[Ask a Girl] do women get intimidated by men?

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by madrox0311, Jul 30, 2010.

1. madrox0311

madrox0311 New Member

so i have been told by several girls that i am intimidating and i find it strange because i'm a really nice person by nature. i'm just gonna describe myself so you can get an idea of me.

i'm six foot one and weigh 235 pounds with a wide shouldered muscular build- i guess the best way to describe my body composition is i have a faint visible outline of my abs, but still have a little chub. black hair. hazel eyes. i have a pronounced jawline/bigger jaw but not in a freakish huge Jay Leno kind of way.i workout regularly and work my entire body so i have good lower to upper body proportion. i have a half sleeve tattooed on my right arm, a piece on the right side of my ribs, the right side of my chest, my right shoulder blade, and a collar rocker. i think that's about it for physical attributes.

i spent four years in the marine corps infantry including two tours in iraq and am now in college, so i'm anywhere from 1 to 6 years older than the girls i generally meet and have a good deal more life experience. I am in a fraternity, but the guys in it act like gentlemen and not d-bags. so here are my questions for you ladies:

do women get intimidated by men, and if so, why?
    is there anything about my description that could make you feel intimidated, and if so, what detail and why would it be intimidating?

feel free to post whatever because this whole intimidating women thing is pretty confusing to me so anything might help.

2. HardRocker

Gold Member

It could be something as simple as the natural expression on your face. Being big isn't necessarily intimidating. I'm not big, and I've met up with lots of people both big and small and either can be somewhat intimidating, or totally disarming. Myself, I usually have an intense expression on my face, and once in a while someone will think I'm mad even if I'm completely happy. I have consciously tried to make sure I don't project that when I meet people.

3. north

north New Member

I find myself intimidated by most men, regardless of their build. It's more to do with their personalities. Mind you, I've been known to intimidate a few men in my day, so it balances out :)

4. htoad

htoad Active Member

Expression, as HardRocker mentioned, can make a difference. One of the "turning points" in my life happened during my senior year in high school, after I had made a couple of big plays in a football game that helped our team win. Two females classmate came up to me the next day, at separate times, when I was still "glowing" from the praise, and said "you should smile more. You look very nice when you smile".

You see, I was terrifically shy at that time, and tried to hide it by going around with a serious/mean expression on my face. I did not realize, until those comments, that a contributing factor to my not attracting women was my expression.

When I got to college I really made an effort, and it did make a difference. Even when being teased or made fun of, I just tried to laugh and brush it off - and more than a few times the women whom had teased or even insulted me later became my friends (a few wanted to be more than friends, but my Bunnie already had my heart by that time).

So just look at the way you carry yourself. It is something different for everyone, but I try to go through life looking approachable, friendly, confident - but not taking myself too seriously, and willing to laugh at myself with others. Just something to consider.

5. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

I totally agree with the others regarding expression. I can find both men and women intimidating just based on how they are coming across.

6. Mittimer

Gold Member

I'm going to also agree with the expression and such. Body language and tone also plays into whether or not I'm intimidated by a male.

It really depends. Some of the biggest meanest looking guys can speak and then all I can think is "Awww! TEDDY BEAR"
    While others make me want to run and hide.

7. Squeak

Squeak New Member

We all judge by appearances and make assumptions. If you say you don't, you're lying. It's not a conscious thing, it's one of self-preservation. We instinctively gravitate towards those we deem safe and trust worthy, and shy away from those who don't.

From the way you describe yourself, you sound like you have the "bad boy" look going for you. Unfortunately, there's nothing really you can do about that, save for start wearing t-shirts with teddy bears on them or something.

I think gender doesn't really play a part in this. It's how you carry yourself, as others have said. Confidence is sexy, arrogance is not.

The best thing you can do is hope the people you come in contact with can see past you exterior and get to know the real you. :)

8. HardRocker

Gold Member

:lol He might get his ass kicked if he goes out in public like that.

9. madrox0311

madrox0311 New Member

funny you should mention a teddy bear shirt. i rocked a sesame street shirt to class today and i didn't even get beat up :)