay, a happier subject this time!

This question is for all who are madly in love: How soon after meeting him or her did you know that you were in love? What did it feel like? Was it sudden or happened gradually? How did you know for sure that you were in love? How did it compare with any other times in your life that you had been in love?

For me, it was almost a year after we met. We were sitting talking one day, not about anything in particular, but I just had such an incredible rush of happiness and I suddenly thought to myself, "I love you." I had never felt that before. It was amazing. I had thought that I had been in love with previous boyfriends, but the feeling this time was so much more intense in every way. With exes I had thought, "This is wonderful, I must be in love. Surely." But this time I didn't need to convince myself; I knew I was. :)

2. Trond

Gold Member

I once read an online article (by a woman) discussing some differences between men and women in this respect. Women often take longer to fall in love, and almost "consider if he is worth falling in love with" somehow. Not my words mind you :)

If this is generally true (big IF), then I think most men definitely fall in love more abruptly (also mentioned in the article). From the article, and my own experiences, it seems that "love at first sight" is more common among men than women. Who would have thought?

Do you think I am on to something here, or is it all nonsense? :lol

3. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Happened just like that for me too and only recently; lived a whole year with her built on pure high octane lust then one evening with no particular catalyst (that I am aware of) got this warm fuzzy feeling which stayed all night through sleep and next morning could barely comprehend the depth of change in my feelings.
    Wanted to jump up and tell the whole wide world!

4. nyxx

nyxx New Member

interesting. i've only been with my girlfriend since december 2010, but the thought does cross my mind. its not the same feeling I got with other girls. for example, when I broke up with my most recent ex, we were together for almost 2 years but I really didn't feel at a loss. It was like I knew it would happen eventually.

With my current girlfriend, its totally different. Maybe its just the fact that the relationship is new and fresh still. Eitherway, I really feel something special with her. There are these little, subtle moments that make me wonder. I won't go into detail, but I feel very different about me, us, and life. Not a change, just a new perspective I guess. Bah, its hard to describe an unquantifiable emotion. It's just this thing that... happened. Alright, I'm mind warping myself trying to think of words.

5. bigperv

bigperv New Member

I'm a male, and I'd confirm what Trond is talking about.

The farthest I ever fell in love, the realization that I was love scared me. It came very quickly too. I'd been seeing the same person at a cafe almost every day throughout the week, and I on days they didn't show up I missed them. Thats when I knew.

6. andretti

andretti New Member

Hey, wait a minute! This is a sex forum! What do you think you're doing, talking about love?

;^) . . . just kidding....

Joking aside, I had to think about this question; it's a really good one.

I'd say I can fall into love quickly, but I stay in love gradually. Does that make sense? In the early stages of a relationship, it's hard to distinguish love from feelings like infatuation, lust, excitement, romance, and puppy love. However, as the relationship matures, feelings of a deeper, more genuine love come across as a strong contented feeling. I feel it when I wake up early in the morning, not just glad to be with someone, but glad to be with her.

It's very hard to explain, even in my own mind...

7. gyfo

gyfo New Member

Incidentally all the long term relationships I've been in(2), have all started off with friendship and learning to love the person. I am still in my second one.

I have found that all the times I've thought "love at first sight" have ended up in heartache for me. Because more often than not its one sided. And its all just chemistry and physical attraction. Which, taking nothing away from it, was incredible while it lasted. Honeymoon stage and lovestruck. Lots of wild sex.. You get my drift. But there was never any substance in the relationship when all the fun stuff and excitement wore off.

Just my experience and opinion.

Guy