Drinking and personality.

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by johnnyangel694u, Aug 21, 2011.

1. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

I was listening to some people talking one night at work and thought it would be an interesting discussion. One of them was saying that their boyfriend goes freaky, nasty jealous when he gets drinking too much. If someone is drinking or drunk, do you think their real personality is brought out or they become someone else?

2. Trond

Gold Member

That's a good question. The Romans liked to say "In vino veritas" (roughly "the truth is in the wine"), but I think there is some personality change as well. As far as alcohol mixed with drugs go, Ozzy Osbourne allegedly could not believe it when he got out of his buzz, and found that he had been arrested for attempting to murder his wife (they're still married today).

3. luvbug

Gold Member

Ive always heard when you are drinking the truth comes out.

I dont drink....maybe I need to.lol

4. Flame

Flame New Member

It probably depends how drunk you get!

The right amount of alcohol will cause a person to say and do things that would normally be held back so yes, in a manner, the real personality will then come out. But after too much alcohol I think that the drink takes over and it's no longer the person's real personality.

5. backcheck64

Gold Member

I think alcohol lowers inhibitions and what is really lurking down deep comes to the surface.

6. 33stack

Gold Member

alcohol is a mind altering substance. i doubt many people think that homely beast they wake up next to after a drunken encounter at the local club, is their true desire...lol

7. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Truth Serum!!!

Well, when I drink I tend to say stupid shit, its also hard to lie. My bro is a giant alcoholic and he is a different person when he drinks. I hate it.

8. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Alcohol makes people aggressive and lowers inhibitions. So no, thats not really them.

9. Mittimer

Gold Member

Alcohol makes my husband louder. It calms me down and makes me like jello.

I can't drink anymore due to my medications and he doesn't like to drink without me. I didn't like how I felt so I drank maybe once a year.

10. RideNaked

RideNaked New Member

I'm a cheap drunk, meaning it doesn't take much to get me on down the path. I just get slow, most of the time. If I'm out and about, I like to play pool after doing a couple of shots, as I lose all the tightness, and things just roll. I've got a pretty dry sense of humor, and quips just begin to spew if I'm well lubricated. Too much, and I can begin to twist people's words in humorously weird ways...

T

11. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

I dont drink any alcohol at all because I don't want to lose control over myself.
    I really really dislike when other people are inebriated or drunk. To me they behave "wrong" in a way and it makes me uncomfortable.
    I'd definetly say alcohol affects personality, at least from what I've seen.

12. pbs

pbs
    Gold Member

But, if you were drunk also, their behavior wouldn't seem so wrong. There's nothing worse than being the only person in the room who isn't high. Losing control is a way of letting go, as opposed to being up tight, IMHO of course.

13. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

I feel I should add that I'm not telling anyone not to drink alcohol if they want to. it's all just my personal attitude towards alcohol.

14. coconutpanda

coconutpanda New Member

I think alcohol brings the truth out.. well it definately makes people more honest. I don't know about myself though because I always thought I was straight, but when I'm drunk I fancy women, which is a little confusing, so perhaps its not the case all the time :p

15. 33stack

Gold Member

if u think alcohol brings out the truth, go to a bar and listen to some of the stories guys tell trying to impress women! lol:lol

16. igor

Gold Member

It doesn't make everyone aggressive. Lowers inhibitions - yes. A little will loosen me up just right.

17. PhX_AZ_SWM_1972

PhX_AZ_SWM_1972 New Member

Well, what is a "true personality" anyway? We all act differently around different people.

But I think if you are with someone you know well you are comfortable being yourself around, and are slightly buzzed where your inhibitions are lowered, but not all the way drunk, that is where one would probably be their "truest" self.

18. cook74

Gold Member

In moderation I believe that alcohol can be a social lubricant and therefore some truths may come out as one is more willing to open up. But once one starts drinking in excess then it becomes dangerous for health reasons and for ones' relationship, short or long term.

19. Essene

Gold Member

At the moment I am very drunk. Wine, barbs, beer, and liquor. My mood and character have always been changed by Tequila.

For some it's tequila, and for some it is bourbon. Even so, some face the same with other variants of alcohol.

20. Sigh

Gold Member

From what I've heard and seen, alcohol actually heightens what you were feeling before you started drinking. So when someone's drunk they may seem like a totally different person or an exaggerated version. For example i was feeling a tiny bit sad when I got drunk I ended up crying my eyes out even though I normally don't cry in front of people. Outsiders would think I turned into a different person when really my sadness was exposed and heightened.