Do you think global warming is to be partially blamed for irma and maria?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sensless, Sep 22, 2017.

1. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

Do you think global warming is to blame for Irma and Maria? I mean, frequency and strength of hurricanes and typhoons nowadays, in general.

If you do:
    do you think we still can do something about it? Would you do sacrifices for the future of the planet? How far would you be willing to go? Can you put a price tag into what you'd be willing to do? I mean, how much would it probably cost you to do the things you'd do to save the planet?

2. cook74

Gold Member

I think that it is great that people like you have a conscience when it come to world wide issues. I hope you can do amazing things and save this planet.

Edit. Sorry... Just tired and being a sarcastic bitch :oops:

#2 cook74, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  3. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Uhm, excuse me? :p

I don't know know enough about the topic to give an opinion. What I do believe is that even if a third of the population on this planet agreed to do something to improve things, mother nature would still do what it does and we're all along for the ride.

Sorry I missed the salty cook comment :D

Mikey22 and Mr_E like this.
  4. Mr_E

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    If global water temps are rising then, yes storms will get worse.
    That being said, We can't save the planet. Ourselves perhaps, but not the planet. The planet cares less about us than a dog cares about fleas. A nuisance at worst. It has always balanced itself out after reaching climate extremes. If asteroids, volcanoes, previous periods of global warming, shifting of the rotational axis, shift of magnetic poles, and global ice ages haven't destroyed the earth, then there's nothing we can do to destroy it. We may destroy ourselves with the climate we create but the earth will be fine. In fact, the geological record shows other periods global warming that always triggered an ice age.

5. Juniper

Gold Member

I agree but I tend to blame it on Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure....
    Those BASTARDS!!!!

6. Rhaenys

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Who knows. Between deforestation, the years getting hotter, glaciers shrinking, larger storms, and almost 8 billion people dumping various kinds of toxic waste all over the planet 24/7. The planet might still exist, but it will probably become nothing more than a useless wasteland before humanity finally gets wiped out.

CLE32793, whybother and sensless like this.
  7. Juniper

Gold Member

Personally, I think people are hyping the living snot out of shit for political and monetary gains. Did you know that a thousand years ago northern Europe went through a serious heat wave? That lasted for a hundred years or so followed by the Little Ice Age. The little Ice Age didn't start to dissipate until the mid to late 1800's. We look at today and compare it to 10 to 50 years ago because that is all that we really have recorded. The climate is not static. It changes and it will adapt to put itself back on course. That does not mean that we should not be vigilant and not polluting the snot out of it. All things in moderation.

Mikey22 and CLE32793 like this.
  8. DayPlay3

Gold Member

I belive the those hurricanes sould have happened regaurdless.

However, I believe the intensity was amplified by the climate warming.

Of course I wouldn't put it past Trump to use the HAARP system to create destruction to get the focus off of the Russia connection investigation.:p

Then again I also belive in Santa.

Sweetlysad and sensless like this.
  9. sensless

Why do you make assumptions about what I think? Because I ask questions?

I don't think our observations of hurricanes and typhoons go back long enough to assume that what we see now isn't a natural phenomenon. Not denying human influence on global warming, just saying this isn't perhaps an expression of it.

As for efforts to save the planet, I do the opposite. I do my utmost to polute the air, flying to distant destinations as often as I can, simply for pleasure, enjoying sights I know will disappear in my life time. I know my being there is contributing to their destruction and I don't care. If I did, I wouldn't fly anymore, nor drive a car.

I don't think I'm motivated for much to save the planet, since I still buy products coming from far away, disregarding that they need to be shipped here.

10. sensless

Fantastic post!

11. sensless

They can study the climate further back than 100 years. One of the things they do is to take chunks of ice that are ancient, like from Antartica. Then they study the layers and search for elements indicating the weather at the time and things like that.

CLE32793 likes this.
  12. whybother

Gold Member

Financial gain? Seven of the ten largest corporations by revenue are petroleum power or car companies. So who is making the money in this question? I can never understand the effort to discounts liberals as trying out one over financially and politically. If that were the standard. Than we should knocking at the doors of Exxon shell and BP. That's where the money and the political power is.

They influence far more than anyone else. If you are bothered by arguments based on personal financial gain, Why doesn't it bother you that the major opponents of climate change theory are the the biggest promoters of fossil fuel use and richest people in the world?

Sweetlysad and DayPlay3 like this.
  13. Juniper

Gold Member

I never discounted anyone, attacked anyone or called anyone liberal. Do I believe that humans have an affect on the environment, yes. Do we know how much due to all of the other variables involved....probably not. What I tend to see are certain groups fear mongering and trying to scare the living crap out of people. And there are people making large financial and political gains off of people's fears.

To clarify, we don't have hurricane data in the Atlantic going back much over 50 years. That is not a enough imperial data to state that hurricanes are becoming more powerful...it's more of a perception issue based on very short term data.

14. whybother

Gold Member

There is data beyond the last 50 years but it isn't as complete as required. There is plenty of information on storms as far back as 1850.

But data on temperature and ocean levels are much more complete and both support climate change. There is no data to dispute that man has impacted the climate. It is easy to understand how increased temperature affects increased ocean temp affects increased storm intensity and unquestionable that higher ocean levels magnify impact on populated coasts.

And yeah those scientists are all getting rich working as university professors. Woohoo average university professor earns about $60,000. Rex Tillerson is worth $150,000,000.

So who exactly is making large financial gains? The scientists or the fossil fuel executives?

15. sensless

Welcome back, whybother! :)

whybother likes this.
  16. xtacy4

Gold Member

No.

Juniper likes this.
  17. Juniper

Gold Member

Really? We had satellites back then and planes to track and measure the storms? Bull shit...nobody knew about a storm until it hit land or somebody called it in with crappy instruments.

And normal climate change, volcanic activity, cow farts and solar activity do not add into that equation at all?

Sucks for those college professors. I had a few that weren't worth a sh!t. :p

You got a spur up your @ss and I think your avatar says it all. Have a good night.

18. whybother

Gold Member

Lively discussion. Glad you were able to to support your position.

19. Juniper

Gold Member

Sorry about that last part. That last part was a personal attack after too many adult beverages; that was wrong and I apologize. My point still stands though; maybe we should start a new thread correlating Hurricane strength to college professor salaries. :p

20. xtacy4

Gold Member

Doesn't take long to learn that a yes or no answer regarding anything political or religious is the best way to go around here :p Stop arguing, boys. Do we really KNOW who's right?! NO, the answer is no. :) Still love you guys though :D

Juniper likes this.