Exercize

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bighiker2003, Apr 4, 2006.

1. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Do you get enough?

I will go first.

I really think so, But my belly doesn't think so.
    I go to the local College gym and use app 15 machines and walk maybe 2 miles a day,
    My name is no accident as I love to hike. Mostly the North Woods Trail in Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin,
    Have been to the Appalachian Trail (AT)
    But was worn out from trout fishing in the Tennessee mountain streams
    that I couldn't do it, And the section I picked was only 27 miles.

2. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I've hiked/backpacked over 75 miles of different stretches of the AT, Backpacked in the salt river area of Arizona, hiked in the Smokey mountains (while it was snowing),

I'm 6' even and 140 pounds ... I'm trying to put on the muscle ... I'm a scrawny/wirey kinda guy.

3. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I don't excercise enough. I will more when the weather gets better. Currently I train at the Do Jang 4-5 hours a week, I also hike another 6 hours a week when the weather permits, there's a local mountain that is less then 10 minutes away.

I would like to get a gym membership since the 5 pound weights at home and the 2 machines I have aren't enough, I can't go to the gym right now but will soon. I would also like to pratice Tae Kwon Do another 5 hours a week at home more and at the studio more, this will happen soon also. Once the weather gets better would like to start doing High Intensity Interval Training too, as well as 20 minutes of jogging in the morning when I wake up.

I'm pretty fit except for a bit of gut, no six pack for some reason. I'm 6'4" and 185ish.

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Call me crazy but I really want to take up kick boxing...

5. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Then take it, find a studio in your area and take it. I'm not sure what kind of prices are over in Viginia, but I pay about $75 a month for unlimited classes, there are about 5 a day every day and one on saturday.

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

If I wasn't in school and had money I would ;)

7. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Does your school have a program?

8. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

alas no.... :(

9. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Is it a small school? Usually Universities have programs set up for students. What about a community center, is there one in your area?

10. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I walk (45 min - 60 min) @ about 3.8 MPH. Try to do it every morning. That's why i am up at 5 every day. Usually I use our treadmill, but occassionally, I walk our neighborhood, which is very hilly.

Then, I work a set of muscle groups, alternating:
    Abs & buttocks ... legs & calves ... when my work is not too intense, I will work my arm muscles, as well ( but I usually get plenty of that through my occupation.)

I am not into sports, I used to swim competitively when I was younger. I enjoy doing laps, but I am not a member of a pool, and our hot tub won't accomodate me in that area. LOL

I don't look like Brittney or Jessica - but I feel good about myself for a woman of my age. ;)

11. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Again - I am surprised by what I envisioned your body stature to be. I somehow had it in my head that you were rather short. :shrug

And I don't see how you can be 6'4", 185 lbs, and have a gut! Sounds pretty trim to me.

:rose

12. Thorn

Gold Member

I do too many beer-lifts at night and don't feel good enough to exercise in the AM. I do get a fair work out on the job. Ladders, rolling walls & ceilings, etc. I need to stop drinking and get consistent with an exercise routine.

13. blondboy

blondboy New Member

For years while still working, I was up most mornings at 4:10 for 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of free weights. (I have a pretty good gym in the basement: about 1500 lbs of all kinds of free weights--including two olympic sets--treadmill, recumbent bike, squat rack, bench, cardioglide).

Have you heard the old cliche about how busy people make more time than others? Well, since retiring two years ago, I have walked the golf course a lot more, so my good exercise habits have broken down. But, I am starting to get back with the basement routine because my knees are shot and walking is a non-player. Looks like it will mostly be biking and cardioglide for cardio from now on. Love to swim though, have historically swimmed a lot, and hope to get into a swim club soon.

Have got to return to my old consistency because I have to lose a lot of weight due to bad knees.

14. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Glad to someone that likes to backpack and hike.
    I mostely just hike now but still intend to do the section of the AT
    from the top of the smokies in NC to Irwin Tenn.
    I may even do from the French Broad River to Irwin. That should be about 80
    miles. Have the AT maps right behind me but I dont have time to look it
    up right now.

15. eandvk

eandvk Member

Ive been working out for a lotta years now. My home has a weight room in the basement, where I have a bench press, lat pull down machine, all types of free weights, roman chair and an elliptical bike/trainer. Im 5;9 165lbs. with big pecs and arms for my weight. I turned 40 last summer so I dont max out with the weights any longer, just maintaining the physique that I have. I do at least 3-4 muscle groups 6 days a week with one day off for rest...but I never work out the same group two days in a row. When younger I was pro/am athlete so staying in shape was a neccesity and now after all these years of fitness I just cant let my body go to being a blob....yes..vain but I like the fact that I look and more importantly feel good.

16. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

It's from when I weighed more, it won't go away. But I haven't really tried.

17. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Private college, 1100 students ... and the town near us is so redneck they'd think it was some kind of sex act.

18. haolcatx

haolcatx New Member

I work alot and have to consolidate my work out session. So it has to be compact in time and portable.

I use an ab-slide instead of doing situps. I do 51 on most days (17 in three different directions, front and two front obliques).

I do dips using a dip bar (old coffee table stand made of metal) to work my triceps (muscles used in punching/palm strikes for martial arts )

I skip rope and do push-ups. I don't kickbox recreationally anymore (too old) but I shadow box for cardio.

I stretch twice a week for 30 minutes a session. As one gets older it has more and more health benefits over cardio.

The one muscle group martial arts people work that applies to a sex forum is the hip flexors. I do side leg raises from standing for this. (footnote for hip flexor)
    http://www.fitstep.com/Advanced/Anatomy/Hip_flexors.htm

19. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

20. haolcatx

haolcatx New Member

Ryan when I was 17-about 24ish I was doing 500 situps twice a week when sparring. I would put my footmits on to protect my feet hook them under a railing and do sit-ups. That by itself including rest time and alternating with pushups took 60 minutes plus. The way I was doing situps was not touching my back to the ground nor my chest to my knees (to keep constant pressure) and going at a slow pace to keep tension on my abs. So it was more of a methodic pace as opposed to a fast one. I did I, if I remember correctly sets of 50 which meant there was 10 sets which seem to take forever factoring in rest time.

I bought an ab slide when I was, I think 29-31ish. Somewhere in there and found I got the same burn from 20 of them as I did for 200 situps. I still keep a slow pace to keep tension on and the enlongating of my body hits the two lower sets of muscles that I couldn't get with situps nearly as well.

Just like gravity stretches the fact that I am sliding towards the ground gives my muscles more resistance so each slide has an increased effect. I am not strong enough to do it from standing (I have seen others do it from standing and that is impressive) but instead go from on my knees going three directions. 45 right, 45 left, and straight ahead.

If you already have the slide on a situp day (assuming you alternate days) substitute and see how your body reacts to it. The biggest benefit of it is the time conservation. I went from a one hour exercise to a 10-15 minute one. Although I don't know if I could really do 500 situps today. Maybe 1/2 of that......

Does the gazelle help with the hip flexors at all? Can you slide down to a lower position and stay there for any period of time? Also can you do back rising kicks from it? I have never seen something like that before and am curious what you do on it?