Eating clean-----recipe ideas

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CLE32793, Feb 18, 2016.

1. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Hi, so you guys know E had a heart attack and double by-pass about 6 weeks ago and while I've been making great efforts to control the amount of sodium going into our bodies, it is not easy when everything is full of sodium. We do not eat prepackaged meals and try to eat fresh foods but who can afford that 100% of the time, so I'm hoping to get some of you guys to share some of your favorite healthy meals with us.
    We stay away from seafood well, because it's not safe anymore and he only likes it fried. :( Broiled is yummy for me but like I said, it's no longer safe due to the oceans being full of waste and the radiation.
    So, please, if you have something healthy your family loves on a regular basis, I ask that you share.

2. HotForHoney

Gold Member

I make a lentil salad with feta and Greek olives, lemon juice/evoo/vinegar.

My moms friend gave us a recipe when her husband had a heart attack - ground turkey, yolk free egg noodles, frozen mixed peppers, green olives and fat free Italian salad dressing.

If you want recipes/measurements let me know.

Otherwise, try experimenting with different seasonings to add variety.

Candela, Englishman and CLE32793 like this.
  3. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Sure, sounds really yum, what's it called? I buy him all the fresh spices I can find v/s bottled Mrs. Dash types stuff. He might like the feta and olives, I'm not a fan myself. :) thanks for sharing

4. afunk13

Gold Member

Olives also have a lot of sodium in them. Buy frozen veggies instead of canned if you can't afford fresh. Frozen is just as good without the added sodium in canned. Chicken is good but can also be injected with sodium. I like the amish chicken but can be pricey. Perdue is also good along with harvest land. I try to buy in bulk when on sale and use coupons. You can still buy fish, a lot of it is farmed nowadays anyway. Frozen fish is generally cheaper.

Lots of good recipes here cleaneatingmag.com

CLE32793 likes this.
  5. Candela

Verified Gold Member

I'm so sorry about E..Glad he is ok!...My prayers for the both of you. xo

CLE32793 likes this.
  6. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Thank you Candela

7. Dubber

Gold Member

Sorry to hear about E...
    I have been reading a lot about the use of the Instapot for clean cooking...there are tons of recipes out there

CLE32793 likes this.
  8. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Thank you, we were just talking about cooking in a crock pot, thanks for the info :)

Candela likes this.
  9. Candela

Verified Gold Member

I love my crockpot!,I also have a pressure cooker!...You can make some wonderful meals with the both of them.

CLE32793 likes this.
  10. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Eating clean? That's easy! Wash your hands and dishes before you eat. :p

But, seriously, the best thing you can do is research research research. Research what foods are high in the vitamins/nutrients you specifically need/want. Research the best ways to cook them to get the most out of them. Research how much you personally need to be taking in of all those various things.

Nutrition is so dependant on your personal body chemistry and stuff like that. It's hard to give general advice.

Also don't necessarily trust the Nutrition Facts/ingredients label. Those can totally mislead you if you neglect to pay attention to what is defined as a "serving."

CLE32793 likes this.
  11. backcheck64

Gold Member

My wife buys everything low or no added sodium. Some sodium is necessary for a healthy diet, but we don't add any while cooking or at the table. We use our salsa on quite a few meals....but I doubt you or your husband would like it....Habanero and Ghost peppers, along with jalapeno, hot hatch, serrano, tabasco, cayenne, chili, ancho, and what ever else may be in season. It's a little spicy for most. We do a lot of chicken and we try do use locally sourced meats. My wife does fish, but US farmed fish, and never fried, baked with various sauces used on top. We do a lot of salads, my wife makes her own balsamic vinegrette dressing, I use bottled dressing. Exercise is also essential. We've had some warmer weather and Sat night we walked 6 miles, 3.5 Sunday. Can't wait for extended warm weather to get the bikes back on the road.

12. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Just an FYI, E says my 'hot meter' is broken and had a friend at work make salsa to 'light my ass on fire', lol, didn't happen. I do love some hot stuff! He stopped letting me be the sampler as to if it is hot enough because he couldn't eat it when it was. My sis has a bottle of flaming hot sauce that has this tiny little spoon attached, I wanted to try it so I put about a teaspoon on a piece of tortilla chip and tried it, I didn't realize the tiny ass spoon was supposed to be enough for an entire pot of chili, lmao, I survived, a little uncomfortable, but I lived, it was actually pretty good.
    Balsamic vinaigrette is my favorite and I have not made one that I like so I just use olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Would you mind sharing the recipe? Research has made me nervous of farmed fish and unfortunately he only likes sea food fried, I on the other hand prefer broiled. I have increased the amount of chicken/turkey we are eating and we actually made a roast of sorts with chicken breast, golden potatoes, green beans and onions (only had 2 carrots left so maybe next time) and we baked it with real garlic and a small amount of unsalted butter. It was good enough that I plan to do it again this week. I found some ground bison I plan to get as well. We had lamb over the weekend, it's not my favorite but I can eat it. I do wish we had a butcher closer to our home.

We have discussed buying bikes when we move. I'm not riding in the city, hell no. I'm rearranging a room in the house today so I can do my yoga while he is on the elliptical (we are expecting rain for three freaking days). I don't foresee a trip to the park this week.

Thanks!

13. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Thanks, I've learned a lot about reading labels these last five years. Our society is a big fat liar as well. We were discussing serving sized the other day over our one hang-up we just can't give up, ice cream (only the real stuff, no whey or artificial crap in my ice cream please). That's not a lot of ice cream, so I went out an bought smaller bowls so it's not so bad now. :p

He has a very small list of 'acceptable' fruits and even shorted list of 'acceptable' veggies. It's a struggle to get him to eat them with out covering them in cheese sauce or butter, or hell, both. He's adjusting pretty well, I'm very proud of him.

Thanks for the input. :D

14. backcheck64

Gold Member

We got some designer oils and vinegar at Verdi Valley Oil Co. Chili something, Pineapple, etc. She mixes those for various tastes and variety. Apparently they've got a pepper now that's hotter than the Ghost pepper, gotta try it. What little beef I eat, hamburger is 92% lean, and rinsed after browning and no steak is over 5oz. We go through a TON of garlic. We buy it in bulk from Sam's.

Whatever you do, do not buy a bike from Wally world or Target. Get a decent bike. I'm partial to Fuji, frames fit me well. My wife likes Specialized. Son had a Giant, but now rides Fuji. Daughter likes her Fuji. Trek also makes a good bike. A bike that fits and works properly is much nicer to ride and you'll ride more.

CLE32793 likes this.
  15. Sweetlysad

Verified Gold Member

CLE32793 likes this.
  16. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Holy wow, there are some really good looking recipies on there. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try the Mushroom Stroganoff.

Sweetlysad likes this.
  17. Sweetlysad

Verified Gold Member

Also follow him on Facebook for more ideas. He has a documentary on Netflix :)

#17 Sweetlysad, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    CLE32793 likes this.