Double Standards (THE Rant)

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Mittimer, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Mittimer

Gold Member

So as we all know there has been a thread with a discussion on whats...normal or not with a yearly physical.

For multiple reasons that thread has flat out just pissed me off.

I don't know if the OP is being serious, if that has really happened to him or if he's just another troll that's been lurking around SF. Either way, the responses to that discussion have really rubbed me the wrong way.

Why, please tell me everyone, is there a double standard in play there?

From countless men who have responded you get the general pig headed yet light hearted reply of "oh if that was MY doctor and it was a GIRL they could measure me any time they wanted *WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE*"

Seriously? What the hell?

If this is TRULY happening to this young man, then there is a serious problem. That is sexual abuse! There are laws being broken and a teenager being molested by a trusted official! But we as a community are teaching him "Hey no, if it's a girl it's ok..."

That's not right.

I would really like to know some honest answers here. To the men and women.

Put yourself in the shoes of this situation. Say you were at a doctors office and a doctor who you found attractive was knowingly being out of line with you. Would you not say anything JUST because you found him sexually attractive?

Please, explain yourself if the answer is yes.

2. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

I just re-read the whole thread Mitt.....
    There were 8 replies that you could class as serious answers to it and 4 whom , I would say, were just poking a bit of fun.....
    To be honest, I'd be surprised if there was nobody on here who wouldn't take it that way....
    If...the OP was serious in his concerns.....and in my opinion, it was one of those leading questions purely designed to elict a response,
    then yes, by all means, the doctor was stepping was over the mark by wanting to measure his penis.....and no matter wether it was male or female, the OP shouldn't be complaining about it on here..... the appropriate authorities should be informed.
    I'm sure all the joking comments were meant to be in jest Mittimer, I don't think any would put up with this sort of behavior from a GP.....no matter what they looked like.

#2 Hot Wheels, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. pinoy

pinoy New Member

I guess you're right.

I guess he should do something about that. Maybe confront the doc and ask him/her what it is he/she's doing.

But if for example you 'want' what she's doing, I don't really think that's a big deal. Not unless she's doing it to every man who gets a medical exam, even when he's uncomfortable.

4. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

But the second part only made you look immature......:eyes
    Really......if you went to a doctor with a genuine medical problem, and they, male OR female, put you through this......you wouldn't think something was a just a little bit suspect??

If you really wanted this sort of attention, why wouldn't you just go to a brothel??
    Grow up a bit mate.:ugh

5. pinoy

pinoy New Member

ok, I might have said it the wrong way.
    And it maybe immature, I'm sorry for that.

But all i'm saying is that if you're ok with it, then just let it slip, there's no point in making a big fuss. If you're convinced that it's inappropriate, tell her.

6. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

I was one who doubted the authenticity of the OP's issue. Yes, I agree that if the situation is real it is assault and abuse of power regardless of the gender of the doctor. However, I feel the OP probably has an overactive imagination.

7. Mittimer

Gold Member

Ok, lets drop whether or not the OP is being serious about this, that's not the case at hand.

My whole argument is about double standards.

I actually want to know people answers and WHY they think it's ok to 'let it slip' if it's something they find someone attractive.

If it were the other way around, a male doctor, middle aged, balding, they would confront him and call the cops or take other actions. Female doctor, double d tits, attractive, it would be let go and they would get their phone number.

As far as your comment, wheels about how every joking comment was made in jest, that's fine. But that's still not answering my questions and I would prefer people to speak for themselves on this matter.

8. Falsehope

Falsehope New Member

I read the post mentioned but didn't post a reply simple because to me, ALL medical practioners are supposed to be professional regardless of sex of either the patient or the doctor. No doctor in thier right mind is going to do anything outside of thier respective field. With that being said, if this post was made just to get a response of any kind, then shame on the OP. If it was made in ernest, then I suggest to the OP to report the incident/s to the appropriate authorities..

9. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

Already gave my opinion.

10. Marcpatrick

Marcpatrick New Member

There was actually a South Park episode about this. Kyle went to the police to report a teacher having sexual relations with a pupil. The police were all fired up to go and arrest the offending teacher when at the last minute they were told it was a female teacher and a male pupil.

After that they had a laugh about it, sat back down and rued the fact that they never had a teacher like that at their schools.

While South Park is not everyone's cup of tea it does capture this particular situation quite well. While this is different to the incident mentioned in the post, it does go to show that there is a double-standard.

I think this comes from a sexist view of men and women. Societies are rigged up in such a way that women are supposed to be protected from sexual predators. Men, on the other hand, are usually considered to be sexual initiators and and are strong enough physically to ward off an unwanted advance from a female. Basically what I am trying to say is that in general men don't let sex just happen to them.

Imagine (if you're a girl) that your boyfriend comes back after a night of drinking and clubbing. You see lipstick on his collar and he tells you that a girl 'forced' herself on to him and he couldn't stop her, you would probably very much doubt his version of events and want to slap him.

So, yes these double-standards exist. Society treats men and women very differently and will continue to do so (which is neither a good nor a bad thing).